Anyone here at MDA in the military?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone here at MDA in the military?

After much thought I have decided to enlist as an officer in the united states military. My plan is to go to OCS and get a finance job of some kind. I already have a college degree, but I am hoping to find a way for the military to comp for an MBA down the line. I still can't believe I have decided on this...but it feels right and I am dedicated to it. I've done a lot of research but I still haven't worked the gonads to call the recruiting offices of the various branches.

I've come to greatly respect the insights of the MDA community, on primal living and life in general, so I am hoping to communicate with those here who are in/have been in the military and get advice ect.

Grok on -Pete

What branch are you considering? Hubs is in the navy, and I have a school friend who's retired Air Force. Depending on what you want to get out of it and the amount of travel you do (or don't) want to do you may want to go one way or the other. Also, what job are you considering doing IN the military? That's the BIGGEST decision and you're stuck with it once you're in, so I'd definitely figure that out and talk to people doing that same job to get a feel for what it REALLY entails...
    sigpic "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Comment

Meg's military. Why don't you PM her...?
      La tristesse durera toujours...

Comment

why is it that you want to enter into an institution like the military?
        Starting Weight : 338lbs 6/11/2010
        Current Weight: 266lbs
        High-school Weight: 235lbs
        Goal: ????

Comment

Pete:
          I'm Active Duty Army Officer. I've been in for 10 years. Maybe it's because I'm a combat arms guy, but stuff like this:

I already have a college degree, but I am hoping to find a way for the military to comp for an MBA down the line.
          grinds my gears significantly. This isn't a good enough reason to me - service has to be something you believe in. Don't join my Army just because you want something from Uncle Sugar. You have to believe in what you're doing - particularly if you're expecting the Army to send you to OCS.

Are you okay with leaving your loved ones for a year at a time to deploy in harms way? Even support soldiers (read: finance officers, logistics guys, etc) all have to do that.

Are you okay with being on call 24/7? Missing anniversaries and birthdays because you're training? Missing weekends for no other reason than work needs to get done?

Again, I'm all about you getting in - but you need to ask yourself a few more tough questions. If you're just looking for a free MBA (BTW - someone may be misleading you if you think you just get let into OCS and a master's) then I'd commend to you that the Army probably isn't for you.

Just my honest opinion.

That being said - if you have questions - please feel free to fire away. If you'd like, PM me, and I'll even give you my email address.

Comment

more importantly, are you ok with killing people?

Comment

more importantly, are you ok with killing people?
              Indeed.

For some of us, that's the fun part.

Though that being said - if he's going to be a bean-counter, there isn't a whole lot of killing he'll be doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Arikara6 View Post
                Indeed.

For some of us, that's the fun part.

Though that being said - if he's going to be a bean-counter, there isn't a whole lot of killing he'll be doing.
                that's a terrifyingly evil statement.

Comment

[QUOTE][that's a terrifyingly evil statement.
                  /QUOTE]

Yeah, meant to be in jest - though probably in poor taste. Apologies. We all cope with our own shit in our own way.
                  Last edited by Arikara6; 11-10-2010, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Russ, PM inbound.

Comment

received.

Comment

Pete, I see a bit of a red flag in your message. You said enlist and officer in the same sentence, which means to me you have talked to an enlisted recruiter. If you already have a degree, please for the love all all that is good, contact an officer recruiter! The enlisted recruiters will say many things to get you to enlist, and promise you things they can't provide. Then after Basic you will find that it isn't as easy as you thought to become commissioned.

Depending on what your degree is in you may be eligible for a direct commission. If you are not you can be accepted directly into some commissioning programs. If you can find a way to have it on your original contract that you will be commissioned then you are in a better place. OCS can be a competitive program depending on the needs of the military, so it isn't guaranteed that you will get accepted once you enlist, especially if you get a job that the military does not want to release you from to allow you to attend OCS.
                        Meghan

My MDA journal

Primal Ponderings- my blog- finally added some food pron :P

And best of all my Body Fat Makeover!!

Comment

I've served in the Army and in the Air Force. The thing that many people don't understand is the military isn't a job. It consumes your life. At times, it's very exciting. Other times, you want to stab your eyes out because you're doing something you utterly hate but have few options for making a change. I agree with the previous concerns about joining simply to get an advanced degree underwritten. If there isn't a love of service and a desire to give something back then save yourself and those in service a lot of grief and move on.

And listen to NutMeg: you don't "enlist" if you're becoming an officer.

Feel free to send me a private message with any questions you may have.
                          Last edited by say_rahhh; 11-10-2010, 10:18 PM.
                          Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
                          ~Borges

Comment

I appreciate the honest responses from everyone. I didn't mean to imply that I'm strictly considering joining for a free MBA meal ticket...hardly. I'm merely considering that as a nice possible incentive to being an officer, but it's not at all the reason I'm planning to do this. I do take great interest in the notion of service to my country. If I really wanted to grind out a corporate job post graduation I would have found it by now. Instead, I've simply gotten by on odds and ends jobs here and there that don't really have a future, and certainly don't utilize my degree in math/econ.

I've been doing a ton of research on the various branches and trying to talk to everyone I can to learn more about the service, having worked harder at this by far than networking for a regular job. To those who've asked: I'm looking into finance positions in the Air Force, Navy, and Army. I haven't talked to any recruiters yet, but my plan is to call the various recruiters in my area this week, however, I couldn't find distinct officer and "enlisting" recruiter contact information.

I'm definitely going to pm some people in this thread, because honestly I need to talk to as many people as I can and get the right information.

Comment

http://www.airforce.com/opportunitie.../nontechnical/

For the Air Force try this. It should help you get in contact with an officer recruiter. Some of the jobs that you may be able to use your degree would be, finance, contracting, logistics, services and cost analysis. There are other positions only require a bachelors degree too.
                              Last edited by NutMeg; 11-10-2010, 11:24 PM.
                              Meghan

My MDA journal

Primal Ponderings- my blog- finally added some food pron :P

And best of all my Body Fat Makeover!!

Comment

Working...
                              X