Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IF'ing and breastfeeding

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • IF'ing and breastfeeding

    I know i've asked a similar question before, but i'm just a little nervous about this. has anyone tried to fast for a day or two while breastfeeding? i'm really not as worried about my milk supply- if that seems to dip I know how to get it back up. but i'm a little more worried about mood stability. any experience?
    my primal journal:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

  • #2
    i don't really see why one would do it specifically, and in nearly every culture that has fasts for various reasons assert that pregnant and breastfeeding women are exempt, so that would be a long tradition of forgoing it.

    and, if it were my child's only source of food at the time, i'd be particularly cautious not to do it.

    but, i also feel that if the child eats food as well as breastmilk, and if you're not particularly hungry on a given day (such that you would have only one meal, or two, or none), then that wouldn't be a big problem either.

    main thing, imo, is just to go with how you feel. it's not absolutely necessary to IF; i think that if you naturally do it (eg, skip a meal, skip a day of meals) because you are not hungry, that's easy enough, and otherwise, it's good to just keep yourself good and steady for yourself and your kids.

    i don't know if that's coming out right. ultimately, your decision, but i personally don't do it in a concerted way (even though i have days where i don't eat, or i only eat one or two meals based on how i feel).

    Comment


    • #3
      Eat as if you were still pregnant.
      Every Day is a New Adventure

      Comment


      • #4
        most days, i usually end up skipping breakfast. i don't know exactly why i want to fast, there's just something purifying about it. though i don't know if i'd have that same feeling through a fast while breastfeeding. maybe i'd just end up getting really hungry and be more tempted to cheat. i might actually just occasionally have a 0 carb day instead, who knows.
        my primal journal:
        http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

        Comment


        • #5
          I think as long as you focus on quality rather than timing and quantity you will be fine. Some days my wife was starving ALL DAY, and some days she was content on coffee. Most days she stayed hungry. When I was home we ate well, and stayed mostly primal with the occasional zombie pizza nights, or force-ourselves-to-get-out-of-the-house night. Everything we knew about planning was shot out of the sky. It goes on baby's schedule at that point.
          Every Day is a New Adventure

          Comment


          • #6
            aaaaaaaand, I just figured out this isn't your first little one, so I will just stop posting about mommy stuff.
            Every Day is a New Adventure

            Comment


            • #7
              i've never had children so take this with a grain of salt. if you don't feel like eating for a meal or so, don't. if your milk dips or your mood goes south just eat but otherwise i don't see why it would be a problem
              beautiful
              yeah you are

              Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
              lol

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by New Renaissance View Post
                aaaaaaaand, I just figured out this isn't your first little one, so I will just stop posting about mommy stuff.
                lol, no i've been nursing for almost 7 years straight.

                i should probably just concentrate on keeping protein intake adequate. i usually don't have any issues with fat intake.
                my primal journal:
                http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Saoirse View Post
                  I know i've asked a similar question before, but i'm just a little nervous about this. has anyone tried to fast for a day or two while breastfeeding? i'm really not as worried about my milk supply- if that seems to dip I know how to get it back up. but i'm a little more worried about mood stability. any experience?
                  I've done it and chances are that it's happened, oh, more than a few times in that 'environment of evolutionary adaptation'. Avoiding food for a day or so isn't likely to be an issue but avoiding food and fluids (which you wouldn't be doing) is likely to be problematic.

                  Katherine



                  iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Unless you really have to IF, I personnally wouldn't do it while breastfeeding. Yes you will be fine, and your milk supply too. But body will draw from your reserves to keep milk up to scratch from a nutriant point of view. As was stated previously, pregnant and breastfeeding women were except from fasting in many tribal cultures.. and probably for good reason.

                    But I suppose it also depends if baby is totally reliant on you or is on solids too..

                    (Just finished breastfeeding myself about 3 weeks ago.)

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      ===
                      Last edited by Ms. Fai; 10-08-2011, 03:28 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I have done some small fasts while nursing, exclusively, at that. I never abstained from liquids though. When I mean small around 16-18 hrs or so. I would only do this when I felt like it, some days I just wouldn't have a desire to eat until lunch and felt fine, so I went with it. Other days I would seem ravenous, so I would eat frequently. I was/am pretty strict primally, tending more to paleo and really felt not as much hunger. My babe(now 12 months) eats more solids but I find myself more snacky in the last few months and have dropped 5 additional pounds(without trying- I have been at my pre-pregnancy weight for several months). I think it has been a hormonal change of sorts as it seems that previously my fertility has returned a bit after 1 yr and at that time my weight goes down without effort, while nursing I generally work pretty hard to get weight off.
                        Mama to 4, wife to my love

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Your production might decrease, but the nutritional content of your milk should be fine.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by soror View Post
                            I have done some small fasts while nursing, exclusively, at that. I never abstained from liquids though. When I mean small around 16-18 hrs or so. I would only do this when I felt like it, some days I just wouldn't have a desire to eat until lunch and felt fine, so I went with it. Other days I would seem ravenous, so I would eat frequently. I was/am pretty strict primally, tending more to paleo and really felt not as much hunger. My babe(now 12 months) eats more solids but I find myself more snacky in the last few months and have dropped 5 additional pounds(without trying- I have been at my pre-pregnancy weight for several months). I think it has been a hormonal change of sorts as it seems that previously my fertility has returned a bit after 1 yr and at that time my weight goes down without effort, while nursing I generally work pretty hard to get weight off.
                            i generally return to fertility late. after my first baby, it was 2 years, 20 months after the second. this one is 6months old. i just started to lose weight again after my fertility returned after the first one, when i conceived the second and started gaining weight again. same thing happened after the second baby (i just started to lose weight when i became pregnant, then i dropped an additional 10 lbs in the first month or two of pregnancy).
                            my primal journal:
                            http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I wish my fertility was delayed longer! I guess I should be thankful for the 1yr+ I have got. I do make sure not to do anything to interfere w/ lactational amenorrhoea- no bottles, pacifiers, schedules, we co-sleep etc. It is odd to me that some people just experience a melting of pounds nursing but for others it is harder. I lose my weight fairly soon after having babies but it is only by working my butt off.
                              Mama to 4, wife to my love

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X