For all the scale obsessed Fat vs. Muscle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For all the scale obsessed Fat vs. Muscle

I Just saw this on my facebook page from another friend and I thought I would just post the video here. I don't know much about the websites she is promoting but I thought it was a good visual of the fat vs. muscle for those who have a hard time with the whole scale, of course I point fingers at myself first .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ozt-V...layer_embedded
    ~*Lori*~
    my Primal journal : http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...-momofredheads
    my food blog http://iamhungrywhatsfordinner.blogspot.com/

SW 231 as of 1/1/2012
    CW 192

Muscle is about 17% more dense than fat depending on water content. That video suggests that it's more than triple and I would also imagine that depiction of muscle was pure dry fiber..................bullshit baffles brains.
    Whether you think you can..... or you think you can't..... your 100 % correct.

Comment

A good pep talk. I've been getting bummed about the scale going up, BUT I'm still wearing the jeans I had a year ago... so thank you. I really do need to toss out the scale.

Comment

How funny that I just put up a post about me giving up the scale. I'm so done letting it dictate the way I feel about my body! Thank you!
        Strong is the new Skinny!

Comment

I always pay more attention to the mirror than the scale.

People judge you based on how you look not on how much you weigh.

Comment

Originally posted by Chefgerry View Post
            Muscle is about 17% more dense than fat depending on water content. That video suggests that it's more than triple and I would also imagine that depiction of muscle was pure dry fiber..................bullshit baffles brains.
            So, the less water content the denser the muscle?

What increases/decreases the water content of muscle?
            A steak a day keeps the doctor away

Comment

The part about weighing a pound heavier if you drink a pound of water is BS of the purest ray serene. I have weighed, eaten big, and weighed again, and actualy weighed less. That's right, less. you weight fluctuates through out the day, regardless of what you eat or how much you exercise.
              sigpicI'm not old, I'm Vintage!

Comment

A pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat

Comment

Originally posted by drbrik View Post
                  A pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat
                  Yup that was just my point!! I wasn't trying to get technical about how big her sample of fat was or about the water thing, it was just to realize that it is better to be losing fat and gaining muscle but the scale may never move.
                  Last edited by momofredheads; 11-21-2010, 05:47 AM. Reason: spelling
                  ~*Lori*~
                  my Primal journal : http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...-momofredheads
                  my food blog http://iamhungrywhatsfordinner.blogspot.com/

SW 231 as of 1/1/2012
                  CW 192

Comment

Originally posted by 979roadrunner View Post
                    The part about weighing a pound heavier if you drink a pound of water is BS of the purest ray serene. I have weighed, eaten big, and weighed again, and actualy weighed less. That's right, less. you weight fluctuates through out the day, regardless of what you eat or how much you exercise.
                    Yeah, I totally don't get that at all. Even as far back as my CW days, I'd drink a pint of water before bed. It's weird, I'd weigh, drink the water, and weigh a pound more. Worked every single time.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushrat View Post
                      So, the less water content the denser the muscle?

What increases/decreases the water content of muscle?
                      To a point....not much difference percentage wise. I don't think a ketogenic diet would = beef jerky muscle mass lol.
                      Whether you think you can..... or you think you can't..... your 100 % correct.

Comment

I love weighing myself to see how different factors affect the number (gym, water, junk food, typical meal, etc), but I no longer base how I feel that day on what it says. Actually I'm excited as I have stayed the same net weight for about a month, but the inches are dropping. That's pure win in my books- leangains!
                        Stats: 5'6" female, 21 years young
                        Starting Weight: 187 lbs (March 2010)
                        Current Weight: 143 lbs (Oct 2011)
                        Goal BF: 20%

Super D Omega 3 daily & BCAAs preworkout

Comment

Originally posted by Chefgerry View Post
                          Pedantic issues aside, it is a good message. Glycogen repleted muscle is full of water.

Comment

I picked up a body fat percentage measurer thingy on Amazon. That will be replacing my scale at the house. You can get them pretty cheap (starting around $20) but they're not totally accurate. If you spend more money you can get some that are much more accurate, but it's not worth it to me. It's just nice having something that can remind you that you’re doing the right thing even if the scales tell you otherwise.

Comment

I like to use a tape measure and the US Navy body fat calculator (http://www.calculator.net/body-fat-calculator.html) to estimate body fat and track my progress.

Comment

Working...
                              X