Women... weight gain?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Women... weight gain?

What have been women's experience on PB? I'm definitely gaining weight- and it's not muscle since it is around my mid section. And up until good old turkey day, I have not eaten any grains or processed sugar... some dried fruit after a work out; but still not much. For those of you who are losing weight and doing well - could u offer advice or what has been working for you??

Thanks ladies!!

It's hard to say much based on a limited description--can you share a bit more about your eating and exercise? What's an average day's food intake look like?
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

Yeah it is hard to say without some sample days of food and workouts.

I can tell you I have lost around 20lbs in 2 months so far and I have slowed down to almost no working out, just waliking most days. I eat 2 meals a day but they are about 800-1000 calories a meal with percents being around 60% fat/ 20% protein/20% carb. I follow primal pretty tight. The past few days I have been having a hard time with morning sickness, so not sure what I can do about that, my old standby in previous pregnancies were saltines.
      ~*Lori*~
      my Primal journal : http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...-momofredheads
      my food blog http://iamhungrywhatsfordinner.blogspot.com/

SW 231 as of 1/1/2012
      CW 192

Comment

board search:
        stall
        plateau

Count cals for awhile. Most who gain weight realize they were (inadvertently) eating insane amounts of cals.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

i agree with the others. i would look at caloric intake and exercise.

i'm not exercising as much as i would like (busy week), but doing well.

Comment

I graze a lot throughout the day, so I could be upping my caloric intake too much.

Today it's been 2 eggs, 2 whites, 1/4 cup of peas, 1 tbsp. cream cheese, all cooked in butter, annd 5 almonds Coffee!
            WO: Lifting at gym
            Lunch: Sliced Brisket with vinegar, collard greens, coleslaw, mixed greens salad with vinegar
            S: 7 almonds, some cashews, couple of slices of cucumber
            Dinner might be: red meat and veggies
            Snack: Berries and yogurt with stevia; little bit of protein powder

Before lifting workouts I'll eat half of a protein bar or protein powder in milk or water...depends.

I'll graze and pick at leftover steak in fridge, slice of cheese, an organic turkey stick or 2...

I also do p90x, elliptical, and pump iron classes at gym. Since primal (8 days), I've only mountain biked once in the beginning.

Comment

Ok, on this board when women are struggling with PB it's because of:

DAIRY
              NUTS/NUT BUTTERS
              ALCOHOL/CHOCOLATE/STEVIA/DRIED FRUIT/BAKED GOODS etc.

Cut it down to the basics. Butter and a splash of heavy cream in coffee if you must, no other dairy. No snacking on nuts. Snack on some meat, jerky, or a hardboiled egg or veggies instead.

This seems to help in almost every case.
              The more I see the less I know for sure.
              -John Lennon

Comment

Do any of the men struggle with gain, when wanting to lose or maintain? I always see these questions aimed specifically at women.

Comment

Originally posted by lil_earthmomma View Post

DAIRY
                  NUTS/NUT BUTTERS

Cut it down to the basics. Butter and a splash of heavy cream in coffee if you must, no other dairy. No snacking on nuts. Snack on some meat, jerky, or a hardboiled egg or veggies instead.

Snacking on eggs would frustrate me if I've already had eggs for breakfast (as I do most days). Stop with the snacking, peoples! Just eat 1-3 big meals a day. You're not PB if you can't go 3 hours without eating something.

Comment

Originally posted by unchatenfrance View Post
                    Snacking on eggs would frustrate me if I've already had eggs for breakfast (as I do most days). Stop with the snacking, peoples! Just eat 1-3 big meals a day. You're not PB if you can't go 3 hours without eating something.
                    LOL I totally agree, but some people resist the no snacking at first. I remember it took my body awhile (4 weeks maybe?) to adjust, while I was getting used to consuming enough fat and protein to stay satiated.
                    The more I see the less I know for sure.
                    -John Lennon

Comment

i have found that, since going PB, snacking has stopped altogether.

and, i didn't want to talk about the daily diet bit, becuase it just looks way off the mark, IMO. but that's just me.

1. eat 4 whole eggs. the yolk increases protein conversion/absorption of the whites, brings in more nutrition and more healthy calories.

2. cut beans. i understand these to be "not primal" or part of the 20, but if i'm spending my 20, it ain't on peas.

3. cut dairy. easiest path all around.

4. eat real foods. protein bars and powders are nasty. i know a lot of people supplement, but it's freakin' weird IMO. eat food. my husband does lift weights (when not injured and overworked) and lifts very heavy. he also has a ridiculously high metabolism. in 2000, he used protein powders. since 2002 he has not used protein powders and he is stronger, leaner, and more satisfied than before. spend that money on food.

5. stop snacking. eat enough at a meal to feel satisfied for many hours. i eat 2-3 times a day on PB, with the occasional piece of fruit or handful of nuts in between (typically, breakfast of eggs in butter, veggies with oil, plus fermented cod liver oil or flax oil; apple or orange plus hand full of soaked almonds or tablespoon of soaked pepitas; lunch if i'm having it veggies and left over meat from dinner before; dinner is meat and vegetables; i'll occasionally have a piece of super-dark chocolate too). but, otherwise, i don't really snack and find i don't really need to.

6. get more rest. you could be working out too much (for your body), and make sure you get high quality sleep.

that's just off the top of my head.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the advice!
                        Sometimes old habits die hard.. It's all a new process.

And as for the peas- I love them.

Comment

Originally posted by lil_earthmomma View Post

DAIRY
                          NUTS/NUT BUTTERS

I'd be willing to bet that those three things are the "cause" of women's difficulty with weight loss partially becuase they are easier to over consumme.

I've lost weight eating dairy and nuts and drinking the occasional shot of alcohol....Sure everyone is different, but calorie consumption does matter to some degree.

Comment

I found that coconut water worked really well for my mtn bike ride today! Its now my new favorite!!

Comment

i love coconut water. it's great stuff!

while it is easy to overindulge in those things, it might also be noted that women do metabolize alcohol differently from men. i'll look for the article.

Comment

Working...
                              X