Measuring hips?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Measuring hips?

I 'm trying to measure my waist-to-hip ratio, but I've been finding conflicting info on where exactly to measure the hips. Silly question, but do you measure around the level of the hip bones and above the bum cheeks/crack, or do you wrap the tape measurer around the widest point even if that goes around the bum?

I've tried both ways and come up with two very different ratios. Which one is right?

Thanks in advance!
    * Pixy's Quest for Regaining Health *
    Trying to gain weight, clear scarring acne, and fix thyroid and digestive issues with primal lifestyle- here goes something!

at the level of your bum and hip socket joints (ie where the head of the femur inserts into your pelvis)

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

Good to know
      I think I've actually been measuring well below that, so my measurements may not be accurate.
      Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
      My Latest Journal

Comment

Originally posted by naiadknight View Post
        Good to know
        I think I've actually been measuring well below that, so my measurements may not be accurate.
        you can't go below that though and still be measuring hip. After that it's just leg. I'll show ya' on Friday

Comment

The pictures show the correct placement of a tape meausre to obtain the actual hip measurement....even in cases where the biiliac width is great or greater than the actual 'hip' measurement.

images-1..jpg

images..jpg
          Last edited by cillakat; 11-23-2010, 07:08 PM.

Comment

oh good to know.
            my primal journal:
            http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Primal-Journal

Comment

Awesome, thanks! I'll re-measure whenever those pictures decide to show up.
              Trying to gain weight, clear scarring acne, and fix thyroid and digestive issues with primal lifestyle- here goes something!

Comment

I've always heard that your hip measurement should be taken at your widest point. Make sure you keep the tape measure level.

I think those of us with generous ass might have to measure a bit lower than where cillakat suggests if we want to measure the largest part of your 'hips'. My widest point is about 4" lower than where my legs go into my pelvis - right across my mons pubis and tops of my thighs in front, but that's where most of my butt is in the back, and that's 2" bigger around than up above. If I tried to use the measurement from higher on my pelvis to judge my pants size, I wouldn't even be able to get them on. My lower-butt area has far more fat than any other place on my body, so it's a reliable predictor of weight changes as well.

For fun: I am 30" around iliac crest, 33" where cillakat says to measure, 35" at my widest point around the bottom of the bum, and 31" around my thighs where they start in the back (which is not where they start in front, lol).
                Last edited by animalcule; 11-24-2010, 09:08 PM.

Comment

Look at the pics I posted....you are correct in your description. We are saying the same thing.

Comment

I tried, but they still say they are pending approval.

ETA: Is this pic what we are both getting at, cilla?

http://z.about.com/f/p/440/graphics/images/en/10350.jpg
                    Last edited by animalcule; 11-24-2010, 09:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by animalcule View Post

Yes!

Still pending approval? omfg. Seriously. How annoying. lol

Comment

Really? I'd have called that a thigh measurment! That low? I'm measuring far too high apparently.
                        Start weight: 250 - 06/2009
                        Current weight: 199
                        Goal: 145

Comment

Originally posted by animalcule View Post

Huh, wow. Measuring there, I went from 32" to 34.5"! That just doesn't seem like hips to me; always thought the hips were along where the bones point out in the front. Interesting!

Cillakat's pics are still pending approval? Geez.

Comment

Originally posted by QuirkyPixy View Post
                            Huh, wow. Measuring there, I went from 32" to 34.5"! That just doesn't seem like hips to me; always thought the hips were along where the bones point out in the front. Interesting!

Cillakat's pics are still pending approval? Geez.
                            Nice how the HTW ratio improves even without diet and exercise changes, isn't it? lol

Comment

Originally posted by cillakat View Post
                              Nice how the HTW ratio improves even without diet and exercise changes, isn't it? lol
                              Haha, it's almost magical!

Though the diet and exercise certainly have helped improve mine; I'm happy to have some hips and a bum for the first time in my life.

Comment

Working...
                              X