Trying to get used to the idea of eating more fat and pork

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to get used to the idea of eating more fat and pork

I am loving the primal lifestyle so far after two weeks. I am gaining energy and feel more healthy. Previously I did Fat Flush by Ann Louise Gittleman. I feel like I learned a lot from her, but I couldn't deal with the anal structure of her original plan and the OCD nature of it. I was quite successful for awhile, however. Anyway, I'm finding some cognitive dissonance with fat being allowed so much more freely. On FF, it was very restricted. I suppose I would like to hear others experiences going from a lower fat plan and how you made the mental adjustment. I'm sure I will adapt in time. I just sauteed some spinach in bacon grease

Also, I was used to avoiding pork. Gittleman is very concerned with parasites and I had almost sworn off of pork totally. I never see any concern regarding parasites on here and lots of talk of rare meat (which I love, both sushi and rare steak).

Any thoughts on the above would be welcome.
    True healthcare reform starts in your kitchen, not in Washington. ~Anonymous
    The worst carrot is better than the best candybar.--TornadoGirl

My only advice is to take it slow on a lot of fat at one meal--especially if you have been restricting fat until recently. My gallbladder complains if I eat too much-ouch! I get ~50% of my calories from fat--yum!
    Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
    Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
    Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

I had a "f- it" attitude towards adding or not subtracting fat from meals. At first I was like "this goes against everything I know... but wait I just realized I know nothing at all" and I jumped in, I didn't go too crazy right away, started eating more bacon, bought some coconut oil, etc. Take it slow if you need to. Eat avocados in salads, cook in bacon grease or coconut oil, etc. It's fun. Be wary of carbs not of fat.
      I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

I don't know who Gittleman is but 1) your body uses fat for all kinds of things, if you don't any at all eventually you'll die and 2) intestinal parasite from pork? That's really really rare. We are all *supposedly* buying our meats from local organic pasture-rich farms, where puppies never grow old and rainbows sprout from cow's asses everyday, so there can't be any parasites in our food!!!
        If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Comment

Actually factory farming is what has wiped out trichinosis in pigs... as much as I hate to admit it. Most of those pigs never touch dirt with their feet in their entire lives so they don't get the trichina worms passed on.

Trichinosis really is a thing of the past... I don't eat rare pork but I do it it slightly pink though.

Comment

tfarny--haha. I do eat a lot of avocados which I do well with. I also am still on whole fat yogurt for smoothies and some cheese. I also eat nuts daily. I am slowly getting used to the idea that I can panfry again in animal fat. I haven't gone "hog-wild". I don't really know how much fat is optimal so I'm still being cautious.
            True healthcare reform starts in your kitchen, not in Washington. ~Anonymous
            The worst carrot is better than the best candybar.--TornadoGirl

Comment

In circles where undercooked/raw consumption of game animals increases you also find an increased rate of parasite infections. Some animals you're just probably going to want to be sure to cook to 145F. All proteins denature eventually with enough temperature and time, parasites are no different. While I wouldn't think of eating a tenderloin that isn't nice and red on the inside you can take some simple steps to avoid parasites. At 145F all of the parasites will be dead, this is an instant sort of thing and cooked meat normally rises at least 3-5F for the few minutes following removing it from the oven/pan as part of the resting process. This means you can actually get away with cooking the item to 140F and just letting it sit for 5-10 minutes (which if you're a serious cook you'd always do anyways) before cutting into it. If you're looking at roasted ribs or something else that you know you're going to be cooking for a very long time (shoulder roast) then you can get away with much much lower temperatures even as low as 125F (internal temp) for 3 hours.

Enjoy the pig, savor the pig!
              "You can demonstrate the purpose and limits of human digestion with a simple experiment: eat a steak with some whole corn kernels, and see what comes out the other end. It won’t be the steak."
              -J.Stanton

Comment

Originally posted by jspradley View Post
                Actually factory farming is what has wiped out trichinosis in pigs... as much as I hate to admit it. Most of those pigs never touch dirt with their feet in their entire lives so they don't get the trichina worms passed on.

Trichinosis really is a thing of the past... I don't eat rare pork but I do it it slightly pink though.
                So this would mean wild pigs (which I hope to be trapping soon) could be a source of Trichinosis?
                Started my journey on May 22, 2010:

Beginning weight ~180
                Current weight ~145

Nov. 9, 2009........Nov. 9, 2010.....Jun. 17, 2011
                LDL 155...............LDL 176............LDL 139
                HDL 39................HDL 66..............HDL 95
                TGL 154..............TGL 77..............TGL 49

Comment

Originally posted by kcult View Post
                  So this would mean wild pigs (which I hope to be trapping soon) could be a source of Trichinosis?
                  Yep.

Cook dat shit yo!

I LOVE me some wild game but it's vital that you cook it properly to kill any parasites. No rare deer, wild pig, or moose for me! lol

Comment

Originally posted by shat View Post
                    I don't really know how much fat is optimal so I'm still being cautious.
                    70-80% of your calories coming from fat, and almost all the rest from protein, is optimal.
                    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Comment

I still struggle with getting enough fat in. Sometimes it's a mental thing and sometimes, when I travel, it's difficult to actually find high fat foods in restaurants. I was in Panera Bread yesterday (I'm traveling on biz) and got a salad but they didn't have any olive oil for my salad. All they had were vingerettes which can be pretty high in sugar.

Comment

Originally posted by profdjj View Post
                        I still struggle with getting enough fat in. Sometimes it's a mental thing and sometimes, when I travel, it's difficult to actually find high fat foods in restaurants. I was in Panera Bread yesterday (I'm traveling on biz) and got a salad but they didn't have any olive oil for my salad. All they had were vingerettes which can be pretty high in sugar.
                        Panera is carb-heaven, that's all you can find in there.
                        I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

Originally posted by shat View Post
                          I don't really know how much fat is optimal so I'm still being cautious.
                          Experiment! There seems to be some variation from person to person, depending on things like activity level, overall goals, and degree of insulin resistance. I like to keep mine at 50-60% of total calories, but there are people who thrive on more or less.
                          The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Comment

Originally posted by iniQuity View Post
                            I had a "f- it" attitude towards adding or not subtracting fat from meals. At first I was like "this goes against everything I know... but wait I just realized I know nothing at all" and I jumped in, I didn't go too crazy right away, started eating more bacon, bought some coconut oil, etc. Take it slow if you need to. Eat avocados in salads, cook in bacon grease or coconut oil, etc. It's fun. Be wary of carbs not of fat.
                            Great advice stated so simply! Start slow. The thing I love most about this Primal stuff is that you get to know your body! Unlike the ADA, your body actually knows what it needs (when it's fueled appropriately). Cravings do mean something - when food pyramid proselytizers talk about combatting cravings, I want to scream - YOU ARE HAVING CRAVINGS BECAUSE YOUR BODY IS MISSING SOMETHING! I use coconut oil, coconut milk, grass-fed Ghee from Pure Indian Foods, rendered lard from a local farm, and pemmican from US Wellness Meats. Nora Gedgaudas' book Primal Body, Primal Mind talks about fat in detail. She advocates a high-fat, moderate protein, low-carb diet and is very vocal about how critical fat is to bodily systems.

Originally posted by tfarny View Post
                            I don't know who Gittleman is but 1) your body uses fat for all kinds of things, if you don't any at all eventually you'll die and 2) intestinal parasite from pork? That's really really rare. We are all *supposedly* buying our meats from local organic pasture-rich farms, where puppies never grow old and rainbows sprout from cow's asses everyday, so there can't be any parasites in our food!!!
                            Laugh out loud. I wondered where all those rainbows arching in a grand explosion of color over my local farm were coming from.
                            Liz
                            Steve's Original
                            CaveGirlEats

Comment

i wouldn't worry about it so much. just eat. you'll find the right balance.

Comment

Working...
                              X