Caveman cache

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Caveman cache

I started a thread earlier about a decent cache.

Found this article on the internet.

http://www.lewrockwell.com/cuthbert/cuthbert13.1.html
    Tayatha om bekandze

Bekandze maha bekandze

Randza samu gate soha

At this point I am still carrying a pretty good cache around with me everywhere I go.
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

Comment

Originally posted by IvyBlue View Post
      At this point I am still carrying a pretty good cache around with me everywhere I go.
      LOL, me too unfortunately.

Comment

Thanks for the link. I'm sure most people here are completely unaware of the massive inflation that is about to hit them.

Food inflation in China is currently running at 10% and this is because China is importing our inflation. Just think how bad the inflation will be here when China finally comes to their senses and decides to stop printing Yuan to buy our debts.

I'm watching the commodity markets closely and prices are soaring, especially in the silver markets. [1]

[1] Silver Prices
        Last edited by Grok; 12-02-2010, 03:04 PM. Reason: Add reference link to silver prices

Comment

good idea to start getting into a local, community garden, get to know some good farmers (who have pastures), and get into the cow shares now.

Comment

Probably a good idea to grow a few things of your own no matter what the economy, also, learn what is growing free in the woods and around town. For example, I could gather a lot of persimmons from the court house lawn and about two bushels of pecans from the main street of my town. I'm not greedy though and just take half a bushel and leave some for the other 'gleaners'. Besides I have access to a tree of my own in the lot abutting mine. The owner doesn't want the pecans and hates having to clean up his yard.

Point is, I guess, there is free food in the woods and also in many of the weeds around town and it isn't hard to grow a bit of something yourself. If no ground, try a self watering container from two five gallon buckets, a plastic cup, some tubing and dirt--of course, seeds too.
            Tayatha om bekandze

Bekandze maha bekandze

Randza samu gate soha

Comment

Silver now at $33/oz...

Comment

Originally posted by Grok View Post
                Thanks for the link. I'm sure most people here are completely unaware of the massive inflation that is about to hit them.

Food inflation in China is currently running at 10% and this is because China is importing our inflation. Just think how bad the inflation will be here when China finally comes to their senses and decides to stop printing Yuan to buy our debts.

[1] Silver Prices
                I agree with you times 1,000,000. Everytime I have to buy groceries, I have a tiny anuerism.
                Georgette

Comment

We've been into the food storage thing for about a year now. Most of it is CW grains and such, though. The kids won't starve if things get really bad. We have some type of bars with 2,000 calories for the grown ups. We have quite a bit of stuff that is long-term storage (10 years or more). Now every time we go to the store, we grab a few extra cans of chili, fruit, coconut milk, etc. - whatever is on sale. My 12-year old is into gardening. We're getting him a cold frame this year. He's already started his seeds. We're enlarging his plot as much as we can. (We have a really small yard.) It's nice to know that, whatever happens, we'll be okay.

Comment

We also have a freezer full of grass-fed beef. We really should get some more soon.

Comment

I'm storing some sardines and tuna from Wild Planet. The tuna tins last until 2015 and it's delicious.

skipjack_4..png

Comment

I want to have a garden this year but with the dogs and only realistically looking at being in our home another year, I am not sure if its worth it or not. I really wish I would have gotten my hands on mom's canning equipment when she died. The only thing we have in our favor is that if we need to, we can easily get our hands on a few rifles for hunting.
                        Last edited by geostump; 02-21-2011, 10:35 AM.
                        Georgette

Comment

Originally posted by Grok View Post
                          Silver now at $33/oz...
                          Erm, make that $34/oz...

Comment

Without going into detail, we're looking into this. a primal food store is more expensive, but it's doable. possible inclusions are canned tomatoes, sardines, fruit (in fruit juice), oil, rice and quinoa (not totally primal, but acceptable), garden seeds (kept in the freezer and/or rotated yearly), dried meats, dried fruits and vegetables, dried milk and egg powders... a cheaper method of storing up goods is to join too many CSAs and garden, and can, dehydrate, or freeze (preferably can or dehydrate) whatever you don't eat immediately. it seems sort of silly to be concerned about keeping a PRIMAL food store until you consider that the food needs to be rotated once in a while. so either you risk letting all those cheaper grains and stuff go to waste, or you eat them and buy more.

then there are lots of non-food items that need to be considered. don't forget can openers and salt!! salt is necessary not only for your own consumption on foods, but more importantly for the preservation of foods. if you kill a deer and cannot eat the entire thing right away, you will need a way to preserve the rest of the meat without refrigeration. salt may be a scarce commodity for most of us for quite a while if the SHTF. to that point, building a solar dehydrator is a good idea as well, or at least keeping the instructions and materials on hand so that one can be built.

don't forget to pack a bug-out bag. as pointed out in the article, if war is an issue than your stores are likely to be taken away (either by our gov't as redistribution, or by looters or the invaders). your personal semi-automatic weapon is not likely to be enough stopping force against such forces. so, be sure to keep a few days' of food (don't forget the can opener!), garden seeds, some clothing and warm bedding in your bug-out bag so that you and your family can hit the road if trouble comes. we live in a more densely populated area, so in the midst of any violence we will probably have to leave our major stores (if we have any by that point). if you are in a similar situation, try to think of a storage place away from home that you could use- a family cabin, for example, if possible.
                            Last edited by Saoirse; 02-21-2011, 10:54 AM.
                            my primal journal:
                            http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Saoirse View Post
                              don't forget can openers and salt!! salt is necessary not only for your own consumption on foods, but more importantly for the preservation of foods. if you kill a deer and cannot eat the entire thing right away, you will need a way to preserve the rest of the meat without refrigeration. salt may be a scarce commodity for most of us for quite a while if the SHTF. to that point, building a solar dehydrator is a good idea as well, or at least keeping the instructions and materials on hand so that one can be built.
                              That's a good idea, salt can be as good as money. Like your new pic BTW.

Comment

Working...
                              X