No announcement yet.

gals over 50?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't know what foods you eat but I found that too many nuts were a problem for me, so now I measure out 20g and make that do. Try to restrict very starchy vegetables as well. If you're trying to lose weight they bump up the cals quite quickly. I tracked my food for a long time just so I could learn about the food values and now I can mostly guess what I can eat and the amounts. I still juggle though, eg. if I have sweet potato then I don't have pumpkin. HTH
    Original Goal: To lose weight. Achieved in March 2010
    Long Term Goals: To continue using Primal guidlines to improve fitness and health. To share the Primal message.

The key to successful aging is to pay as little attention to it as possible - Judith Regan

Comment

• I am 56 and have problems in that I have a lump on the bottom of my foot, can't pronounce or spell what it is but I work on concrete for 10 hours a day and have to wear steel toed boots! I work in the film industry sometimes (not much work at the moment so high stress) and often we have to lift VERY heavy things and it can be really toxic. I need to lose about 50 pounds, I was a fitness instructor and even worked for Jenny Craig! I have done every diet under the sun and lost and gained the same 80 LB. Now I am concerned about high blood pressure and diabetes.
      I made beef jerky yesterday!

Comment

• Originally posted by violetta59 View Post
        Hi, I'm going to be 60 this year. I've managed to take off some weight during recovery from hip replacements - I started exploring primal eating and found that I had steadier energy, less joint pain (I have a significant amount) and just in general felt better - BUT I've actually been gaining weight though my clothes still fit. This week I'm tracking the food I eat, trying to get a handle on how many calories I'm consuming because I just don't get it. Anyone else having this experience? Any advice? I could use some insight on this.
        I will be 60 this year as well and after losing 15 pounds two years ago when I started eating primal I have not lost very little. I have been feeling amazingly better than before I started so am happy with that but I really would like to lose more weight as well.

I am currently working on lowering stress in my life because I think that may be a key. I do think those of us who are older and have yoyo dieted our entire lives have a much harder time losing. I am trying something new by not focusing on losing but focusing on feeling better this time. I do think the weight will come off eventually when my body heals more after eating CW diets for soooooo many years.

My next thing to work on is minimizing dairy to just cream and butter to see if it helps my digestion some. (and to minimize nuts to just treats occaionally) Ever since I had a round of antibiotics last year I have been having bouts of IBS in the mornings. I grew up in Wisconsin and certainly love my cheese and dairy but I am willing to try minimizing for a time.
        I was thinking of trying the GAPS diet for awhile to see if it helps me heal my digestion issue but it seems like soooo much work. I have added drinking a lot more homemade bone broths lately so perhaps some of this will help.

Glad we are keeping this thread going.

Comment

• Hi -- I turned 62 this Fall, about six or seven months into going Primal, and am very happy to find some like-aged folks in the forums. Any other 50+ folk out there planning to go to PrimalCon 2012?

I've just started an MDA journal, calling it "60 Is the New 40" because I am feeling so much more energetic and happy going Primal. Bodywise, I have had slooooow but positive results. My wonky thyroid may have something to do with it all, but I keep chipping away at this new way to live. I can't imagine turning back now, but some days are still better than others. I figure there's simply more tinkering to do to find just the right balance of food, exercise, sleep, etc. I never really took my body seriously before and am intrigued and amazed at how subtle and complicated it can be!
          My Journal 60 Is the New 40 (more musings, less stats) --
          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread46274.html

Comment

• Glad to see you here Marianne. I think the regained energy part is the best thing about primal, well and the not having arthritic pain any longer too. I too have some thyroid stuff happening. I am hoping that when I get my cortisol in order by lowering stress wherever possible that I may even be able to stop my thyroid med. I am only on 1 grain of Armour but that 1 grain makes a big difference in how I feel sometimes. That is the only medication I take btw. I don't think there are many folks around 60 who can say that. Nearly everyone one I know is on statins except the ones I have talked into going primal.

Comment

• Hi Classic (great screen name for this thread, btw!)

I, too, have had marked reduction in my hand/arm arthritis pain since going primal. I started more serious primal living at the same time that I took early retirement, however, and the huge reduction in daily hours at the keyboard probably helped, too. Being retired definitely helped on the stress front, too! Within a few months I was able to reduced blood pressure meds, and my goal for this year is to kick them entirely. I so sympathize on the stress--such a tricky one.

Do you think it's possible to ever stop thyroid meds? I would love that, but haven't done enough self-education to know what the possibilities are. Any on-line/print resources you might know of to recommend? All the CW doctors I've seen have implied that once your thyroid is trashed, that's it for life. My latest doc, although part of the large CW clinic system I belong to (have to stick with them because of retiree insurance issues...), was at least okay when I told her I would never, ever take statins. Maybe there's hope with her on the thyroid issue too--we'll see.

You keep focusing on feeling better, and not the weight. I really do think that's key. Changing the head/heart can make a huge difference--hang in there!

Comment

• I've also had great results with my arthritis/tendonitis. For years I've had a knot in my right achilles tendon, brought on by plantar fascitis and (probably more so) from the back of walking shoes putting pressure on it. My only recourse was to wear backless shoes for years because the back of any shoe would irritate it. I also have to wear ultimate arch supports. This problem has kept me from being able to 'walk around a lot' for about 10 years. A few weeks ago I noticed that the knot in the tendon is smaller, and I'm finding that I can walk around the house barefoot (first time in years). So I'm gradually walking a little more, paying attention for pain so that I don't overdo it.

I also have a trigger finger (not good for musicians) that has plagued me for awhile, and it appears to be improving as well.

I haven't lost a lot of weight yet, but my clothes are a little looser, and I'm one of those people that builds muscle easily. Muscle weighs more than fat!

I feel great, I feel nourished, and I think I'll start dropping lbs soon, as long as I stay on track!
                Terri the Harp Player
                www.harpsinger.net

Wherever you go, there you are!

Comment

• Marianne,
                  I believe part of the cause of my Thyroid issue was adrenal stress. I don't remember where I read about that. May have been "Stop the thyroid madness" by Janie A. Bowthorpe
                  It seemed to be worse after riding my bike cross country from San Diego to St. Augustine back in 2007. On that trip I experienced both sun poisoning and hypothermia. I believe the stress these two events had on my body really pushed my adrenals into overtime on that long bike ride because I had to get up and ride again the next day if I wanted to continue with the group.

Adrenals play a role in thyroid stuff some how so getting the adrenals back in working order is essential. The last two weeks of that bike ride I was just dragging myself along. I should have been feeling great by then.

Harplady,
                  I had a trigger finger on my right hand that I finally had surgery on. It is great now. I forget that I even had it most of the time. I highly recommend the surgery. The recovery time is pretty quick also.
                  I also had plantar fasceitus (sp) and found that once you can walk around barefoot in the house you need to strengthen your feet. I recommend getting a 2x4 and standing on it with the balls of your foot and gently raise and lower yourself (up and down) with you body wt only to strengthen your foot muscles.
                  I used to have orthotics a very well made running shoes but my feet got worse. After reading some things on this site I realized that all that stuff is like wearing a girdle on your feet. The more you try to protect them the more your foot muscles atrophy. I started doing some foot strengthening exercises and slowly started walking outside in "primal" foot wear like vibrum five finger and Kigo shoes. I never have problems any longer and can even run in these minimalist shoes without pain.
                  Let me know what you discover. Keep us posted.
                  Last edited by Classic; 01-15-2012, 11:40 AM.

Comment

• @ HarpLady - just wanted to say that I suffered from elbow tendonitis for years before going primal. I had 2 cortisone shots and then a little blood transfusion from my vein to the tendon (just like Tiger Woods!) - all to no avail. I was living on ibuprofen to the point where I really impaired my kidney function. I went primal because my energy was in the toilet. My energy was vastly improved within a week or so, so I kept on with primal eating. A couple months later, I realized that all my tendonitis was gone too!!!! Amazing and that alone was worth the switch.

Comment

• Hi Everyone,

How refreshing to find a thread for women over 50. I found it inadvertently and have read about 10 or so of your posts. Looking forward to reading them all but wanted to say 'hi' first.

I do pretty well with the eating aspect of PB, it's the exercise that's my nemesis. I'm petrified of the gym. I went with my son during Christmas and loved it. Even did squats and dead lifts with the giant barbell. He went back home to L.A and I went once alone and couldn't do it. I worked out on a few machines but it's incredibly intimidating even doing that.

I have a stressful job dealing with unhappy customers and I sit all day. When I get home from work I just want a no-brainer existence so I'll usually read or get on the laptop.

For those of you who have mastered the exercise portion of life, what keeps you doing it? What gets you up off the couch to go face the gym?

~Chris

Comment

• Hi Chris -- I, too, am pretty gym-a-phobic. Do you have anyone else you could go with beside your son? With a partner to face it, all that equipment is not so intimidating. And it doesn't necessarily have to be the gym--walks, swimming, Zumba, whatever you might enjoy. I find that scheduling set exercise dates with friends helps me a lot. I may not feel like going, but there they are on my doorstep so off we go. As for the end-of-the-stressful-workday problem, I soooo hear you. How about doing even just a few exercises for a brief set as soon as you walk in the door? No Charles Atlas mega work-out, just something to remind yourself that you have muscles. Like with changing food habits, it's definitely a shift in routine, but when I was able to do this when I was still working it really helped in prioritizing ME over all the cr*p that lingered from the job. Plus then I felt virtuous enough to spend some of the rest of the evening in a "good vigorous sit," as I once heard Glenda Jackson describe her favorite form of exercise :-)

Classic--A friend says there's a good explanation of the adrenal/thyroid connection in "Primal Mind, Primal Body" by Nora Gaugaudas (sp.?). I'm going to try to track this down. -- It sounds like you really did burn out on that bike ride. I suspect most CW doctors work on the theory that for the majority of middle-aged women the thyroid just fades away as our hormones shift. Yes, sure to be some connection there, but obviously from your experience (and presumably the Nora G. explanation) there's so much more going on that CW does not address. I'm very committed to staying primal, and it's going to be interesting to see what might evolve for my thyroid issues and others.

Comment

• Hi Res - Welcome to our group! What gets me off the couch in the most reliable way is having a dog that needs to be walked. She is most consistent exercise partner I could ask for. Often times I don't feel like walking at all, but once we get out there and get going, I start enjoying it and go farther than I had intended to.

As for the lifting heavy things, since I crashed headlong into menopause I haven't been so good at keeping up with that. My energy level is steadier since doing primal, but so much lower than my premenopause days. In my favor I am an RN and walk constantly and lift people at work. Just not keeping up with it on my days off.

Comment

• Hi Marianne,

Everything you said just confirmed what has been bouncing around in my head whenever I don't exercise. It makes so much sense when I'm tucked away at home and safe. This got me, "No Charles Atlas mega work-out, just something to remind yourself that you have muscles." And also what you said about getting it done so you can have a "good vigorous sit." HAHA! I can't even sit in the LR reading a book unless my kitchen is clean - and in order to get that voice in my head that berates me for not going to the gym to Shut UP! I need to suck it up and go work out. That's the plan for tomorrow. Thanks for your response!

~Chris

Comment

• Hi Barb,

Thank you for the welcome.

I have a Hormone doctor and nurse wife couple that I see for hormone replacement and she said I need a dog too. No can do though. I'm single and work full time so it wouldn't be fair to the dog. It's 3 years next month that my wolfy girl of 16 years had to be put down. *sniffle But if I could I would love to bond with a dog again. As it starts getting lighter later I may start walking after work.

I'm in full blown menopause too. I used to love walking in the heat but now I steer clear of anything that has to do with Heat!! It takes it out of me. And that's another reason why I'm on the couch instead of at the gym. Menopause, work stress and life <-- which are all the perfect reason's why I SHOULD be at the gym. haha It's no fair. What a vicious circle huh?

It sounds like you're getting all the walking and lifting you need at work. Four years before my mother passed away she was in the hospital more than not. You nurses do an incredible job for the work you do. It's not always a happy situation. Maybe the less activity on your days off are an earned bonus.

Comment

• Chris -- Oh those voices in our heads! They sure make us go through some amazing hoops, don't they? But, yes, just start. And remember that you're doing all this for yourself first before any other reason. Maybe if the gym continues to be threatening/no fun, even after a concerted commitment to trying, then you can tell your Should Love the Gym voice to buzz off and give yourself permission to try some other form of exercise. Just because others rock the gym doesn't mean you have to. If there's one thing aging (and going Primal!) has taught me it's that it's okay to choose what pleases ME, not those pesky voices. Good luck tomorrow--I'll get off my keister if you will!

Comment

Working...
                                X