No announcement yet.

gals over 50?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi hikingGirl, yes it happened to me too. Thin as a rail all my adult life, I started perimenopause in mid 40s and gained weight all over my body by 50. Went up two pant sizes. I also started working out seriously and playing competitive table tennis during this time, so I gained muscle and toned up as well. But my body totally changed and will never be the same. I joke that I got puberty and menopause at the same time, since I now have boobs and a butt that I never had before! At 51, post menopausal I think, and primal for six months I feel great and look pretty good too. My husband and I both feel like we are going through this life renaissance.
    Positively Radical Pigeonholes are for Pigeons!

Comment

• Ok, I am in my 60th year and try to work out most every week with weights (for squats) or just body weight exercise. I was working on the 100 pushups challenge the last couple of weeks and noticed my abs seem to be the weakest part on me at the moment. That was a shock. They have always been really strong but I stopped doing any ab specific work when I started PB to focus on body wt. stuff. I was under the impression that they would continue to stay fairly strong without focusing on them particularly but I guess I was wrong.

Has anyone else noticed this? I am going to go back to my situps 3 to 4 times a week in the morning (with some planks thrown in) to keep my core strength up.

I have also noticed that my strength goes away a lot quicker than it used to. 2 months ago I had dental surgery so had to take over a month off to let the bone graft take hold. When I went back to exercising it felt like it had been years since the last workout.
      This getting old stuff ain't for sissies I tell ya.

Comment

• Hey there -- I'm new to this thread -- will be 50 in December. Have been Primal since June of 2010 -- sometimes less strict about my diet than others (the 6 months I lived in New Orleans I was maybe 60/40.) I'm back in Seattle now, and closer to 80/20, or even 90/10. I never had to lose a lot of weight -- I lost inches. I have an actual allergy to grain. I had systemic inflammation. Getting off grain was the best thing I've ever done for myself.

I'm perimenopause and on bio-identical HR. My period had dropped down to 1-2 days. After a couple months on PB, my period started coming in much heavier again, and lasted as long as 5 days. I also started getting cramps again. It's all calmed down now, about 8 months later. I'm down to 3 days for a cycle, and the cramps are gone again. No idea what happened -- one last burst of fertility? I did find that I could cut my hormones by about 1/4 after starting PB.

I love PB. Now that my life has settled down again I can think about a more structured exercise regime (as opposed to packing and moving boxes, then moving furniture, then painting, then moving more furniture, then hauling bags of stones/dirt for the garden and gardening, and. . .) I don't feel as though I haven't gotten enough exercise -- I've been leading a very active life. But that's shifting now. Time to get back to the gym. Or park. Or something.
        If I don't live my dream, who will?

Comment

• I was glad to find this thread for women over 50. I am well over at 61, but I am going to see how this goes for me. I am new to Primal and learning here, but tried low carb last spring, lost a few pounds. I want to feel stronger. My arthritis in my hands is so much better without the wheat. Food cravings are getting better without sugar. My goals for this week will be to read about primal (a little something each day), to eat meat, eggs and veggies (mostly) and get some exercise (daily walking, a few lights weights). A big one is to keep the scale in the bathroom cupboard for until next Sunday. That will be good for me.

Comment

• Waterlady - one thing that some of us have found helps with the painful joints is removing nightshade vegetables from our diets - principally potatoes, tomatoes, eggplant, and peppers. If you try a week without any and then introduce them back, you should be able to tell if they are an issue for you.
            Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

Comment

• good advce for my hands

JKC:
              Thanks for the advice. I will consider those veggies. Right now I am eating a lot of tomatoes and peppers, fresh from the garden. But my joints at not painful now. As the weather gets colder, I usually get more aches and pains. The temperature is supposed to drop later this week. Autumn is coming to Ontario and the cold and damp weather.

Comment

• Peri-menopause and menopause are not smooth, step-by-step changes. Rather, the changes are sudden, erratic and intermittent. One day it's this new thing, then that leaves. The next day it's something else. Then later the first thing comes back, etc. Crazy I tell you!
                Positively Radical Pigeonholes are for Pigeons!

Comment

• I am new to the forum, but have been dabbling with Paleo for about 6 months now.

I am 46 and had a hysterectomy at 40 because of serious endometriosis.

Lately I have been putting on weight and no matter how I would eat I can't seem to lose weight.

I am starting the Primal 30 Day Challenge today, I lift weights 3 days a week and do light cardio 3 days a week. It's like my body is fighting against itself.

Anyone experience this problem after going through menopause?

Comment

• I would incorporate Leptin Resistance Reset into your 30 days.

Comment

• DeborahAnn, YES as soon as I hit menopause, I gained weight like crazy no matter what I ate or how much I exercised! It was unbelievably frustrating! I started eating this way because I went to a nutritionist who told me I had a wheat allergy. I gave up wheat, dairy and sugar. That was early November of this year. I've lost 18 pounds so far. It literally comes off in ounces. I don't exercise that much because I work long hours on my job and I'm not willing to get up any earlier than I do. I'm down to 134 now at 5'3" and wouldn't mind losing about 6 more pounds, but I think it's going to take at least another 6 months :-) BTW, I'll be 56 in November and still obsessed with my weight. Adrianag, I'm a newbie - what is Leptin Resistance Reset or where can I find info on it? I find it hard to believe that anyone could be as strict as I am with eating and still lose weight this slowly.

Comment

• Originally posted by KayJay View Post
                        I find it hard to believe that anyone could be as strict as I am with eating and still lose weight this slowly.
                        Lol, we're clearly identical twins! I have a very similar experience with weight loss - it's sooooo slow I can hardly notice it! I'm 48, had a total hysterectomy at 40 for endo - that was an excellent decision. However, I've been pretty consistently paleo since Feb this year, and have lost a grand total of about 20lb. My body hasn't magically shifted composition, either! I'm really lucky, though, that all my biological markers show that I'm basically healthy (cholesterol ratio is a bit high for CW, but not hugely so). I'm just chugging on here in the slow lane, but am definitely feeling better in myself in terms of energy, sleep and mood. Sometimes you just have to take the successes where you find them. I'm planning to feel and look amazing on my 50th birthday in 18 months (maybe I'll have lost another 20lb by then, lol).
                        Started Feb 18 2011

Tried basic primal and almost everything else in pursuit of IBS control, mood stability, and weight loss.

Journalling here

Comment

• My mom has always said that if she got stranded on a desert island with a bunch of people and no food, she would definitely be the last one to starve to death.
                          Karin

A joyful heart is good medicine

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliot

Mmmmm. Real food is good.

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29685.html

Comment

• I could really use some encouragement. Today is day 2 going paleo/primal and I'm dragging. First some background. I am 46 and knee deep into perimenopause. I was doing great until late last year when things started getting nutty. I skipped a couple of periods and then started having them for 3 weeks at a time. I'm having a bunch of symptoms, but I wont list them all. I'm trying to get my hormones balanced with BHRT and I am on month 4 with that. I tried progesterone only for 3 months, but it didn't do a thing. They finally did some blood work and it showed I am also low on estrogen and testosterone as well, so they added that to the mix almost 3 weeks ago. I feel marginally better, but I am still suffering from crashing fatigue, brain fog (big time) and prolonged periods and during the course of all this madness, I have gained about 12 pounds. I have always eaten really healthy and worked out, but since this madness started, I don't even feel like putting one foot in front of the other. I am hoping the BHRT will kick in soon. Might need to readjust as well. It just isn't an exact science, is it? Today, I just feel really low and tired. Yes, it could be the hormones, but I'm wondering if maybe coming off carbs could be contributing as well. I was eating really close to primal before, but I feel I was probably getting a little too much fruit and I cheated during the weekend (all weekend pretty much) and I was a huge coffee addict. During the week, I did great. I decided to not only go paleo/primal, but to limit my carbs to less than 50 per day and to NOT snack under any circumstances. I was always one of those "eat 5 or 6 small meals a day" people. I also gave up coffee, but I am having a couple of cups of hot tea a day instead. I plan to give that up at some point, but just not all at once. Okay, I guess what I want to know is this...... did this way of eating help you get your energy back? Have you had to do any "tweaking" to get the plan to work for you? Do you have any additional suggestions for me? Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Comment

• vatuck, it could very well be " low carb flu".
                              The Low Carb Flu | Mark's Daily Apple
                              http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread22368.html

Other things to consider if symptoms persist:
                              1. Vitamin D level
                              2 Anemia--Ferritin, hemoglobin, hematocrit--
                              3. Thyroid--TSH Free T4, Free T3, thyroid antibodies

Comment

• going primal really helped with my energy levels. But you are only on day 2 - it really takes a little time to get over the carb flu. I am also on bioidentical estrogen and progesterone replacement. I get almost instant relief from symptoms related to low hormone levels(hot flashes and depression) when I have had my dose increased. Other things I have struggled with are adrenal fatigue and the HRT doesn't even touch that. Lots of rest, stopping working out, meditation, and sleep all helped with that.

I would advise that you give the change in diet 3-4 weeks to see where your energy levels will balance out at. It made a huge difference to me. don't forget that all the components of the PB work together to improve health and energy, not just diet.

Welcome aboard here - you're on a journey and it IS going to get better!

Comment

Working...
                                X