Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any swing shift, or rotating swing workers out there?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any swing shift, or rotating swing workers out there?

I work a rotating swing shift where in 5 weeks time I work 7 midnights, 7 day shifts, and 4 float days (may be midnights or days). Anyone else work something similar? How are your energy levels?

I've been doing this for eight years now and I cannot remember what it was like to live in a 9 to 5 world. I don't usually have a problem falling asleep when working midnights, but I average only about 5 hours of sleep. On day shifts I average about 6 hours of sleep. I have noticed that I don't feel as tired when I am at work since going primal, however my overall enegy levels have not increased drastically, but it has only been a few weeks so we will see in due time if that changes.

Anyways I did a search and didn't find anything really related to this topic, so some input would be appreciated.

I worked the midnight shift for around 17 years. I'm on a regular day shift now.

I really enjoyed the night shift, but I had always told people that to be able to do it, you had to get your sleep. I also told them to prepare to feel sickish all the time. I saved a bunch on doctor visits because I felt bad often enough that if I was indeed sick, I didn't really know it.
    Started my journey on May 22, 2010:

Beginning weight ~180
    Current weight ~145

Nov. 9, 2009........Nov. 9, 2010.....Jun. 17, 2011
    LDL 155...............LDL 176............LDL 139
    HDL 39................HDL 66..............HDL 95
    TGL 154..............TGL 77..............TGL 49

Comment

Our schedule is SUPPOSED to rotate every 2 months. But I've been stuck on this 5a - 2p shift for a while. Getting up at 4am isn't something I'm getting used to.

Am about to go to the over night shift for Dec/Jan. Should be 7p - 6a 4x a week.

I just try to eat right and sleep as much as I can.
      Even if you fall flat on your face, at least you're moving forward!

Comment

When I did, I averaged 3 hours of sleep after a night shift. It damn near killed me. I suggest a different job.

Comment

My family does that. I don't know how they survive. Their schedule is 7 days, 1 day off, 7 evenings 1 day off, 7 nights, 5 days off. I'd be so screwed.

Comment

Originally posted by Diana Renata View Post
            My family does that. I don't know how they survive. Their schedule is 7 days, 1 day off, 7 evenings 1 day off, 7 nights, 5 days off. I'd be so screwed.
            I did this for 2 years and it was awful. You can never get your body right which helped for working day shift when I had to get up at 4am. Then I worked 2nd shift I nevre saw my wife for that week. The long weekends were nice though.
            Check out my primal blog: http://primalroar.posterous.com/

Comment

I'm on midnights, 23:00 to 07:30, for 13 years now. I make my bedroom like a darkroom and have a fan or the AC going for ambient noise and I do sleep but the shift takes its toll. I know that it is remarkably unhealthy but I'm stuck for a few more years. After the last couple of years I've come to look at any job as a privilege so I don't have any complaints.

I will say that going primal has elevated my energy level. I never did drink that much coffee but it has become more of a pleasure than a necessity.
              Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

Comment

Longtime swing/weekend shift worker here. (I work for a hospital.) Today, Wednesday, is actually my Saturday.

My hours have been the same for years, but a rotating shift has got to be brutal.

It impacts me far more socially and wrt to my hobbies than health-wise. My co-workers on swing call it "the divorce shift."
                "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

Originally posted by IvyBlue View Post
                  After the last couple of years I've come to look at any job as a privilege so I don't have any complaints.
                  Yeah, me too.

Working the crappy shift is also job security in and of itself.
                  "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

I haven't worked swing shift in years, but I do all nighters.....I found that sitting in the sun for a few minutes after sleeping late in the day helps. 2 days a month I stay up all night (6pm-6am shift). Right now I work 1pm to 1225am...5 days on 5 days off....it sucks. Starting Friday i'm back on 7am to 625pm...cant wait!

Comment

Working...
                    X