Bought a microwave

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought a microwave

Bought a microwave to thaw food from a freezer I was given. It was reduced from 79.99 to 29.99, then I used my nectar points (Argos shop) and got it for 12.00.

Now I need to find what to do with it - other than simply thaw food!

Anyone here use one? Any tips? I was wondering how well it cooks, for example, sweet potato? Butternut squash?

I don't intend to use it for most cooking - roasts will be done in the oven as always, most veg steamed or boiled (unless I find that the m/w does them well) and stocks etc in the slowcooker.

Any advice (other than "throw it out"!) most welcome.

I cook potatoes in mine, heat up leftovers, steam vegetables, sometimes make eggs etc. I actually use the microwave alot.
    "Live Free or Die"

Comment

You can microwave bacon at about a minute per stick. Be sure to put a paper towel over and under.
      I hate waiting for bacon, haha.

It cooks acorn squash pretty well too!
      5 foot 5 female.
      Starting weight 187 (10/4/10)
      Got knocked up; Had 3rd babby.
      Current weight 128 (8/20/2012)
      Goal weight 150 (pre-pregnancy weight); Goal weight #2 135 (ideal); Newest goal? RIPPED. I WANNA BE RIPPED.

"Bring a knife to a gun fight--stab them while they're laughing"
      "You were born a winner- you were the fastest sperm"
      I prefer to take life advice from courage wolf

Comment

BEST EVER for re-heating leftovers & coffee.

Grizz

Comment

I find there's no better way to cook veggies. You lose no flavour to cooking water (you need add no water - just chop, put in a covered glass dish and nuke). Carrots are unbelievable this way, but you can do brocolli, cauli, fennel, anything really. Well not cabbage. At least I don't think so. Best way to cook veg IMO.
          My primal journal
          You might find these handy: Free gluten free restaurant cards in 50+ languages
          In Praise of the Primal Lifestyle

Comment

Originally posted by racingsnake View Post
            I find there's no better way to cook veggies. You lose no flavour to cooking water (you need add no water - just chop, put in a covered glass dish and nuke). Carrots are unbelievable this way, but you can do brocolli, cauli, fennel, anything really. Well not cabbage. At least I don't think so. Best way to cook veg IMO.
            Cooked red cabbage with goat butter in the micro today for lunch. Amazing.
            Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

Comment

You can do sweet potato in a microwave just like regular spuds - including starting it off in the microwave and finishing it in the oven.

Comment

Brilliant! Thanks for the ideas. Bacon - Yum!

Might be a good way to cook kippered herring too - or would the inside of the microwave smell bad for days?!

Comment

Ooh, just remembered - beetroot. Fresh beetroot microwaved is a veggie experience from heaven.
                  My primal journal

Comment

I LOVE beetroot! How long does it take? ~Does it need water? Do you skin it first or not?

Comment

Oh man, you're going to rediscover it too. If you can grow some yourself even better - eating it 30 minutes after picking it is amazing. Just scrub, keeping the skin as intact as possible to keep the juice in. Time - trial and error but I would do 3 medium beets for 6-7 minutes on full with 3 or 4 minutes resting after - or let cool completely. No water needed.
                      My primal journal

Comment

Originally posted by breadsauce View Post
                        Might be a good way to cook kippered herring too - or would the inside of the microwave smell bad for days?!
                        Or weeks?

Squeeze some lemon juice into hot water and heat that in your microwave before wiping it out - has a good deodorising effect.

Comment

My grandad always cooked salmon fillets in the microwave. They were perfectly delicious, with butter and lemon and garlic on top before cooking. Years after he moved out of that farmhouse, the kitchen still had a vaguely fishy aroma. Proceed with caution.

Comment

Working...
                          X