gals over 50?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mizski View Post
    have lost 130#s since the Fall of 2009. Biggest noticeable benefit from going grain-free was no more osteo-arthritis in my hip
    A huge congratulations! What an awesome weight loss.

I wish going grain free would resolve my hip osteo. I am afraid I will be having hip replacement in the near future unless I can resolve the pain. I feel too young at 57 to be having this problem. Any other hip sufferers out there?

Comment

it may not help, but a lot of people do well with a combination of yoga and acupuncture or other form of energy healing for arthritis.

Comment

Originally posted by zoebird View Post
        it may not help, but a lot of people do well with a combination of yoga and acupuncture or other form of energy healing for arthritis.
        Zoe I'll look into both, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by zoebird View Post
          +1 EFT can be really helpful if the pain is related to an old injury or trauma.
          Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
          Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
          Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

I am 56 and I've been on the Primal Lifestyle for a couple of weeks. I am getting the eating down pretty well, and dealing with the challenges of living with a man who loves to cook and experiments with pie, etc almost daily. He has no interest in PB. But, I'm concerned about the exercise. I have osteo in both knees, the left is bone on bone. I have heel spurs on both feet and a neuroma on one foot. This from 13 hours shifts on concrete floors. Question, is there hope that I will be able to do the exercise portion of the program? I really would like to lose about 40 pounds but my real goal is to get healthier!
            Reading this thread has been so inspirational-thanks to everyone who posted!!!

Comment

I have just learned about this thread. I've been hoping to find a band of lady silver-backs here, and I have!

I'm 57 with sleep apnea. Have been on the Primal path just over two months. Have lost fifteen pounds--down to 231 from 246. Still having trouble with exercise. Getting better with wall push-ups. A recent bout with a Bad Bug of some sort has left me tired. More sleep is helping that.

Here's a question: I am chained to a desk most every day at work. Winter has curtailed taking a nice walk at lunch. What to do to break up the monotony?

Comment

Originally posted by Cyndi View Post
                I am 56 and I've been on the Primal Lifestyle for a couple of weeks. I am getting the eating down pretty well, and dealing with the challenges of living with a man who loves to cook and experiments with pie, etc almost daily. He has no interest in PB. But, I'm concerned about the exercise. I have osteo in both knees, the left is bone on bone. I have heel spurs on both feet and a neuroma on one foot. This from 13 hours shifts on concrete floors. Question, is there hope that I will be able to do the exercise portion of the program? I really would like to lose about 40 pounds but my real goal is to get healthier!
                Reading this thread has been so inspirational-thanks to everyone who posted!!!
                Hi Cyndi - I always heard water exercise helps folks with osteo and it should be ok on your feet too. Do you have a pool nearby that you could go to a couple times a week?
                I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Entwyf - I find myself in the same boat. Winter is too harsh here for me to get outside and walk safely. I have a treadmill but it bores me to tears. I'm trying to still walk on it two - three times a week, and then do some exercising on the floor on off days. It really isn't much or enough - it seems.

Cathy
                  I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Comment

I am 52 and post menopausal - I lost 115 pounds on WW (goal May 2007), but when I started menopause in 2008, I started having trouble maintaining that weight. After my hysterectomy in 2009, I gained 20-25 pounds that I can't seem to get rid of. After reading Gary Taubes book on why we get fat, it seemed that my problems were caused by carbs...so I am going to try paleo. I have dabbled with it in the past, and did loose some weight with Atkins about 10 years ago. So we'll see how it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrianag View Post
                      I wish going grain free would resolve my hip osteo. I am afraid I will be having hip replacement in the near future unless I can resolve the pain. I feel too young at 57 to be having this problem. Any other hip sufferers out there?
                      I also noticed that eliminating or restricting nightshades helped me. That was hard for me during the summer with the local farmer's markets but it's pretty easy in the winter when only plastic tomatoes and peppers imported from Mars are available.

I swear by Qi Gong for joint pain and overall improvement of balance and stability. I very much like Lee Holden's DVDs (he's also on PBS).
                      312/149/150

Comment

mizcki, wow, what a weight loss.....in such a short time!!! 130 in just over a yr???? well now........ if you could do that, it makes my weight loss goals look way more possible! You are a winner!!! Isn't it great to hear of such things achieved by older gals?
                        Last edited by janagram; 01-14-2011, 01:44 PM.

Comment

http://www1.snapfish.com/snapfish/th...NAME=snapfish/

Me at 52.

Long-distance cycling and Crossfit.

Comment

PrimalwannabeGirl, do people need to set up an acct in order to view your photos? (I was prompted to register on that site)

On another subject, I would love to hear how you fuel yourself for your long distance cycling. I am going to be doing some long rides this year and I have been wondering how to manage it, whether to abandon the low carb thing on those days...seems like that's what most people do. I don't want to crash and burn.
                            I'm a quitter...but I'm back now.

Comment

Try this: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...0&l=e9a4f4a267 for me at 52.

For the kind of cycling I did, I didn't need to fuel with anything special for rides up to 50 miles. A banana afterwards was sufficient if it wasn't time for a regular meal. For multi-day long rides (like cycling across New York State) I did carry trail mix with dried fruit, dried coconut flakes and salted nuts. The fruit was great energy, the salt was good and the coconut and nuts provided longer-lasting fat energy. LOTS of water.

Since I wasn't racing, just basically cycling all day and stopping for meals, I didn't need to carry much besides the water and little baggies of my trail mix. We stopped at restaurants and I would eat applesauce a lot.

PWG

Comment

I love home-made trail mix!! It's great to keep in the car too, for times when your starving and your next meal is a few hours away......

Comment

Working...
                                X