Call to Action. Stop the Farm Safety Enhancement Act

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Call to Action. Stop the Farm Safety Enhancement Act

We all love food here, especially the good stuff. Many of us are living on tight budgets. This bill will not only raise food prices, but make the good stuff more regulated.

I called my representatives. I'm following up this afternoon with letters. I hope you'll do the same.

http://www.anh-usa.org/emergency-act...d-safety-bill/

What exactly is your objection to this bill?

Leahy introduces food-safety bill

By Julian Pecquet - 09/13/10 03:57 PM ET

Senate Judiciary Chair Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.) on Monday introduced a bill that would create a new criminal offense for any individual or corporation that knowingly distributes tainted food products. The bill also establishes fines and prison sentences of up to 10 years for those convicted of such a crime.

The new bill, known as the Food Safety Accountability Act, comes in the wake of a massive recall of tainted eggs linked to salmonella poisonings.

Leahy said Monday he has placed the bill on the agenda for his panel's business meeting scheduled for Thursday.

"The American people should be confident that the food they buy for their families is safe," Leahy said in a statement. "The Food Safety Accountability Act will hold criminals who poison our food supply accountable for their crimes. The fines and recalls that usually result from criminal violations under current law fall short in protecting the public from harmful products. Too often, those who are willing to endanger our children in pursuit of profits view such fines or recalls as just the cost of doing business. This common sense bill increases the sentences that prosecutors can seek for people who knowingly violate our food safety laws."

Comment

Done
      My whole life, I've felt like an animal......but I've ignored my instincts. I ignored what I really am. That will never happen again.

My blog

Comment

Originally posted by stef View Post
        What exactly is your objection to this bill?
        Fundamentally, less law is always better than more.
        You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
          Fundamentally, less law is always better than more.
          Less law is preferable to less salmonella?

Comment

Yes. Salmonella will work itself out.

Comment

Here's a great summary of why this law is a terrible idea from the Farm to Consumer Legal Defense Fund:
              http://www.farmtoconsumer.org/aa/aa-...enate-vote.htm

Comment

More regulation only hurts the little guy, no matter what the subject.

Not only will it harm small farms, but it'll make conventional products more expensive, and like it or not even those of us who have abandoned conventional products will be affected.

Comment

I am opposed to salmonella but I do not think this is the way to solve the problem. This is the nuclear approach, and the brunt of the fallout will be felt by small SAFE producers who don't have the money to kiss FDA behind. The giant industrial farms which are the real source of the problem are much less likely to be affected - except in having an excuse to raise their prices.

If you are concerned about a disease-tainted food supply, buy local! If you can't buy local, find a supplier you can trust and buy from them. They are the ones who would be harmed by this bill, not the actual purveyors of diseased product.

Comment

one aspect, too, of the act will prohibit people from giving away or selling home-grown veggies and fruits from their own gardens, because once you have X number of produce-bearing plants, you will be considered a farm. and it's a ridiculously low number, btw. So, community gardens could be affected, and any back yard grower. it's *messed up*. talked to our reps (via email) last week!

Comment

if that's the law i think it is, you WON'T BE ABLE to buy local because the fees are excessive and farmers won't be able to afford it
                      beautiful
                      yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
                      lol

Comment

All part of the government's plan to make us completely reliant on big business

*tinfoil hat*

Comment

beautiful
                          yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
                          lol

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy Caveman View Post
                            All part of the government's plan to make us completely reliant on big business

*tinfoil hat*
                            Where are you finding tin?

I'm stuck with aluminum--the voices are still getting through to me.

Comment

Sort of random, but this just felt like a good place to repost my fave quotation:

"Thomas Jefferson said he didnít think we could have democracy unless at least 20% of the population was self-supporting on small farms so they were independent enough to be able to tell an oppressive government to stuff it. It is very difficult to control people ... who canít be bullied because they can feed their own faces." -Eliot Coleman

And I would like to see this bill fail. I suspect it will make it even harder for all our small local farmers here in Cali to be able to afford to grow their food the way they want. They are always right on the margin anyway - the last thing they need is more regulation, compliance, and fees to push them over the edge.
                              ~ Ex-Herbivore Goes Carnivore: Jazmin's PB Journal ~

Comment

Working...
                              X