No announcement yet.

women and weight gain

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would highly recommend eating a maximum of three times a day. Every time you eat, insulin is secreted, even with very low carb levels. Insulin drives fat storage stimulates appetite. On days when i am busy and active, I eat three meals. On days when i am less so, I only eat two meals. NO SNACKS. Eat lots of healthy fats - full fat meats, sausage, butter on all vegetables, fatty burgers, avocados, all the fat off your steaks and chops, lots of eggs fried in some delicious fat. If you are going to eat dairy, eat full fat only. If you eat enough fat with your proteins and a few carbs, your appetite will be satisfied for hours and hours.

In the book "Mastering Leptin" they advise going at least 5-6 hours between meals and a minimum of 12 hours fast between dinner and breakfast. No after dinner snacking at all. This will help tame insulin and allow Leptin to work to keep your appetite at bay. In order to eat that way without terrible cravings and feelings of deprivation, you need to keep your carbs low and your healthy fats high.

Comment

I've also found that that's the best way for me to eat - 2-3 meals/day, no snacks, 12hrs before break"fast"... for me, though, it's more of a result of raising the fat & protein and lowering the carbs. W/o the carbs, I don't think about food between meals. W/ them, I can't stop thinking about food. There came a point when I made a conscious decision to remove that last snack, though (which I still sometimes have, out of habit) - at that point, yes, I think it's a good conscious decision to make, and IF can be, too. The rest falls in line naturally for many people as they make the other dietary changes.
      5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
      Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
      Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
      Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
      ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

MamaGrok & Barb--great stuff!

In the book "Mastering Leptin" they advise going at least 5-6 hours between meals and a minimum of 12 hours fast between dinner and breakfast. No after dinner snacking at all. This will help tame insulin and allow Leptin to work to keep your appetite at bay. In order to eat that way without terrible cravings and feelings of deprivation, you need to keep your carbs low and your healthy fats high.
        This is exactly what I do--haven't read the book, though!

If I didn't eat dairy or chocolate, I probably wouldn't even track calories while I am losing. Those are my only two foods that I can tend to overeat. Everything else is self-limiting. I find I feel less-deprived this way, so it is more sustainable for me.
        Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
        Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
        Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonfly View Post
          MamaGrok & Barb--great stuff!

This is exactly what I do--haven't read the book, though!

If I didn't eat dairy or chocolate, I probably wouldn't even track calories while I am losing. Those are my only two foods that I can tend to overeat. Everything else is self-limiting. I find I feel less-deprived this way, so it is more sustainable for me.
          I agree. Once you go to meat, fish and veggies and good fats... it really does self-limit. Most meals I make keep me satisifed for AT LEAST 5 hours, sometimes more. And the change came naturally... I started making the "right for me" meals with enough fats and good protein and veggies and found that I wasn't hungry for a while, so I slowly eliminated snacks because I didn't need them. What it's developed into is two meals a day, usually one between 10-12 and one somewhere around 5-6 depending on if I have school. I'm really learning to listen to my body as well. If I'm hungry earlier like at 8:30 or 9... I eat then. Usually there's a good reason for it (worked out more the day before, PMS, whatever), but I'm not purposely depriving my body of what it's asking for. It's interesting after years of eating because it was time, or other people were, or boredom.
          sigpic "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Comment

Originally posted by Barb View Post
            I would highly recommend eating a maximum of three times a day. Every time you eat, insulin is secreted, even with very low carb levels. Insulin drives fat storage stimulates appetite. On days when i am busy and active, I eat three meals. On days when i am less so, I only eat two meals. NO SNACKS. Eat lots of healthy fats - full fat meats, sausage, butter on all vegetables, fatty burgers, avocados, all the fat off your steaks and chops, lots of eggs fried in some delicious fat. If you are going to eat dairy, eat full fat only. If you eat enough fat with your proteins and a few carbs, your appetite will be satisfied for hours and hours.

This has become a very big interest of mine lately since I have PCOS and have been reading how that it effects leptin. There was actually a study on rats showing that metformin helps increase leptin sensitivity. (metformin in a type 2 diabetic drug commonly prescribed for women with pcos) I think it may be helpful to include Mastering Leptin's 5 rules about eating. very interesting indeed
            Favorite Mark Quote: "I train to play."

June 2010: 168.6 -size 16
            Current: 155 - size 10/12
            Goal:135 - size 8

My Journal

Comment

I just joined about 2 weeks ago and am surprised at how much I can eat without gaining weight. I really need to lose weight though so I will start watching my calories in a couple of weeks and try the IF. I am on metformin, and since going Primal my blood sugars have dropped significantly (like 50 to 80 points). This is great. I won't need insulin and if I manage to loose weight I may get off some of my meds. That would be fantastic. I have already cut down how much I am eating. I just got full in the middle of dinner and had half my food left on my plate. I have forgotten to eat lunch a couple of times. That is a first for me. When I feel hungry with carb cravings I eat a tbsp of almond butter. YUM. Then I forget about food for hours. I love this primal life.

Comment

Hi everyone! I am just checking around on the forums and found this thread. I hope it is okay that I join in.

I've been trying to follow Paleo for about 8 months now. I originally lost 65 lbs on Weight watchers with a low fat, high carb, highish protein diet. I got down to 145 and hovered between 145-150 for several months. Started trying Atkins, then went Paleo. My problem is my head/thinking. I do well as long as I stay away from the sugar, but occasional indulgences such as an anniversary dessert sets me off. I'm now up to around 158 and have been letting stress really get to me enough that I've had sugar binges every couple of days the past few weeks and can't seem to shake the sugar/stress situation. I was taking metformin for my insulin resistance up until about 6 months ago when my dr and I agreed to taper me off of it.

I'm really needing some guidance as to if when I'm eating correctly, AM I doing it correctly. I'm also really needing some support and accountability. It seems I haven't been so good at being accountable to myself. I'll tell myself "I'll start back tomorrow" and start out strong, then give in, feel bad and fat; it has been a vicious cycle as of late. I decided to try Primal because of the milk. I really, really miss my latte (decaf since I cut out caffeine and have been drinking nothing but herbal teas and water until yesterday). I have decided that it may help keep me more honest if I know I can have a latte for the warm, soothing factor it gives me. The stress I'm going through won't be ending until the end of April, so I've just got to HOLD ON.

I also had a question for all of you re: how much to eat. I tried eating 3 meals/day. But in order for me to make it from breakfast at 8-8:30 until lunch at 1-1:30, I have to eat about 3 eggs with coconut oil and 5-6 pieces of bacon along with my herbal tea. I feel like I'm eating SO much when I eat that. I'm not so good at getting in veggies at breakfast so I really try to load up on them at lunch and dinner.

Any ideas for me? I'd like to become an active member here with your ladies.

Thanks,
                Penny

Comment

Note to self to respond later when not on cursed Droid.
                  5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
                  Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
                  Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
                  Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
                  ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

Welcome Penny Personally I don't think your eggs, bacon, tea and coconut oil sound like too much for a meal. But then again I am accustomed to eating just two meals a day most days. I do get a little hungry in the morning but I usually just have some coffee and wait until 1 to have lunch. Dinner is at about 7. I prefer only having to deal with two meals a day and it allows me a longer time between my last meal of the day "breakfast" (my lunch) - which is my intermittent fasting window. I feel like it has helped me so far. I don't have a lot of weight to lose myself but I like intermittent fasting as a tool - just to throw out my 2 cents

Comment

Thanks, Sarah. I played around with the IF the past two weeks, but my stress levels have been through the roof, hence not adhering to the program like I would like to. Today is Day 4 of no sugar, so I'm hopeful.

What do you eat for your meals? I've heard/read of many doing only 2 meals/day and even one LARGE meal per day. Yesterday I ended up with only two meals and it was fine. I did find myself a bit hungry later on before bed. Not that that is a bad thing but I went through such a time when I was on Weight Watchers of ALWAYS feeling hungry or always putting off the hunger and I don't know that that did me any good mentally or physically. Today is one of the days that it would be easy for me to skip my evening meal, so I may do just that and see how it goes.

Comment

Pens....

I don't know about anyone else, but for ME I have to stay away from sugar completely. If I indulge, just a little, I get cravings like no tomorrow. Truly it's like an addiction for me, so I just DON'T indulge. That may change... I'm not sure... and I do use stevia in small amounts to make for example a chai latte, or something like that... but the longer I'm not eating sugar the more it has no effect on me to be around it.

So... I said earlier I'd moved to eating more like two meals a day... so here's an example of my brunch and dinner yesterday.

Brunch: 3/4 - 1 cup yam hash (cubed yams and beets sauteed in coconut oil with onion), 4 ounces flank steak, 2 eggs scrambled

Dinner: 3/4 cup yam hash, 1 buffalo burger (homemade, with onions, cumin, red pepper, garlic) with two fried eggs over easy (in coconut oil).

I ate brunch around 10ish or 10:30 a.m. and dinner around 6:00 pm. I was a little hungry by dinnertime, but nothing serious. And that's another point... the longer I eat primal and the more I DON'T eat grains/sugars... the less being hungry adversely affects me. What I mean is... now when I get hungry, I just "feel" hungry and my tummy might growl a bit. I don't get tired, fatigued, dizzy, grumpy, or any of the other crappy things I used to feel when hungry. So if I need to wait an hour or two while hungry, I can do that where I couldn't before. I think this just takes time for your blood sugar to regulate. But being completely away from the sugars/grains for a bit is important (in my humble opinion).

I also wouldn't IF at first. Again, it takes time to get the right nutrients, to get your body adapted to burning fat, etc. etc. I don't think I IFed for about 9 or 10 months after changing to Primal, and that came accidentally. I would eat at 5 and not be hungry for breakfast until 10... but that was gradual and evolved once i was eating good balanced foods, enough good fats enough protein and no carbs/sugars.

Give yourself the time for the adjustment. You can always tweak later, but just getting off of sugars is huge, so don't try to do too much at once!!
                        sigpic "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Comment

I have been on this for two weeks and have gained a pound- worried this is going in the wrong direction!

Comment

Working...
                          X