No announcement yet.

gals over 50?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Classic, the GAPS looks very complicated and I would need some more equipment I think. I will try and see if I can get the book from the library, Ive bought so many books and alot have been rubbish. However the stews and soups thing looks interesting and I do like good comforting food in the winter and often make both soups and stews.
    Ive not had success with may ginger bug, I think temperature fluctuations have been the problem and I will start again and use my seed propagator in the greenhouse and see if a constant temperature does the trick. I am assuming that I would need this for sauerkraut ? Ive never done this and have never even tasted it. Dosnt life take you off at odd tangents. better go and brush up on that too.
    thanks, barbara

Comment

• The only ingredients my husband uses for sauerkraut are shredded cabbage and salt. He adds a few spices to jazz it up a bit but they are optional.
      Original Goal: To lose weight. Achieved in March 2010
      Long Term Goals: To continue using Primal guidlines to improve fitness and health. To share the Primal message.

The key to successful aging is to pay as little attention to it as possible - Judith Regan

Comment

• Hi Kahiba, does a natural ferentation process take place then ? I need to look into this abit more. Sauerkraut isnt a big thing in the UK.I dont think I've ever tasted it. We have pickled red cabbage, thats about it.

Comment

• Hi iateallthepies. We got the recipe from balancedbites.com. I think it was January 2012 and called easy-recipe-raw-sauerkraut.
          On the last page Diane gives a few variations but Alan usually adds 4 garlic cloves, 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper, and 1 teaspoon dried thyme.
          Original Goal: To lose weight. Achieved in March 2010
          Long Term Goals: To continue using Primal guidlines to improve fitness and health. To share the Primal message.

The key to successful aging is to pay as little attention to it as possible - Judith Regan

Comment

• Originally posted by iateallthepies View Post
            Hi Classic, the GAPS looks very complicated and I would need some more equipment I think. I will try and see if I can get the book from the library, Ive bought so many books and alot have been rubbish. However the stews and soups thing looks interesting and I do like good comforting food in the winter and often make both soups and stews.
            Ive not had success with may ginger bug, I think temperature fluctuations have been the problem and I will start again and use my seed propagator in the greenhouse and see if a constant temperature does the trick. I am assuming that I would need this for sauerkraut ? Ive never done this and have never even tasted it. Dosnt life take you off at odd tangents. better go and brush up on that too.
            thanks, barbara
            Another reason for your bug not working may be the ginger you are using. Try for organic if you can. I just read that some ginger gets irradiated so that would kill all the beneficial things on the skin of the ginger which create the environment for ferment. The reason we use roots like ginger are because they have protective enzymes on them that prevent rotting in the soil. Those enzymes are what keep out any bad things that might want to grow with sugar and provide the invironment for a good fermentation process.
            Fermenting things is always an experiment. It always comes out different but is always interesting. Good luck.

Comment

• Originally posted by kahiba View Post
              The only ingredients my husband uses for sauerkraut are shredded cabbage and salt. He adds a few spices to jazz it up a bit but they are optional.
              Sauerkraut fermentation is lacto fermetation as well and you could use some of the juice from that to make fruit soda but it may have a weird taste. The "ginger bug" does not affect the taste of the fruit sodas.

I just picked our first big cabbages yesterday and will start a batch of sauerkraut today. There is nothing like home made sauerkraut eh?

Anybody do any other kinds of fermentation out there? I would love to hear about it. I highly recommend Sandor Katz's book "Wild Fermentation" to anyone just starting out or Sally Fallon's "Traditional Nutrition".

Comment

• Kahiba,
                What kind of spice does your husband throw in his sauerkraut? I have used juniper berries and caraway seeds.

Comment

• Hi Classic, you may be right. It wasnt labelled organic and there was only one sort. In fact I dont think I have ever seen organic offered. I may have to dig deeper into that and see if I can find a source. Dont you just hate it that everything is messed with ??
                  BTW what veriety of cabbage do you grow for sauerkraut ? I have some cabbages ready now .

Comment

• I think our cabbage was called Fremont but any round headed cabbage will do and I bet any cabbage family plants would work although I haven't tried nappa or others. They use different cabbages for Kimchi so try whatever you have.

Comment

• Sorry, ladies, sauerkraut is one thing that I have never found a liking for! I have no desire either. Now, pan broiled cabbage with vinegar and spices.......love it and we have that at least once a week. BBQ went well yesterday, ate steak, marinated veggies, a little caesar salad without croutons....it was the brownie for dessert and several glasses of wine that took the toll. But I guess if this is to become my new WOE that these days will come and go and one just needs to plan somewhat for them.

Off to the golf course today, walking 9 holes should help out the effects of yesterday, I would think!

Anxious to weigh in this week and see if this WOE is starting to make the lbs dissolve..........ha, ha! Dream on!

By the way, I didn't have any sweats last night from either the wine or the coffee that I had.

Donna

Comment

• No worries Badabing. The thing I like best about this WOE is that if I mess up for a couple of days it only takes a day or two to feel back to my old self. I have been eating this way for over two years now though but I seem to remember that I felt much better, even in the beginning, a few days after I started this WOE.
                        BTW congrats on not having any ill response for your nights sleep.

Comment

• well you ladies do seem to do differnt things with cabbage.I have never heard of pan broiled AND with vinegarr and spices. I just steam mine lightly...very boreing.

Comment

• I like to make fermented pickles and also a blend of hot and mild peppers. I ferment them in quart size jars. For the pickles I use the pickling cucumbers with mustard seeds, sea salt and dill. For the peppers I use mustard seeds, sometimes dill or Italian spices and i add onions or cloves of garlic and sea salt. I make probably 20 jars of these in the summer and we eat them all year as a condiment with our meals. We are not huge fans of sauerkraut. I have also made some of the other fermented recipes in Nourishing Traditions, but find we eat the pickles and peppers the most.

Speaking of cabbage, my favorite way to eat it is sauteed in some olive oil with salt and pepper, put a lid on the pan and cook till tender.

Comment

• I'm so grateful to be able to pass this concept ON! I'm going to be 70 this year, started Primal last September and it's been wonderful for me. 30 lbs. of excess weight dropped off, GERD is gone, hernia isn't tender any more, mood swings evaporated, BP is pretty much normalized.

I suggested they try it it to a young friend who'd just been diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis and another who'd suffered horrible allergies most of her life...and recently they've both told me how much better they are. Makes me tear up I'm so happy! Both are young mothers and have a wonderful life ahead of them...HOORAY!
                              Best--
                              Kate

Still Craving Pterodactyl--my Primal Blueprint blog

70 is the new 50--without the hot flashes!

Goals: Feel good, be stronger, and hopefully kick that arthritis in the backside! Oh, yeah, and losing more weight would be okay, too.

Comment

• That news is exciting Kate. I love to here successes of people we pass along our new found knowledge and personal success to. And oh so sustainable way to live.
                                I wish I had discovered this when I was in my 30's when I was in my peak physical condition. I still had a lot of aches and pains that would not have been there if the inflammation would not have existed. Ah well I am thankful for what I have now as well. I try to share with everyone I can also.

Comment

Working...
                                X