Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Emerging research shows that bacteria have powers...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emerging research shows that bacteria have powers...

...to engineer the environment, to communicate and to affect human well-being. They may even think.
    http://www.miller-mccune.com/science...ia-r-us-23628/
    These facts by themselves may trigger existential shock: People are partly made of pond scum. But beyond that psychic trauma, a new and astonishing vista unfolds. In a series of recent findings, researchers describe bacteria that communicate in sophisticated ways, take concerted action, influence human physiology, alter human thinking and work together to bioengineer the environment. These findings may foreshadow new medical procedures that encourage bacterial participation in human health.
    just a small factoid, but particularly interesting to those of us who have had to deal with eczema:
    "Most of these live in the digestive tract, but researchers have also discovered unique populations adapted to the inside of the elbow and the back of the knee. "
    I wonder if that's why UV radiation is supposed to help.
    my primal journal:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Fascinating article! To be at the mercy of colonies of bacteria for our mood! Eat well and keep your bacteria happy to be happy - amazing!

Comment

I welcome our microscopic overlords.
      I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

They even allow Darth Vader to choke a guy from across the room. A skill I could use.
        My blog: My Primal Adventure

"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubble gum."

Comment

oh eww...
          Some researchers are even exploring the idea of stool transplants — that is, introducing a healthy person’s gut bacteria into a sick person’s intestines via the donor’s feces.
          The archaean partner makes fermentation of indigestible polysaccharides (which are complex carbohydrates) more efficient, and the extra fermentation products are converted to fat by the intestines. It appears that obese people’s gut microbes are just too good at their jobs.
          i have a gut feeling (haha!) that our diets change our inner landscapes. i think it's likely that a person's dietary choices impact the microbial balances, which impacts the foods they crave AND their metabolism (as well as their ability to fully digest various foods and assimilate nutrients), which helps to perpetuate the poor food choices; sort of like a catch-22.
          Even more intriguingly, there have long been hints that some bacteria, including Bifidobacteria commonly found in yogurt, can improve mood.
          I cannot stand the taste of plain kefir, but i have noticed this effect after drinking it. maybe i should revive the kefir grains in my fridge.

and for those of us who like to dig in the dirt...
          A common soil microbe, Mycobacterium vaccae, has recently been found to cheer up lab mice in experiments by Christopher Lowry, an integrative physiology professor at the University of Colorado at Boulder. Lowry and colleagues showed that infection with M. vaccae “alters stress-related emotional behavior” in mice by activating neurons producing serotonin, the neurotransmitter affected by Prozac.
          of course, more serotonin isn't necessarily good. watching television, for example, increases serotonin (though i don't remember if it increases reuptake or synthesis).

When Parke analyzed 4.7 million-year-old organic sediment in the Mediterranean, he estimated the average time it took for resident microbes to reproduce by cell division at 120,000 years.
          some bacteria, such as Myxococcus xanthus, practice predation in packs, swarming as a group over prey microbes such as E. coli and dissolving their cell walls.
          Last edited by Saoirse; 12-01-2010, 10:37 PM.
          my primal journal:

Comment

Hurrah for science, woo.
            You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
              Hurrah for science, woo.
              really? is that sarcasm? you don't find this the least bit interesting?

oo loook! a microbe wiki!
              http://microbewiki.kenyon.edu/index.php/Taxonomy_Index
              my primal journal:

Comment

Nah, it wasn't sarcastic. It's good that scientists are re-learning that there's intelligence everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
                  Nah, it wasn't sarcastic. It's good that scientists are re-learning that there's intelligence everywhere.
                  i don't know if it's actual intelligence, but wouldn't that be kind of cool? instead of using my body to support just one other sentient being, i'm a host of BILLIONS! it takes the idea of reincarnation to an entirely different level. in that case, i'll skip on the formadehyde and decompose au naturale. hmm...i have a feeling that decaf coffee wasn't so decaffeinated.
                  my primal journal:

Comment

Looks like a great article but only skimmed over it. This one part caught my eye however:

And if you approach the human body as an ecosystem, some researchers are finding, it may be possible to tune that system and prevent many diseases — from acute infections to chronic debilitating conditions — and even to foster mental health, through bacteria.
                    If in fact this is true (and I have thought it was), then what does that say about the effect of the overuse of antibiotics in our country? I wonder if you could draw a curve of the rise of a lot of diseases in the US and if it would match the curve of the increased use of antibiotics?

Thanks for posting the article, I'll print it out and read it tonight.
                    Randal
                    AKA: Texas Grok

Originally posted by texas.grok
                    Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
                    http://hardcoremind.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Saoirse View Post
                      i don't know if it's actual intelligence, but wouldn't that be kind of cool? instead of using my body to support just one other sentient being, i'm a host of BILLIONS! it takes the idea of reincarnation to an entirely different level. in that case, i'll skip on the formadehyde and decompose au naturale. hmm...i have a feeling that decaf coffee wasn't so decaffeinated.
                      What do you mean by "actual intelligence?" I love this kind of talk. You can PM me.

Comment

Originally posted by texas.grok View Post
                        Looks like a great article but only skimmed over it. This one part caught my eye however:

If in fact this is true (and I have thought it was), then what does that say about the effect of the overuse of antibiotics in our country? I wonder if you could draw a curve of the rise of a lot of diseases in the US and if it would match the curve of the increased use of antibiotics?

You can pretty much blame alot of autoimmune diseases and chronic illnesses on the abuse of antibiotics. Anything that harms the bodies natural flora should be avoided unless it can be restored, garaunteed

Comment

Originally posted by texas.grok View Post

it's a miniature genocide!! you commit murder every time you wash your hands or eat garlic.
                          might be interesting to graph those curves. however, correlation does not prove causation.
                          my primal journal:

Comment

human body has ten times more bacteria than human cells

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0603085914.htm

read down into article---just bacteria in gastrointestinal tract outnumbers the human cells in our body.

http://answers.google.com/answers/th...id/208733.html

They outnumber us but they are small, so bacteria mass is less than human mass.

http://litcandle.blogspot.com/2007/0...an-are-we.html
                            Tayatha om bekandze

Bekandze maha bekandze

Randza samu gate soha

Comment

About the rise of disease since the use of antibiotics. Yes. They have been beneficial but overused. We did well with garlic, quinine, and other natural products before the rise of antibiotics back in the 1940's. Most people don't know that it was a toss up whether to continue with garlic or take on penicillin. Of course, anyone can grow garlic. Only pharmaceutical concerns manufacture penicillin. Only physicians can allow its use.

Over use of antibiotics led to infestations of various fungi, which once established in the body, mimicked disease- even created disease. Diseases such as arthritis, diabetes, asthma, hypertension, bad vision and more, even cancer can often be shown to be of fungal origin.
                              Tayatha om bekandze

Bekandze maha bekandze

Randza samu gate soha

Comment

Working...
                              X