Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Socially acceptable, cheap, barefoot-style shoes?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The first pair I bought at a Nike outlet store in Japan, they are identical to the ones in the picture I posted above - I love them. I use them as slippers at work (Japan even at school I have to take my outdoor shoes off!). The second pair I got in a bargain bin at random shoe store in Japan again, they are a little different actually, I just hunted around my house for the box and found it - they are called "sneakerboat"
    The u-soc are slip on, fully elasticized.
    The sneakerboat, have a stronger toe and are closer fitting and have a lacing/strawstring system on the top to get a really tight fit, they are very flexible, but grippy enough that I can use them for indoor climbing.
    They are very minimalistic shoes, just a thin piece of sticky rubber and some thin neoprene on top.

Fear of the unknown...They are afraid of new ideas. they are loaded with prejudices, not based upon anything in reality, but based onÖ if something is new, I reject it immediately because itís frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.

Comment

I like them. I'll just have to keep searching

Comment

here's a good review

...but it seems they have been discontinued, which is a bummer! I will have to keep my eyes peeled in bargain bins for old stock.
        Fear of the unknown...They are afraid of new ideas. they are loaded with prejudices, not based upon anything in reality, but based onÖ if something is new, I reject it immediately because itís frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.

Comment

I rock a pair of Converse All Star Light shoes ( http://www.converse.com/#/products/S...Taylor/511530F ); even with the additional "arch support" they advertise, the shoes are still lighter and far more flexible than traditional Chucks. The Men's version is the "Slim" line.
          * Pixy's Quest for Regaining Health *
          Trying to gain weight, clear scarring acne, and fix thyroid and digestive issues with primal lifestyle- here goes something!

Comment

I had a pair of Minnetonka moccasins that were among my favorite and most comfortable pairs of shoes. They had very thin pads at the bottom, and no rubber soles. Here is a link to ones similar to mine (mine were black, not brown). I don't know how well they would hold up as running shoes, but they made great everyday waking shoes for me. I would not recommend wearing them in the rain, though.

http://www.zappos.com/minnetonka-cla...le-brown-suede

They're not exactly cheap, but they're not as expensive as Vibrams.
            My rarely updated outlet for random occurrences of creativity.

Alo's Nest

Comment

Originally posted by Valarauko View Post
              The first pair I bought at a Nike outlet store in Japan, they are identical to the ones in the picture I posted above - I love them. I use them as slippers at work (Japan even at school I have to take my outdoor shoes off!). The second pair I got in a bargain bin at random shoe store in Japan again, they are a little different actually, I just hunted around my house for the box and found it - they are called "sneakerboat"
              The u-soc are slip on, fully elasticized.
              The sneakerboat, have a stronger toe and are closer fitting and have a lacing/strawstring system on the top to get a really tight fit, they are very flexible, but grippy enough that I can use them for indoor climbing.
              They are very minimalistic shoes, just a thin piece of sticky rubber and some thin neoprene on top.

I have these too. Great to wear around. Now that its cold out i wear my keens around, but for summer I sported these Nike's everywhere. I got them at sports Authority. But I cant find them anywhere now.
              Family Living Simple blog

Facebook

Twitter @Famlivingsimple

Comment

I actually have the black ones at the bottom of the page.

http://www.runblogger.com/2010/05/ni...potential.html
                Family Living Simple blog

Facebook

Twitter @Famlivingsimple

Comment

Originally posted by QuirkyPixy View Post
                  I rock a pair of Converse All Star Light shoes ( http://www.converse.com/#/products/S...Taylor/511530F ); even with the additional "arch support" they advertise, the shoes are still lighter and far more flexible than traditional Chucks. The Men's version is the "Slim" line.
                  Narrower construction. Not good for those of us with wide feet
                  sigpicI'm not old, I'm Vintage!

Comment

I just bought these Nike Hull shoes online. I will let you know what they are like when I get them.

Comment

I don't have any good suggestions. I just wanted to say "get over yourself." It's not like you planned on wearing VFFs to a club or anything, right? Right? So all that leaves is the price tag. Wear them as walking shoes around town and they'll last you a good 3 months. Wear them inside at the gym and who knows, but they're probably a very good investment that way.

Now I'm off to Wimbledon! *whoosh*
                      You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

An option I just saw blogged about yesterday:

www.sockwa.com

The price is good for the Dojo style ($30) and they look really nice. They are my next purchase:-)!

Carrie

Comment

Originally posted by Annika View Post
                          I had an men's version too, which I have seen referred to as "kung fu shoes". A big advantage to them is that even the fancier ones are usually less than $20. Here's one online store that carries them: http://www.natashascafe.com/html/shoes.html.
                          Annika - I read your quote on Monday, ordered my $9 pair online same day, got them on Tuesday. Love them. Very comfy and well made. Walking in them reminds me of high school wrestling shoes. I second Annika's recommendation for the Kung Fu shoes.

Note : their website sizing info is right on the money. I measure between a 42 or a 43 in VFF's; however I am a 10.5 men's US size, which Natasha's call a 44s. I thought the 44 would be too big, but I took their advice and ordered the 44 and they are spot-on.
                          Never eat anything bigger than your own head.

Comment

What about martial arts shoes?

http://www.karatedepot.com/martialartsshoes.html
                            My Before/After Pics
                            Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Comment

With my martial art shoes, the heel is not too big but there is not really any flex through it.

Comment

Got the Nike Hulls. Very flexible through the sole. Toe box feels a little restrictive but better than my runners. They feel good to run in. Even better for going out in to places where you are expected to wear shoes. I've also ordered a pair of Huarache sandals from invisible shoes to wear out in summer.

Comment

Working...
                                X