Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone suffer from SAD?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Anyone suffer from SAD?

    And, obviously, I don't mean Standard American Diet... . I'm REALLY struggling at the moment; I did have a supplement (NOW Foods Mood Enhancer or something it was called) which contained SJW 450mg per dose (I believe the dose was 2 caps - I've chucked the empty bottle now).

    Now I've often found that SJW makes me rather drowsy (not that I give a damn about that at the moment - the weather being as it is (feckin' freezing, gale force winds and peeing it down!) but I don't want to be in a permanent state of semi-torpor!)

    So any suggestions...?! Now, I don't have a GP at the moment (but, even if I did, I'd certainly NOT be asking for ADs (not that anyone would script them for me - not with my past history!)). The only benefit would be money off-a 'lightbox' (which I can't afford to buy).

    Right now I wish I was a bear; I don't give a damn about xmas (in fact, I HATE it - and this year's gonna be worse than usual. We're not going to Dorset for a start...)) - I'd quite happily go to sleep at the autumnal equinox and wake up at the vernal.

    But, being as I am not a bear (though I am fairly grizzly) - any help? I'm taking vit D (at what I would term a 'megadose' (10,000UI x 3 daily) but it's doing bugger all (I'm taking Dr.'s Best 5,000UI - I looked at the bottle this morning and noticed that it was derived from soybean oil! Not exactly happy about that). I take Suntheanine, but even that's stopped working.

    If anyone has any ideas, please let me know - or I'm gonna end up incarcerated again (and I don't even want to contemplate thinking about that - because psychiatric prisons are - well, I don't call them that for no reason...)

    Thank you

    Sarah xxx
    La tristesse durera toujours...

  • #2
    Hi Sarah,

    I have this problem too. I think you should take either SJW or Sam-e (I am trying Sam-e this time) plus keep up with your D3, and take ~3gm fish oil per day. Cillikat recommended that I also take B-6 and magnesium.

    Besides supplements, make sure you get some exercise most days (30-60 minutes). It really helps. If you can go outside for a walk, you can kill 2 birds with one stone--the light hitting your eyes in addition to the exercise is a good therapy for SAD. When walking outside, don't obscure your eyes with glasses as you want the light to enter your eyes.

    Some people have success using a light box in the morning for 30 minutes. I have one but rarely use it...might get it out again.
    I'm a quitter...but I'm back now.

    Comment


    • #3
      write some poems

      Comment


      • #4
        Just curious. If you don't like the cold and feel the need to stay inside, how would just looking out a window work?

        Make sure it is day and not night, of course.
        Tayatha om bekandze

        Bekandze maha bekandze

        Randza samu gate soha

        Comment


        • #5
          I have found that both Vitamin D and fish oil do precisely nothing. I recommend moving to Florida.
          The Primal Journey of Mr and Mrs Fist
          Blog
          sigpic

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Primal Fist View Post
            I have found that both Vitamin D and fish oil do precisely nothing. I recommend moving to Florida.
            LOL, I seriously consider moving back to Ft Lauderdale every time winter comes around up here. *sigh* I actually like winter and I am not affected by SAD as much as when I lived in Maine (many years ago). I try to keep *all* of my window shades wide open during daylight hours and get outside even when it's cold. The sun brightens your mood regardless of the temperature. Ofcourse eating the proper diet is helpful too.
            Still, nothing like relaxing on the sandy beach in 80 degree sunny weather in January and Ferbruary

            Comment


            • #7
              I've always suffered this, but I'm optimistic in that my new found lifestyle, supplements, and attitude in general will help with this. Yes, this sounds corny, but I've found that a lot of the physical things I suffered were worsened by my negativity. We shall see...
              Starting Weight/BMI: 184/29.7
              Current Weight/BMI: 130 /21.0
              Ultimate Goal: 125/18

              Comment


              • #8
                Get outside as much as you can on weekends when you can be out in the daylight...even if it's just driving around.

                Look into purchasing a Dawn Simulator for waking up. I have one. I love it. The complete standalone units are absurdly expensive but I have one that you plug your own light into...it's a little more reasonable.
                carl's cave

                Comment


                • #9
                  Jason,

                  I used to - but you DO NOT want to read my poetry; you ever listened to The Manic Street Preachers, Pink Floyd or Leonard Cohen? They're cheery, cheeky chappies compared to me when I'm in the depths of despair...

                  I stopped when I realised it was only compounding the suicidal ideations to the point where I was actually acting on what I was writing.

                  Richie Edwards (once principal lyricist of the Manics; now missing, presumed to have jumped from the Clifton Suspension Bridge in '95) carved 4REAL into his arm after a gig at London's Astoria. I have 'PURE EVIL' carved into my left arm (thankfully I didn't go too deep, so it's barely visible now).

                  You REALLY don't wanna know how fucked up I really am.
                  La tristesse durera toujours...

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Primal Fist View Post
                    I have found that both Vitamin D and fish oil do precisely nothing. I recommend moving to Florida.
                    Or Nerja.
                    sigpic

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Katie82 View Post
                      LOL, I seriously consider moving back to Ft Lauderdale every time winter comes around up here. *sigh* I actually like winter and I am not affected by SAD as much as when I lived in Maine (many years ago). I try to keep *all* of my window shades wide open during daylight hours and get outside even when it's cold. The sun brightens your mood regardless of the temperature. Ofcourse eating the proper diet is helpful too.
                      Still, nothing like relaxing on the sandy beach in 80 degree sunny weather in January and Ferbruary
                      Yeah, but living in Ft. Lauderdale gives you a whole new set of things to be depressed about . Sunshine ain't everything.
                      My blog: My Primal Adventure

                      "I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubble gum."

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by carlh View Post
                        Get outside as much as you can on weekends when you can be out in the daylight...even if it's just driving around.

                        Look into purchasing a Dawn Simulator for waking up. I have one. I love it. The complete standalone units are absurdly expensive but I have one that you plug your own light into...it's a little more reasonable.
                        Thanks Carl, but I don't drive (with my MH history, I'm not deemed safe enough to hold a licence).

                        I've never seen such a thing in the UK; I only know about the standalone lightboxes (and they're stupidly expensive for someone on welfare, too). I've got a daylight 'energy saving' bulb in my bedside lamp, which helps a little, but it's not wonderful.

                        Found a Philips box on Amazon for 158. Will have to dig deep and order it, because I can't go on like this!
                        La tristesse durera toujours...

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Just4ME View Post
                          I've always suffered this, but I'm optimistic in that my new found lifestyle, supplements, and attitude in general will help with this. Yes, this sounds corny, but I've found that a lot of the physical things I suffered were worsened by my negativity. We shall see...
                          I can't help being negative. Wish I could. I'm TRYING my best (starting with the 'size 6/8' ain't that bad. What do you want to be a 4/6 for...?' It works (almost!) until I have to visit my hairdresser (who IS a size 4 (skinny cow! Thing is, it's IMPOSSIBLE to hate her for it - especially when she's cutting other lasses' tresses and she has none of her own (I didn't know until she told me the last time - her wig's very convincing!) and I feel like a right fat bitch again!

                          I'll get there - one day... <sigh>
                          La tristesse durera toujours...

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by skink531 View Post
                            Yeah, but living in Ft. Lauderdale gives you a whole new set of things to be depressed about . Sunshine ain't everything.
                            haha, true. The traffic, all the people, the cost, trash everywhere and no good way out! But, if you live east of 95, or Federal for that matter and you stay in your own little bubble close to the beach it's not that bad! I enjoyed it before kids but once they were born I couldn't imagine raising them there so we got out...and now I miss it, wish I could take the kids to key biscane and let them play in the crystal clear water. I totally have "the grass is greener on the other side syndrome", LOL.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Go to Hawaii! We just got back from there. 80F all year round. Beautiful. Everyone is so friendly too! Reminds me very much of home (I'm from North Queensland originally).

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X