No announcement yet.

gals over 50?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello--this is my very first post on this forum and I am thrilled to find an over-50 group already!!
    I am a 51 year old woman, started on a weight loss quest in Feb. 2011. I have lost 26 lbs. counting calories and upping exercise. I am currently trying to lose that last 5 lbs. and it is not budging. But two other things have become MUCH more important to me than the number on the scale. One is that I have lots of pain and arthritis that hinder workouts, especially weight lifting. I think that inflammation is very influenced by diet, so have started looking into foods that reduce inflammation, which brought me to grass fed meats, which brought me here!! The second factor is body composition--I started this journey at about 42% body fat, which I find pretty amazing to be almost 50% fat!! I currently am at about 34% body fat, and it has been very difficult to reduce this further with just calorie counting. I have always heard that it is macros and strength training that make the difference in body composition, so here I am. I have tried low carb diets in the past with little success. But now I think that I appreciate the lifestyle approach of Primal Blueprint--healthy whole foods that we are genetically programmed to eat and make full use of--so I think I can work with the low carb much better within this framework.
    I am 5'5" tall, 141 lbs. I would love my body fat to get below 30%--doesn't have to be drastic, just healthy!! And I would LOVE it if some of my chronic neck and shoulder pain would go away!!
    I haven't started eating full Primal yet. I am still researching, getting my head around the concepts and changes I will have to make, and identifying good sources for grass-fed beef, etc etc. I am still counting calories (I belong to another forum for calorie counters) but am keeping better track of my macros and have reset mine for 30-30-30 (not ideal for Primal yet, I know, but slowly easing into it). My plan is to go fully into it after the New Year.
    I am here to listen, learn, and hopefully ask semi-intelligent questions--and get to know a group of women my age trying to live this lifestyle, who are willing to share their wisdom and strength--from what I see here, I think I have found a really great place!!!

Comment

• duck fat

First off, so glad to be part of an over 50's group. I'm Terri, I'm gonna be 53 next month, and just finally joining, after lurking for a long time. I read all the posts for this thread, and feel right at home.

On the topic of healthy fats, my latest experiment is duck fat. I roasted my first duck last night, ending up with about a cup of fat. For breakfast today I sautéed the duck liver, gizzard, and heart in a little duck fat, also sautéed a big pile of spinach, and then fried 2 eggs. I'm not going to say it was my best breakfast ever, but it was good.

Let the experiments continue!
      Terri the Harp Player
      www.harpsinger.net

Wherever you go, there you are!

Comment

• That DOES sound good, HarpLady!
        Best--
        Kate

Still Craving Pterodactyl--my Primal Blueprint blog

70 is the new 50--without the hot flashes!

Goals: Feel good, be stronger, and hopefully kick that arthritis in the backside! Oh, yeah, and losing more weight would be okay, too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Greyhoundluv View Post
          Hello--this is my very first post on this forum and I am thrilled to find an over-50 group already!!
          I am a 51 year old woman, started on a weight loss quest in Feb. 2011. I have lost 26 lbs. counting calories and upping exercise. I am currently trying to lose that last 5 lbs. and it is not budging. But two other things have become MUCH more important to me than the number on the scale. One is that I have lots of pain and arthritis that hinder workouts, especially weight lifting. I think that inflammation is very influenced by diet, so have started looking into foods that reduce inflammation, which brought me to grass fed meats, which brought me here!! The second factor is body composition--I started this journey at about 42% body fat, which I find pretty amazing to be almost 50% fat!! I currently am at about 34% body fat, and it has been very difficult to reduce this further with just calorie counting. I have always heard that it is macros and strength training that make the difference in body composition, so here I am. I have tried low carb diets in the past with little success. But now I think that I appreciate the lifestyle approach of Primal Blueprint--healthy whole foods that we are genetically programmed to eat and make full use of--so I think I can work with the low carb much better within this framework.
          I am 5'5" tall, 141 lbs. I would love my body fat to get below 30%--doesn't have to be drastic, just healthy!! And I would LOVE it if some of my chronic neck and shoulder pain would go away!!
          I haven't started eating full Primal yet. I am still researching, getting my head around the concepts and changes I will have to make, and identifying good sources for grass-fed beef, etc etc. I am still counting calories (I belong to another forum for calorie counters) but am keeping better track of my macros and have reset mine for 30-30-30 (not ideal for Primal yet, I know, but slowly easing into it). My plan is to go fully into it after the New Year.
          I am here to listen, learn, and hopefully ask semi-intelligent questions--and get to know a group of women my age trying to live this lifestyle, who are willing to share their wisdom and strength--from what I see here, I think I have found a really great place!!!
          Welcome aboard! I think you'll be very happy here...I'm delighted, and will NEVER go back to counting calories! This rocks...

What are macros in this context?
          Best--
          Kate

Goals: Feel good, be stronger, and hopefully kick that arthritis in the backside! Oh, yeah, and losing more weight would be okay, too.

Comment

• Happy Holidays everyone!!!!! Just remember, if you over indulge a bit this Holiday season don't feel guilty about it. The guilt will cause too much stress. Think of it as an experiment and move on. Just get back to eating clean and you will feel great in a day or two again.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrianag View Post
              WW works but you are obsessed with food, counting and tracking every single bite and you are chained to the treadmill. No way to live and those carbs and grains are still bad for you which is why I switched to primal.
              Amen to that! Primal is SO much easier.
              Best--
              Kate

Comment

• Gotta tell you, I've spent a lot of time in a doctor's office lately, with my husband. He had a couple of iffy moles removed and now doing endovenous ablation (varicose vein laser surgery), and they have an ENDLESS loop of ads for services going in the waiting room. Botox, Restylane, dermabrasion, spots on your hands, wrinkles, GOOD GRIEF. We are SO obsessed with youth...makes me crazy!

I came home and got out my sparkly iridescent eye shadow, which I use below and beside my eyes, to play up those smile lines and weathered wrinkles. I LIKE THEM. It's patina, I earned it, and I am going to by God celebrate it!

Meanwhile, I don't mind a bit losing weight, getting stronger and feeling better! But hon, I'm 69, and that's FINE with me. It's been a great ride, and I plan to enjoy the rest of it!
                Best--
                Kate

Comment

• Originally posted by Kate Ruckman View Post
                  I LIKE THEM. It's patina, I earned it, and I am going to by God celebrate it!
                  LOVE that!
                  Durp.

Comment

• Originally posted by RitaRose View Post
                    LOVE that!
                    I'm too sexy for my wrinkles!
                    Best--
                    Kate

Comment

• Great! I think we inspire one another here, it's a great group.
                      Best--
                      Kate

Comment

• Happy to see over 50's in this group. I'll be turning 53 in January! I've been "lurking" also, wondering if this is the path I should travel in regards to eating. I've always been active and strong, cycling, hiking, swimming, running, anything powered by my body, but the last 5 years have been tough, definitely feeling wear and tear on my joints and just when I get healthy I get injured again. Especially shoulders and hips. A couple I know have been living the primal lifestyle and proclaiming it's benefits, so I'm delving deeper. I tried the vegan,& raw food for awhile, but knew in my heart that I couldn't sustain it, I just love beef too much to give up. However, I have an arsenal full of great vegetable recipes now and figure if I just add in real protein I might see healthy results.

I started this journey of primal living at 161 pounds and
                        CW 159
                        GW 148

I've been doing cross fit training for the last 4 weeks and feel good. Tired but good, I'm looking forward to taking the kids out and doing some sprints with them this week.

Anyway thanks for all the good info in this forum, I'm excited to hear about others and even more excited to get healthy and strong again. Bring on the New Year - I'm ready!
                        Ruby

Comment

• @Greyhoundlove....I have 'bulletproof coffee' in the morning, a cup of organic coffee with 1 tablespoon of coconut oil. Some days, I do not even think of eating for many hours after, with a lot of energy. Last spring, when I began total (almost) primal eating, and ditched grains, my arthritis inflammation disappeared. I have found that yeast also is a problem for me. In the ensuing months I have tried a number of things, all paleo, and find that little things like bullet-prrof coffee are real nice treats that help with energy and weight/ fat loss.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kate Ruckman View Post
                            Gotta tell you, I've spent a lot of time in a doctor's office lately, with my husband. He had a couple of iffy moles removed and now doing endovenous ablation (varicose vein laser surgery), and they have an ENDLESS loop of ads for services going in the waiting room. Botox, Restylane, dermabrasion, spots on your hands, wrinkles, GOOD GRIEF. We are SO obsessed with youth...makes me crazy!

I came home and got out my sparkly iridescent eye shadow, which I use below and beside my eyes, to play up those smile lines and weathered wrinkles. I LIKE THEM. It's patina, I earned it, and I am going to by God celebrate it!

Meanwhile, I don't mind a bit losing weight, getting stronger and feeling better! But hon, I'm 69, and that's FINE with me. It's been a great ride, and I plan to enjoy the rest of it!
                            I SO agree with you Kate. We dye our hair (I've decided to let mine grow out!), we worry about our wrinkles when they should be considered character lines, we want to look '20 years younger' - and WHY? Just to fit an unreal expectation of a society that worships at the altar of the 16 year old bony anorexic!

Mind you, it's taken me all my 58 years to realise this! I am doing primal for myself to lose some weight and become more active and healthy and be pain free. If I look good in the end that's a bonus.
                            Odille
                            F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
                            following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook

Comment

• Originally posted by Analog6 View Post
                              I SO agree with you Kate. We dye our hair (I've decided to let mine grow out!), we worry about our wrinkles when they should be considered character lines, we want to look '20 years younger' - and WHY? Just to fit an unreal expectation of a society that worships at the altar of the 16 year old bony anorexic!

Mind you, it's taken me all my 58 years to realise this! I am doing primal for myself to lose some weight and become more active and healthy and be pain free. If I look good in the end that's a bonus.
                              Yup! Happily I'm too lazy (or busy) to dye my hair, and it's been well on its way to silver since my twenties--it's been there for the past 15 years or so, that would be a LOT of dye jobs. I think you're on the right track...feeling good is GREAT.
                              Best--
                              Kate

Comment

• Hi, I'm going to be 60 this year. I've managed to take off some weight during recovery from hip replacements - I started exploring primal eating and found that I had steadier energy, less joint pain (I have a significant amount) and just in general felt better - BUT I've actually been gaining weight though my clothes still fit. This week I'm tracking the food I eat, trying to get a handle on how many calories I'm consuming because I just don't get it. Anyone else having this experience? Any advice? I could use some insight on this.

Comment

Working...
                                X