Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What changes have you made to make PB "yours"?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What changes have you made to make PB "yours"?

Lots of people have made small and large changes to PB to fit into their WOE. For me, I'm allowing peanuts here and there. I enjoy almond butter, but I still loooove no salt/sugar added peanutbutter. I know the risks/drawbacks, and I'm ok with the occasional indulgence.

What about you? What changes have you made?

P.S.
    I'm hoping for this to flame-free;I don't want this to turn into "WHAT!? You eat 5 bananas a day? You're killing yourself slowly..." etc

bread, doughnuts and slurpees.

haha, jk

I allow for dairy that is not from grass-fed cows, as I LOVE dairy and have no access to grass-fed. That being said, I don't really split things into 80/20. I just say "whatever, I allow that," and eat what I want, even if it's not fully primal. haha

Comment

you know, i don't really know. i haven't sat down and really, deeply, madly, and truly absorbed PB. i have the general idea. And, i follow the 'general idea' of the paleo-primal diet.

i have dark chocolate. i'll have high quality ice cream on occasion. we're still eating green beans on a regular basis. i use cheese as a garnish.

i'm not all that concerned about it.

Comment

Dark chocolate is my weakness too

Comment

Originally posted by zoebird View Post
          you know, i don't really know. i haven't sat down and really, deeply, madly, and truly absorbed PB. i have the general idea. And, i follow the 'general idea' of the paleo-primal diet.

i have dark chocolate. i'll have high quality ice cream on occasion. we're still eating green beans on a regular basis. i use cheese as a garnish.

i'm not all that concerned about it.
          This is my attitude. I don't get all bent out of shape over some green beans, or really good quality ice cream once in a while. Life is TOO short.

My favorite "tweak" is also peanut butter. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...
          The more I see the less I know for sure.
          -John Lennon

Comment

Actually, I'm with most of these others.
            I don't view cheese as part of my 20%. I just eat it. For me, it's Primal.
            When I'm at my favorite Mexican restaurant, I eat the chips. I feel no guilt. Yum! They're corn chips, I'm pretty sure they're gluten free...
            I also indulge in 88% or higher chocolate.

Comment

I think quite a few may agree with zoebird. I do.

I started with PaNu 3 months prior to PB. I would say I'm here only because of the active forum. I seem to get more involved with something if I can share and learn from others be it guns, motorcycles, hunting or eating.
              Started my journey on May 22, 2010:

Beginning weight ~180
              Current weight ~145

Nov. 9, 2009........Nov. 9, 2010.....Jun. 17, 2011
              LDL 155...............LDL 176............LDL 139
              HDL 39................HDL 66..............HDL 95
              TGL 154..............TGL 77..............TGL 49

Comment

Same here; I still eat cheese and drink milk, but I don't see the problem. I replaced bread w/ lettuce, eat fruit, and push more vegetables as sides. Once I started the transition, I figured out the hardest part is stocking up on the healthier alternatives.

Comment

oh, and i eat fruit. like, three or more pieces a day if i feel like it.

but no white potatoes.

Comment

Minimal Dairy and nuts. More fish and not as much meat as others here probably.

And I eat very small portions of white rice, white potatoes, and sometimes (rarely) corn.

I also eat green beans, peas, sugar snap peas, etc...I don't really think these are unprimal anyway.

Oh, and I indulge in dates w/ peanut butter inside and coconut sprinkled on them (like 2 at a time). totally not primal but I LOVE them and I never feel bad about it

Comment

I eat pb, although I go through phases that I don't. I quite enjoy green beans w/ no intention of stopping them. I go through phases w/ potatoes as well. I do not generally eat fruit though as it generally does me better not too, although lately I have indulged in some apples, oranges and berries.
                      Mama to 4, wife to my love

Comment

S-s-s-s-sushi!
                        You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

White rice and potatoes; otherwise, I stay pretty strictly to "approved" foods. Meaning, foods that my fickle tummy approves of.
                          * Pixy's Quest for Regaining Health *
                          Trying to gain weight, clear scarring acne, and fix thyroid and digestive issues with primal lifestyle- here goes something!

Comment

I'm assuming this thread is not meant to include the "my-aunt-would-be-insulted-if-I-don't-have-a-slice-of-her--homemade-pie" cheats on holiday gatherings, etc. As far as I'm concerned, that's part of the 20%.

Non-paleo foods I eat on a regular basis:
                            Nightshades (mainly peppers, I'm definitely addicted to spicy things)
                            Dairy (unsweetened whipped cream with fruit, heavy cream in my chai tea, and plenty of cheese ... milk and cream I always get organic but cheese I often get non-organic)
                            Stevia: technically not a "food," but I do use it in my chai and protein shakes, which I drink probably once or twice a week
                            Coconut flour muffins: damn if they're not convenient as heck when you are running out the door at 7:50 for a class at 8:00
                            Whey/egg protein powder: in my PWO shakes, I usually drink them after about 50% of my lifting workouts.

Non-paleo foods I eat semi-regularly (2-4x per month):
                            Legumes (they're cheap and not too high in carbs)
                            Beer (it's delicious and fun)

Non-paleo foods I eat when climbing/backpacking:
                            Oatmeal, freeze-dried meals with lots of weird shit and processed vegetable oils in them, noodles, Clif Mojo bars, and tortillas
                            Subduction leads to orogeny

My blog that I don't update as often as I should: http://primalclimber.blogspot.com/

Comment

I am new to primal but it's going great for so far. I had no intention of giving up/cutting down on coffee. I also love merlot and dark chocolate which I was thrilled to see were listed under sensible indulgences. I'm amazed to find that I have cut down on all of the above without trying. I think wheat was my gateway drug and now I just don't crave those things like I did, although it is best for me to indulge occasionally than to decide that foods are banned. Like Grumpy Caveman, I will have a sushi indulgence occasionally.

BTW, what the heck is wrong with green beans?
                              True healthcare reform starts in your kitchen, not in Washington. ~Anonymous
                              The worst carrot is better than the best candybar.--TornadoGirl

Comment

Working...
                              X