Thoughts on grooming?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on grooming?

So on one of the 'no shampoo' threads on here the discussion wondered towards what people think about body hair on both men and women (although it definitely leaned towards the hair on women end of the spectrum) so I'm curious about peoples point of view. Do you think hair on legs is ok, beautiful or ugly? Armpits? Chests? Backs? Long beards vs. trimmed beards vs. no beards?

And here is my two cents.
    I do shave my legs and armpits but I'm not real fussy about it. I LIKE the way my legs look and feel when they are shaved and in the winter it makes wearing tight long johns WAY more comfy. I shave my armpits because it tones down the amount I stink when I sweat and (I'm somewhat ashamed to admit) because it is more socially acceptable. Private areas? Nope. It's just to darn uncomfortable. It isn't worth it at all. Even just to trim it up.

Now I don't think twice when I see a girl with hair. As for guys? I LIKE hair on arms, back and chest hair not as much, legs are whatever, hairy hands are not particularly aesthetically pleasing. And for all of that blond hair is a more pleasing color of body hair than black for me.

I'm a dude, and hairy chicks do nothing for me. They turn me off. I prefer no hair on all areas except the reproductive one where I don't really mind some. Um and on your head and eyebrows/eyelashes... I don't want bald headed chicks.

For me, I like ... yes, like... doing ... yes doing... my own hair. I like when my hair looks good. From an evolutionary point of view, it makes sense to want to look good for other females, even though I'm already with one, I do it for her. She likes it.
    I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

I'm a mammal. I grow hair. I'll shave it if I feel like it, but if I choose not to do so, that's my right. Any man who can't handle the idea that women come with body hair had better be willing to wax off all his own hair in exchange if the woman he's with requests it.

For similar reasons, I try to keep quiet when my partner doesn't shave his face for a few days. We're stubborn people. He once commented on my unshaven legs, so I went without shaving for over a year. I made the mistake of commenting on the goatee he'd grown that I hated, and something similar happened. These days, we politely leave the subject alone!
      “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

I'm a guy, and I would laser remove all hair if I could, except for head and eyebrows. I so badly want to lose the hair on my legs at least, but I still have to wear shorts to the gym. Don't want to lie and say I'm a swimmer.

Comment

Was this thread inspired by this article? http://www.neatorama.com/2010/11/30/...ble-for-women/

Comment

I shave legs and pits. I'm not overly obsessive about it, though. For men... eh. I don't like back hair, but I don't have a problem with it anywhere else. I DO like hair, however. Smooth men remind me of children, and I don't want to be with a little boy. Some men look great with long hair, and I don't have an issue with this, either.
            Last edited by Katt; 12-01-2010, 01:38 PM.
            Start weight: 250 - 06/2009
            Current weight: 199
            Goal: 145

Comment

For myself, I find shaved pits is just far more comfy. I shave my legs...sometimes. I don't worry too much about it, actually. They're more likely to be smooth in summer.
              I'm not going Brazilian.
              On other women, I don't care if they shave their legs. I actually think "you go, girl" if they don't. Hair in cleavage is a little strange, though...
              On a man, I have no fixed opinion. Hairy, smooth, sweater-chested, we're all mammals. Beard, mutton chops whatever. But I hate long hair on a guy's head. I don't know why. A mullet might make me leave the restaurant on a blind date.

Comment

For me, I'll shave pits and legs. Arms can stay as-is, maybe bleach every so often; I don't want stubble there. Elsewhere welllll, I think a little gardening is nice but torturous methods/schedules should not be required!

For men, if they're naturally fuzzy dudes I don't mind chest hair or even back fuzz at all. That's just the way they are, I don't think they should have to shave/wax/whatnot.

And there are guys who just DON'T have chest hair (or not much) and I'm fine with that too. In another thread I saw women acting like that's a bad thing... but it's not like it's their fault, any more than going bald later, eh? Seemed kinda mean to me. (unless they actually did get deliberately de-fuzzed, as noted.)
                "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Comment

Humans are a pedomorphic species; we retain juvenile characteristics into adulthood. We've applied the same pressures on the animals we've domesticated; if a woman has a layer of fur on her legs, arms, back, chest, etc. no-one here(well, unless we have any furries) would find her particularly attractive.

I can handle if a woman only shaves every couple of days; I think most do, anyways. However, I prefer a woman to be smooth beyond her scalp. On my part, I inhereted particularly hairy characteristics from both sides of my family. I've been called a caveman, wolfman, wolfman's brother... So, I try to keep myself trimmed up. Wax my back/shoulders, trimmed pubes, shaved sack/taint.

Owly, I'm not sure hairy legs and a beard is the same level; it's seem more appropriate to compare hairy legs or pits on a woman to a grossly hairy back. Not the most attractive prospect.

Comment

Wow, that's not obnoxious or anything.

If I shave or don't shave, it's my business. Why is it a requirement for women and not for men, then, if hairy legs and pits are so disgusting? Hair is a normal part of an adult human body. Many women in other parts of the world don't shave--it's not a universal human trait or anything. Even on men, look at the fashion 30 years ago for men to have hairy chests. Now we find that unattractive, but it used to be considered hot not all that long ago. Our desire for hairlessness is more about socialization than anything. Body hair is an indicator of sexual maturity, and in some cultures, ample public hair is sexually desireable because it's a sign a woman is fertile.
                    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

I'm almost completely smooth all over, I hardly ever have to shave my legs or elsewhere. My mother is the same so it's hereditary I guess. I like a bit of hair on my men, it turns me off when they start to shave or wax stuff.

Comment

I'm a pretty hairy guy. My back is the only smooth part. Face, chest, legs and pretty much everywhere else are all a little ridiculous. I used to constantly shit on myself over it and would spend hours researching hair removal techniques and all that, and I admittedly still sometimes do, but for the most part I'm over it. I keep my eyebrows in check as not to look like a complete neanderthal, and there's some occasional manscaping (mostly for comfort reasons), but that's about all I'm willing to do. I usually have a beard going and just opt to keep it trimmed, and my head gets a buzz whenever I feel like it.

I'm not afraid of hair. I'm a little annoyed that something as natural as fricking body hair is seen as so utterly vile by most of society. I can't say I'd really care all that much if a woman didn't want to shave, it's not like they're teeming with hair to begin with. Hair on the arms and privates aren't a problem at all, and while smooth legs and pits are nice, I wouldn't call them necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by Owly View Post

If I shave or don't shave, it's my business. Why is it a requirement for women and not for men, then, if hairy legs and pits are so disgusting? Hair is a normal part of an adult human body. Many women in other parts of the world don't shave--it's not a universal human trait or anything. Even on men, look at the fashion 30 years ago for men to have hairy chests. Now we find that unattractive, but it used to be considered hot not all that long ago. Our desire for hairlessness is more about socialization than anything. Body hair is an indicator of sexual maturity, and in some cultures, ample public hair is sexually desireable because it's a sign a woman is fertile.
                          Well said owly. It is definitely a personal decision and there are some HUGE double standards in North America in terms of what is expected of men and women. I love the approach that you and your husband take! You are both the owners of your own body and shouldn't subscribe to someone else's ideals.

Originally posted by Figlio di Moros View Post
                          Humans are a pedomorphic species; we retain juvenile characteristics into adulthood.
                          Your link does not support your hypothesis. The Wiki page that you provided talks about "juvenile" in terms of animals that undergo metamorphosis, mainly insects and amphibians. (And clicking the link to the definition of juvenile DOES NOT mean that is the definition implied for the pedomorphosis page) Mammals do not undergo a distinct change such as metamorphosis and therefore all have "juvenile" characteristics because the transition to adulthood is relatively continuous (puberty notwithstanding).

Edit: Therefore all mammals are pedomorphic, but that is not a requirement of sexual selection by any means. It merely exsists because of the way we develop.
                          Last edited by lcme; 12-01-2010, 04:21 PM.

Comment

On me, it's not very noticeably whether I do or not: natural blond. I do wax my brows on an approximate schedule of "oh god, I look like my father again," I shave my pits for the smell factor, I shave my legs because I prefer them that way, I trim down "there" on an approximate "hmmm... The clothing's pulling the fur" basis. Everything else stays as is.
                            Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
                            My Latest Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Owly View Post
                              I can be an obnoxious person, but it's a valid point. A hairy back is more comparable to hairy lgs or pits on a woman, than a beard is.

1) Pedomorphism
                              2) Sexual dimorphism

Even in cultures that don't shave, they don't admire furry legs on women. Are these traits more acceptable on men? Yes, because we're supposed to have a different body form; there's still limits.

However, with women, shaving/waxing excentuates the natural interest in less furry women; those w/ vellus hair rather than terminal leg hair are more attractive. How many of those "unshaven" societies have women with thick, dark leg hair? How often are they the "standard of beauty"? Shaving/waxing/electrolysis merely exaggerates what's already more attractive: the pedomorphic female.

Comment

Working...
                              X