Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• going Primal while Pregnant

HI everyone!
    I have just been introduced to this site and Mark's blog. I wonder if a woman can go primal in early pregnancy. Assuming there are no health issues and person is otherwise in ok health.
    Thanks.
    E

Yes, eat lots of veggies, fruits and meats. There is no reason it is not healthy for you to eat this way while pregnant.
    Meghan

My MDA journal

Primal Ponderings- my blog- finally added some food pron :P

And best of all my Body Fat Makeover!!

Comment

Nina Planck has some very good info. I cruised through these books during my "learning how to be a good daddy" reading phase.

http://www.ninaplanck.com/books.html
      Every Day is a New Adventure

Comment

Going primal should give your baby optimal vitamins and minerals while reducing your chances of gestational diabetes. I described it to my obstetricians and they were very supportive.

(now if only my messed-up pregnancy appetite and food texture issues would let me go as fully primal as I'd like! But every bit helps. Dodged gestational diabetes this time too, not starchaterian like last pregnancy.)
        "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Comment

I did very well eating this way through my third pregnancy, and avoided having to take diabetes medication.

If there is any way around it at all, skip the gestational diabetes test. It's enough glucose to make you sick and some believe, to induce gestational diabetes.
          junebu8's journ@l

Comment

There is some archaeological evidence of paleolithic women eating lots of wheat and corn and soy products and processed vegetable oils immediately upon becoming pregnant. Your guess is as good as mine.
            You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

Great to go Primal now--also researchers are recommending a Vitamin D supplement right away (4,000-5,000 IUs daily for most folks) and get your levels tested soon. More info here.
              Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
              Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
              Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

If I was pregnant I would seriously consider supplementing choline as it appears to be very significant in brain development:
                HEALTH & LONGEVITY: Prenatal Choline For A Smarter Baby and Adult

Comment

Looks like they followed up on that later and, at least so far, haven't seen a correlation in humans:
                  Choline concentrations in human maternal and cord blood and intelligence at 5 y of age

That said, it appears to be safe to supplement. Now I wish I had taken it (along with a few other things) when pregnant with my first daughter -- I had major aversion to eggs and meat and it was problematic, so I bet my choline levels were low.
                  "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Comment

Working...
                  X