gals over 50?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by janagram View Post
    I lost a bunch of weight last year this time....eating paleo, very low carb.
    But then a few months ago, I began to put it all back on...(emotional reason, death in the family) though I still ate primally, with a little sugar being sneaked in, as in ice cream
    ....so now I try to remember what did I eat then?
    I had 2 poached eggs for brkfst, 2 natural hot dogs for lunch (plain, with mustard)
    ....and really can;t remember what dinner was......(vegetables, anyone?)
    There must be a happy medium.....cuz I need to get this weight back down!!! I feel I need a monodiet. The perfect brkfst, the perfect lunch, the perfect dinner....and repeat (changing out the dinner meat)....any ideas?
    I was just eating to keep my body going, not for pleasure.....!!!!
    I lost 15 lbs when I first started primal two years ago then did not lose anymore till last month. I decided to cut out all dairy, wine and what little sugar I was eating and I lost 10 lbs in two weeks. I was also drinking lots of bone broth. I should mention that we are building a house now and I was spending a lot of time putting shingles on the house etc. (after sitting at a desk for years with just only gym workouts a few times a week). I am not sure what made the biggest impact in this change but is was a nice surprise.

I find eating primally very pleasurable and I rarely feel deprived of anything. If I am really craving a cookie I eat one and then I am fine for months.

Sounds like you like routine. You must need to find some quick easy meals that give you some satisfaction in eating and experiment with things to leave out for awhile (like dairy) to see what your triggers are.

I don't approach food by saying I will never eat _______ again. I always say I will stop eating _____ for a month and see how I feel.
    Things don't seem so daunting then.

Two years ago I said I would try primal for 30 days and see how I feel and I have never looked back.
    Last edited by Classic; 03-09-2012, 08:22 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Classic View Post
      Two years ago I said I would try primal for 30 days and see how I feel and I have never looked back.
      I LOVE that, Classic!
      Best--
      Kate

Still Craving Pterodactyl--my Primal Blueprint blog

70 is the new 50--without the hot flashes!

Goals: Feel good, be stronger, and hopefully kick that arthritis in the backside! Oh, yeah, and losing more weight would be okay, too.

Comment

• Hey Kate,
        This is the easiest eating plan I have ever done. It is so simple and filling. The fact that we get sooooo many nutrients that we were missing when eating Low Fat really helps with eliminating cravings for sugar or anything else. I never would have believed it. I do remember how foreign it seemed when I started eating this way. It seemed really daunting. Now it seems easier than anything else.

It is a little harder to go out to eat but we don't eat out that much anyway. It is usually breakfast that we go for and we just ask that our eggs be cooked in butter instead of oil. No one has a problem with doing that. They do still raise their eyebrows when I say "no toast thank you". I just get an extra side of bacon instead. It is a good deal when they give you extra bacon for the same price toast would be. haha

Comment

• Originally posted by Classic View Post
          Hey Kate,
          This is the easiest eating plan I have ever done. It is so simple and filling. The fact that we get sooooo many nutrients that we were missing when eating Low Fat really helps with eliminating cravings for sugar or anything else. I never would have believed it. I do remember how foreign it seemed when I started eating this way. It seemed really daunting. Now it seems easier than anything else.

It is a little harder to go out to eat but we don't eat out that much anyway. It is usually breakfast that we go for and we just ask that our eggs be cooked in butter instead of oil. No one has a problem with doing that. They do still raise their eyebrows when I say "no toast thank you". I just get an extra side of bacon instead. It is a good deal when they give you extra bacon for the same price toast would be. haha
          I agree, it's a piece of cake--if I were still eating that stuff! Nothing to count, and the food is so great I never feel like I'm denying myself anything. Last time I lost weight I was eating well under 1000 calories a day...guess how long that lasted! I really do feel a lot better physically...
          Best--
          Kate

Goals: Feel good, be stronger, and hopefully kick that arthritis in the backside! Oh, yeah, and losing more weight would be okay, too.

Comment

• Just noticed this thread! I turned 50 in January, together with terrible hot flashes.
            Sadly a change in diet doesnt seem to have helped in that dept much. Just purchased progesterone cream so am going to try that as many on this forum have mentioned it.

I think us 50+ ladies are at a bit of a disadvantage as we are fighting to not put on the extra weight that the menopause wants to put on! Im still very thick around the middle and it wont budge! My weight hasnt moved much either - well not at all actually - but I am a smaller size.
            Id love to budge this belly bulge. What do others of this age do?
            I'm not a complete idiot! There's parts missing!!

Comment

• Just want to say hi to everybody here....I'm Pea, going to be 57 in July. I have some health challenges so I have to adapt some Primal Principles to work for me, but besides diet, I have really been working on Move Around A Lot Slowly.

My goals are modest: I want to lose another 25 pounds, I want to decrease my inflammatory markers, and I want to feel more energetic. To that end, I am currently focusing on Moving Around A Lot Slowly. Today I increase my usual walk from 40 minutes to 60.

But years ago, before I got ill and gained all this weight, I used to really Lift Heavy Things. That changed my body composition more than anything.

I've got to work that in my week somehow.

Pea

Comment

• Originally posted by PrimalWannabeGirl View Post
                Just want to say hi to everybody here....I'm Pea, going to be 57 in July. I have some health challenges so I have to adapt some Primal Principles to work for me, but besides diet, I have really been working on Move Around A Lot Slowly.

My goals are modest: I want to lose another 25 pounds, I want to decrease my inflammatory markers, and I want to feel more energetic. To that end, I am currently focusing on Moving Around A Lot Slowly. Today I increase my usual walk from 40 minutes to 60.

But years ago, before I got ill and gained all this weight, I used to really Lift Heavy Things. That changed my body composition more than anything.

Pea
                I, too, will be 57 in July on the 6th...when is your b'day?

Comment

• Originally posted by PrimalWannabeGirl View Post
                  Just want to say hi to everybody here....I'm Pea, going to be 57 in July. I have some health challenges so I have to adapt some Primal Principles to work for me, but besides diet, I have really been working on Move Around A Lot Slowly.

Pea
                  I, too, will be 57 in July on the 6th...when is your b'day?

Comment

• Originally posted by dkd2001 View Post
                    Get yourself a timer for the office -- set it for a maximum of an hour and then get up and do some stretches, wander around the office, do some jumping jacks, whatever. Rinse and repeat. More often if possible.
                    Excellent tip. Older travelers are advised to stop, stretch and walk awhile every 2 hours. Why do I think I can sit at the computer for 4 hours at a time! Will take your advice.

I lost 40 lbs with South Beach and was a long-timer. To tweak my loss there, guess what I had to do. Watch CARBS!
                    When a friend asked me to do PB with them, I reviewed it and knew it would be a healthy lifestyle--that would work.

When I gain weight, my right knee hurts, my cholesterol goes up, yeast infections galore and other aches and pains.
                    I'm on cholesterol medication for the first time in my life (because I didn't lose the fat) and I'm hoping to be able to
                    dump it with PB.

I ordered the books, but haven't received them yet and reading threads to learn about the plan.
                    This is the best thread I've discovered.
                    The support and friendship of the "over 40" group at the SB forum was very encouraging.
                    Haven't seen anything like that at PB forum, but this thread is close.

Imagine a section just for "over 40" with various topics -- and you can see how it could be a good thing.
                    (I just turned 60, hope to lose those 40 lbs AGAIN)

Comment

• Originally posted by Chatty View Post
                      Excellent tip. Older travelers are advised to stop, stretch and walk awhile every 2 hours. Why do I think I can sit at the computer for 4 hours at a time! Will take your advice.

I lost 40 lbs with South Beach and was a long-timer. To tweak my loss there, guess what I had to do. Watch CARBS!
                      When a friend asked me to do PB with them, I reviewed it and knew it would be a healthy lifestyle--that would work.

When I gain weight, my right knee hurts, my cholesterol goes up, yeast infections galore and other aches and pains.
                      I'm on cholesterol medication for the first time in my life (because I didn't lose the fat) and I'm hoping to be able to
                      dump it with PB.

I ordered the books, but haven't received them yet and reading threads to learn about the plan.
                      This is the best thread I've discovered.
                      The support and friendship of the "over 40" group at the SB forum was very encouraging.
                      Haven't seen anything like that at PB forum, but this thread is close.

Imagine a section just for "over 40" with various topics -- and you can see how it could be a good thing.
                      (I just turned 60, hope to lose those 40 lbs AGAIN)

You can start out with gentle lifts and stretches, too...I love my Thera-band, and I do some light yoga. (I just don't do the poses my knees hate!) I've lost 25+ lbs since September on PB, need to lose more for my knees' sake, but I'm a LOT better. I lift light weights, too...and I'm 67. You GO girl!
                      Best--
                      Kate

Comment

• Originally posted by Kate Ruckman View Post
                        You can start out with gentle lifts and stretches, too...I love my Thera-band, and I do some light yoga. (I just don't do the poses my knees hate!) I've lost 25+ lbs since September on PB, need to lose more for my knees' sake, but I'm a LOT better. I lift light weights, too...and I'm 67. You GO girl!
                        Wow! YOU are the one going! I lifted weights with SB and had much rather lift weight than "bounce around to a video."
                        Guess I was never intended to be a cheerleader with all that bouncy rhythm.

Comment

• Hey everyone. I'm only 48, but feel much older. Had a total hip replacement at 46, which I dislocated 7 months later. The past several years have been filled with pain, depression and weight gain. In January I gave up wheat and sugar, followed by low carb, now moving toward primal. I've been primal in lifestyle (without calling it that) for most of my adult life. Cutting firewood for heat, hauling water, eating game and berries. I've always been extremely active which is how I kept my weight in check, although I always struggled with weight. I would guess my caloric intake to have been about 3,000-4,000 calories a day, with a hefty majority of that being carbs and beer. Since going low carb I eat about 2,000 calories a day and mostly feel satiated. I have added IF for healing as well as calorie control. I have started doing a lot of bone broth, this makes so much sense to me. I wish I had learned years ago about Wheat Belly and the wheat/arthritis connection. I started out at 234 and now have lost 27 pounds to 207. My goal is 170, but I have no idea where I'm headed with this. Where ever my body settles will be fine. So far I'm sleeping better, less muscle and bone pain, softer skin and no cracked heels, lower blood pressure, joint pain still there in various parts of my body but not getting worse like it was. "They" say you can't rebuild cartilage, but I'm trying anyway. Oh yeah, and my pain sent me into early menopause. Lots of hot flashes (but not when I'm fasting!), I'd like to stay away from taking hormones if possible. My exercise is biking so I have added sprint to my biking, can't do the primal lifting due to joint issues. There is a great thread on lowcarber.org called Lab Rats on a quest that is mostly older women struggling to lose weight even with VLC. They have a lot of great insights and links. Best of luck to everyone out there. We are all lucky to have found this lifestyle and be open to it. It has changed my life for the better.

Comment

Wow! YOU are the one going! I lifted weights with SB and had much rather lift weight than "bounce around to a video."
                            Guess I was never intended to be a cheerleader with all that bouncy rhythm.
                            LOL! Nope, no cheerleader here, either. Not only would my knees take exception to that plan, it's just not me.

And what's SB?
                            Best--
                            Kate

Comment

• Originally posted by Kate Ruckman View Post
                              LOL! Nope, no cheerleader here, either. Not only would my knees take exception to that plan, it's just not me.

And what's SB?
                              SB = South Beach eating plan. I lost 40 pounds there (but was hungry all time). Until I figured out how to make SB work -- keep the carbs low!

When I reviewed the PB plan, I knew it was for me!

Comment

SB = South Beach eating plan. I lost 40 pounds there (but was hungry all time). Until I figured out how to make SB work -- keep the carbs low!

When I reviewed the PB plan, I knew it was for me!
                                I should have figured that out! My family keeps doing South Beach and complaining about how hard it is. And I just smile...
                                Best--
                                Kate

Comment

Working...
                                X