Nails growing like weeds!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nails growing like weeds!

One thing I've noticed since I went from generally low carb to more paleo/primal is that my nails grow crazy fast! I'm amazed at how much more often I have to clip them now. It's kind of annoying! Anyone have an idea as to what would prompt this growth??
    http://healthymindfitbody.com
    "Achieve your perfect weight through the mind-body connection!"

Your body thinks it will be climbing trees to escape from predators.
    Started my journey on May 22, 2010:

Beginning weight ~180
    Current weight ~145

Nov. 9, 2009........Nov. 9, 2010.....Jun. 17, 2011
    LDL 155...............LDL 176............LDL 139
    HDL 39................HDL 66..............HDL 95
    TGL 154..............TGL 77..............TGL 49

Comment

Don't both nails and hair contain keratin (a protein)? Maybe eating more protein is making them stronger/grow faster? have you noticed your hair growing faster as well?

Carrie

Comment

My hair and nails grow faster now that I control the symptoms of diabetes, using primal nutrition.
        junebu8's journ@l

Comment

Originally posted by carres1973 View Post
          Don't both nails and hair contain keratin (a protein)? Maybe eating more protein is making them stronger/grow faster? have you noticed your hair growing faster as well?

Carrie
          My hair does grow pretty fast too, although I haven't noticed as much as the nails...but I think you're onto something here, thanks!
          http://healthymindfitbody.com
          "Achieve your perfect weight through the mind-body connection!"

Comment

Hm. When you say 'I went from generally low carb to more paleo/primal' are you eating more protein or less?

Comment

i can confirm your observations

Comment

Yup, me too. I was vegetarian before, so I assume improved nails & hair (no more split ends) are down to more & better protein.

Last week I had my first virus in 18 months or so. Not many symptoms after a couple of hours, but I did notice my nails didn't need cutting so much.

Comment

My nails and hair both grow noticeably faster than they used to. I don't really mind but I guess it takes up a bit more of my time...
                  Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Comment

mine too! also, was an avid nail biter before, but now that urge has gone away!

Comment

Same here. I was never able to grow my hair passed the collar bone, it would stop growing entirely, get flimsy and break or split.
                      My nails used to peel off the top layer backwards, like paper...and also never grew. They'd rip before 1mm white would show.

Now hair is down to shoulder blades and nails have to be clipped weekly. And I can scrape vegetable matter off the wooden cutting boards with my nails without bending them backwards or ripping them off
                      I can also give my husband a nice back scratch now, something I could never do because my thin, soft nails would bend backwards and rip off my flesh.

Comment

Originally posted by Issabeau View Post
                        Same here. I was never able to grow my hair passed the collar bone, it would stop growing entirely, get flimsy and break or split.
                        My nails used to peel off the top layer backwards, like paper...and also never grew. They'd rip before 1mm white would show.

Now hair is down to shoulder blades and nails have to be clipped weekly. And I can scrape vegetable matter off the wooden cutting boards with my nails without bending them backwards or ripping them off
                        I can also give my husband a nice back scratch now, something I could never do because my thin, soft nails would bend backwards and rip off my flesh.
                        youch! I can relate to bendy nails! when I would be able to control myself from biting them long enough for them to grow, they would be very bendy! but now, they're nice and strong! love it

Comment

Yep, nails growing fast and hair becoming stronger... way less split ends. Still bit my nails though, but they are harder to bite, more motivation not to

Comment

The nail thing is driving me crazy! I hate having nails past the ends on my fingers and I've had to start cutting them nearly twice a week. It's actually more annoying than good...

Comment

Probably the protein. My hair and nails grow faster than ever since taking collagen.
                              Late 50s, post-menopausal, low carb with some dairy, following the 5 Leptin Rules, taking ThyroGold, eating lots o' fiber and zero wheat with great results. My Primal Journal

Comment

Working...
                              X