No announcement yet.

gals over 50?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks for the book suggestions - looks like I have some good reading to do!

Comment

• Hello. Just want to bump this up. Barb BTW I am in your neighborhood.
      Wisdom begins in the recognition of how little we know.

(teaching of Socrates)

Comment

• Hi, just saying hello as a fellow(?) gal, looking forward to reading the whole thread.

Comment

• Welcome aboard, Tea and Cake! Us "prime-of-life" gals need to stick together!

Comment

• Haven't heard much on this gals over 50 thread.
            Since I have been working on stress reduction via meditation and trying to be more present in my daily activities I started losing a couple of pounds a month. I know that does not sound like much but it is exactly how I gained it so I think this is for the best. I don't count things or worry about food anymore. I just live (first time in my life). I have been eating primally for nearly 18 months now so the food thing is easy. I can't imagine eating any other way at this point.
            I might add that I have been feeling pretty great also.

Any other older gals finding something that has been working for them lately?

Comment

• Hi
              Just the thread I was looking for! I wanted to introduce myself and then will go back and read everything. I am a Lactation Consultant and RN in Mid Missouri. I am 53. I had a hysterectomy when I was 30 so I don't have periods to base my menopause status on. I have had issues in the past with hot flashes but they have lessened.
              I have been doing primal for about a year. I have found I maintain my weight well but haven't been losing well on this plan. But, I do feel healthy. In the last two years I have lost 90 pounds and during that time have done lots of reading and trying things to see what would work best for me. So I plan on posting more in the near future.

Comment

• Just turned 49. Started primal a year ago. 5'3" went from 137 to 133 very slowly. I am finally feel free from diets and body image issues! I don't overeat any more. I don't snack much. I don't have this strange stiffness in the mornings ( bye bye grains). I work out less, so have more fun time. And, I look awesome with my waist going from 33 inches down to 29, even with little weight loss. So do I care what I weigh? Nope, nodda, never again! Is my body perfect? Nope, a small bit of fat at my waist. Does it matter? Nope. Super skinny isn't right for me .

Comment

• I'd like to introduce myself as well, although I'm not quite 50 (I'll be 48 at my next bday). I have been 100% primal for exactly one month (with the exception of a hamburger and milkshake* about a week ago), and feel wonderful. Aside from the aforementioned slip off the wagon, I haven't felt tempted by sugar or grains - and that surprises me tremendously. I don't have much weight to lose and my clothes have never stopped fitting me but I started looking and feeling softer, especially around the middle (despite 4 or 5 months of pilates twice a week, and other moderate exercise). I also felt heavy (not fat -- just heavy, if that makes sense), and found myself losing energy a little, most noticeably in the late afternoon. I wanted to see if changing how I ate changed how I felt, and so far the answer is yes. And I am pretty sure my stomach area is looking better too. However, I just skipped my first period in many, many years and have felt VERY premenstrual for the last week or two. I don't know whether skipping the period was a result of such a dramatic change in my eating habits, is the first baby step into perimenopause, or just a coincidence. But anyway, I'm thrilled to find this group, and this new way of life...

* Re: the burger and milkshake, I was having my first real craving yet (I blame the PMS) and I let myself go with it because I was curious how I would feel afterwards, and whether the slip would make it more difficult to get back on the horse, so to speak. I'm happy to say I felt kind of gross, and I now have the feeling of been there, done that and it has been super-easy to go back to primal eating.

Comment

• I just started a thread on weight training for our age group. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post530889
                    I'd appreciate your suggestions.

Comment

• Originally posted by Adrianag View Post
                      I just started a thread on weight training for our age group. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post530889
                      I'd appreciate your suggestions.
                      I just posted on this on your other thread.
                      Wisdom begins in the recognition of how little we know.

(teaching of Socrates)

Comment

• Hey everyone going through peri menopause or menopause. I just went through a most completely debilitating set of new symptoms for me - extreme anxiety and a constant feeling of GI tract inflammation (not heartburn). I am on estradiol patch for terrible nightime hot flashes, but those were not worsening. My doctor could not see me for a week and I was desperate so I did what so many of us do - I turned to the internet.

I started taking 5-HTP for the anxiety, 100 mg twice a day. Within hours after taking the first dose my anxiety went away and HAS NOT RETURNED. I was on the verge of tears at work all last week. I just finished up 3 fairly stressful shifts as a nurse and I pretty much let the stress roll off my back and kept my mental focus and a stable mood all weekend. My energy level and mood has really taken a turn for the better. No side effects that I have noticed.

The other supplement I started taking was Maca root powder after reading in several places that women found it actually worked as a substitute for HRT during menopause. I did some searches of the medical/scientific data bases I have access to as an RN and there are many studies, mainly on rats at this point, that show it increases LH and progesterone, and has many antioxidant properties. It increases fertility and litter size in rats as well as improves sperm count/longevity. I add 1 tsp to a smoothie in the morning. I am hoping perhaps I can lower my dose of estradiol in the future. I'll keep you posted. But I thought there might be some out there who are avoiding hormones and want to try something natural.

My research on the constant burning sensation in my stomach (felt like I was "on fire", worse after eating, but not up high like in heartburn) indicated that low progesterone levels can cause an increase in inflammation, including the lining of the GI tract. Progesterone suppresses prostaglandin activity, prostaglandins cause irritation, inflammation, and smooth muscle cramps. Progesterone helps prevent the embryo/fetus from being expelled from the womb and prevents an inflammatory reaction to this "foreign body". So I started taking my prometrium pills (a bioidentical progesterone) which I am only supposed to take if no period for 3 months and within a couple of days my stomach was just fine.

Will keep you posted - just wanted to share my good results! I feel like a normal person again!

The internet is a wonderful thing.

Comment

• I'm glad you're feeling better!

I'm 49 and on the verge of starting peri-menopause so there may be a time where your post will be very valuable to me. Thanks!
                          Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
                          http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
                          Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
                          CW: 146.8 lbs
                          GW 140 lbs
                          A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Comment

• Hey Barb~ So glad you are feeling better!

For Progesterone, I prefer Pro-Gest cream. Prometrium has to be processed in the liver and that's why the dosages are higher. A dab of cream morning & night and I am nice & stable. Cheaper and no prescription needed either.
                            Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
                            Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
                            Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

• Ladies: A -wow- success story, with pix, from over at everydaypaleo.com. Be sure and read the comments. Also excellent for the chronic scale watchers to see this as well.

Deb Update | Everyday Paleo
                              "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

• Gaining fat??

All that new muscle looks incredible!! I'm a personal trainer (part time) and have been Primal since Apr. 30, 2011. I pretty much went 80 % right off the bat because I'd been off wheat and corn for years, so giving up the others was not a huge problem. Sugar is definitely my biggest issue. I don't weigh myself too often, but measure myself instead, usually every 8-12 weeks. Within 4 weeks of being Primal, I noticed my waist was much slimmer, no bloating and I had tons of energy. However, I've noticed over the last 3-4 weeks, that I find myself full much quicker. I'm definitely eating less each day, simply because I'm not hungry. Here's my problem; since July 15 ( the last time I measured) I've gained 1 inch in my hips, 1 inch in my bust and 2 inches in my waist and it's definitely all fat! I'm 51 years old, 5' 2" , weigh 112 lbs, and used to have much more muscle. Now, I haven't lifted weights as much over the last few months; during the summer I tend to play outside instead. My body composition is so different than it was just a couple of months ago?? Has this ever happened to anyone else??

Comment

Working...
                                X