Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How bad are those pre-cooked chickens at the store?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How bad are those pre-cooked chickens at the store?

I recently broke my collarbone. Since I live alone, this has greatly limited my ability to cook (and wash dishes, etc.). I've been buying these pre-cooked chickens but they never list any ingredients. They are usually flavored with bbq or 'lemon-pepper' or something similar so I imagine they are not totally primal. I know I'll have to make some concessions until I can cook for myself again but I wonder if anyone knows how bad these really are. Or has any other suggestions - looking for stuff with super minimal cooking prep and cleanup.

Probably no worse than any other chicken parts you can buy.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

It really depends. We get them on occasion and some have ingredients and others don't, one brand had MSG, but that was the worst ingredient.
      Meghan

My MDA journal

Primal Ponderings- my blog- finally added some food pron :P

And best of all my Body Fat Makeover!!

Comment

not much worse than regular uncooked chicken i would imagine, but that's not saying much. personally, i struggle to buy a bird that i know has been raised in confined, overpopulated, diseased conditions living in its own shit up to its knees.

if it wasn't raised free range i won't buy it - but there are always exceptions. Like when I eat out.

Comment

Our local indie grocery store sells these - but they're in the deli, so I assume they're just pre-roasted, with no added anything (and I'm not gonna complain - I know the family who owns it well (the daughter was at school and pony club with my sister) so, if I go in just before closing time, I can usually get stuff gratis that would otherwise be binned).

They're fairly good about sourcing locally produced meats (but I couldn't say whether they're pastured or grain fed; at the prices they sell them at, I would suspect the latter...)
          La tristesse durera toujours...

Comment

I'll devour one in one sitting. It's a nice treat. Better than a brownie.

Comment

Originally posted by Diana Renata View Post
              I'll devour one in one sitting. It's a nice treat. Better than a brownie.
              My wife would ask me if I was some sort of animal because I would put the whole bird on my plate (after the family got their pieces) and pick it clean.

Even if it's bad, it's good stuff.
              Started my journey on May 22, 2010:

Beginning weight ~180
              Current weight ~145

Nov. 9, 2009........Nov. 9, 2010.....Jun. 17, 2011
              LDL 155...............LDL 176............LDL 139
              HDL 39................HDL 66..............HDL 95
              TGL 154..............TGL 77..............TGL 49

Comment

I agree with DR better than a brownie. Heck you are temporarily disabled so go for the chicken.
                ~*Lori*~
                my Primal journal : http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...-momofredheads
                my food blog http://iamhungrywhatsfordinner.blogspot.com/

SW 231 as of 1/1/2012
                CW 192

Comment

I get them from Costco occasionally...I think (at least the ones from Costco) are injected with a brine-type solution to keep them moist as they cook so the salt levels might be much higher than you'd expect. The flavorings on the outside sorta just taste like salt/pepper/spices, but who knows for sure. When I've gotten them at Whole Foods (at least they're organic and hormone free birds), I buy the ones without special flavorings b/c they usually have sugar added...esp if it's a BBQ sauce. Can't be much, but I happen like plain roasted chicken/skin so that's what I go for. I'm sure its not as healthy as if you did it at home yourself, but there are definitely much worse choices. If I were in your shoes, I'd go for the pre roasted chickens.
                  Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Comment

i get those all of the time. there's a store near me that doesn't coat them in barbecue sauce or anything like other stores. it's pretty much just the chicken and whatever was given to the chicken to plump it up a bit (usually some injection in the meat like kennellmom said). i'll usually get them when i don't have time to cook and need some meat to throw on a salad, but more often than not i just stand at the counter trying to fit the entire carcass in my mouth.
                    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60178.html

Comment

It depends on where you get them. In my area they have free range or amish birds (I don't take much stock in the "amish" title, but the amish company here does adhere to Whole Food humane standards at least...whether that's saying much, who knows?). Once a week, though, I buy them from a local market where they are the special and I try not to worry about it. It doesn't have MSG or any junk in it. But the ones from the groceries around here usually do have MSG.

Comment

I get them occasionally but find them to be VERY salty. Even the plain varieties also regularly have sugar added for no good reason - because God knows us fat American's can't handle anything not coked up with sodium and sugar.
                        carl's cave

Comment

Originally posted by cemdev View Post
                          not much worse than regular uncooked chicken i would imagine, but that's not saying much. personally, i struggle to buy a bird that i know has been raised in confined, overpopulated, diseased conditions living in its own shit up to its knees.

if it wasn't raised free range i won't buy it - but there are always exceptions. Like when I eat out.
                          I won't touch conventionally-raised chickens anymore. Besides the living conditions mentioned, they are shot full of antibiotics, so they can live in said conditions, de-beaked to avoid killing each other in the over-crowded conditions, and fed crap (GMO corn & other grains...) I don't want to eat crap, so why would I eat conventionally-raised chickens? Fortunately, things are slowly starting to change: see this article.
                          Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
                          Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
                          Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

I usually pick one up on payday & eat it throughout the week for breakfasts or a quick snack, then make stock out of the carcass. I'm sure they're not the greatest, but eating that is better than what most of the population eats. Imagine what you'd be eating laid up if you weren't primal...
                            And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the wind longs to play with your hair
                            Kahlil Gibran

http://simplesunshine.wordpress.com

Comment

The only problem with those Walmart ready made chickens in my book is that they are too small. They go quick. My 14 year old grandson will finish one himself. I could too if I let go or didn't pay attention. Whenever I get them, I get a few. Big family. Then all the carcasses go into a pot for soup starter.
                              Tayatha om bekandze

Bekandze maha bekandze

Randza samu gate soha

Comment

Working...
                              X