No announcement yet.

Good DARK Chocolate?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like the Paul Newman's Organics...72%, I think (I'm out!)
    Ancestral Nutrition Coaching
    Pregnancy Nutrition Coaching
    Primal Pregnancy Nutrition Article

Comment

I had some Lindt 60% and it was great. Obviously too much sugar and crap in the ingredients but it had that smooth Lindt centre.

In fact, I think thats what is wrong with chocolate. Either you have it full of sugar or all cocoa and nothing else.

I am looking at making my own chocolate. I would prefer to keep the cocoa down to around 50% and have the rest heavy dairy and see if I can recreate that creaminess and smoothness without all that sugar. Unfortunately it might be too bitter.
      Either way, what I really want is a good source of Mg and Fat with no sugar, or if I must have sugar than perhaps I can heavily mix in nuts and fruits to counteract the bitterness, or go wild with vanilla flavouring.
      A steak a day keeps the doctor away

Comment

Originally posted by jodyanne View Post
        Lidl and Aldi do lovely 81% and 85% brands.
        I never thiught to check Aldi! Are they good sources for any other key primal ingredients?

Comment

I would prefer to keep the cocoa down to around 50% and have the rest heavy dairy
          With a bit of practise, after some google research to get the quantities right, it is possible to do this with water rather than cream. (search "water ganache") When it works it's almost like magic!
          activate the rhythm, the rhythm that has always been within

Comment

Try looking here:

http://chocosphere.com/

My favorite is still the 85% dark chocolate bars from Galler.
            If I don't live my dream, who will?

Comment

My favorite for only 1.49/100g

Here's a decent review. Just ignore the vegan nonesense

Comment

Originally posted by liss View Post
                Re: Lindt offering different bars in the UK

If SeventyPercent's reviews are to be trusted--and I think they are--Lindt vends some different bars in the UK. For instance, Martin Christy gave high praise to the US version of the Lindt 85% bar, while Alex Rast disliked the UK Lindt 85% and despaired that the UK didn't have access to the version sold in the States. (The reviews come up in a search right now, but for some reason you can't access them. Must be a database bug...)

A few years ago I was determined to experience the UK 85% for myself and wrote to Lindt about it. They never responded. My attempts to acquire a UK Lindt 85% have been utterly fruitless. Ah well. I remain puzzled by Lindt's practice of vending slightly different bars in the UK and the rest of the world.
                Liss,

I will make you an offer. I will send you a Lindt 85% bar as a one off - they sell them at the store in town. Email me your address and I'll sort it. Won't be this week though as we're in for gale force winds and torrential rain.

But I will, won't cost me that much.
                La tristesse durera toujours...

Comment

Originally posted by Styrofoam Jones View Post
                  I tried the 85% bar from Aldi and it was surprisingly good. I prefer it over the Lindt bars in that range, as it's creamier and less dry.
                  I agree, I made a special trip to Aldi today to try the 85% Moser Roth. I like it better than Lindt 85% and it's on sale this week. I aldo like the pacaging, each bar has 5 individually wrapped mini bars. Helps with portion control.

Comment

Originally posted by Shrinking_Violet View Post
                    Liss,

I will make you an offer. I will send you a Lindt 85% bar as a one off - they sell them at the store in town. Email me your address and I'll sort it. Won't be this week though as we're in for gale force winds and torrential rain.

But I will, won't cost me that much.
                    Oh Sarah, you dear lovely woman, that is such a kind offer. I have been told by more than one UK chocolate shop that shipping bars to the US involves a nightmare of forms. Very few are willing to do it. I could not possibly put you in that situation. Nonetheless, huge thanks for your offer. Someday in the next few years I'm determined to visit England and try that crazy Lindt. If I make it there and you're interested, we must meet up for a nice Paleo lunch.

Comment

Liss, I am positive I have seen the Lindt 85% in Canada. Surely it would be easier to just plan a trip up north and raid a Shoppers Drug Mart for their Lindt bars?

Comment

Originally posted by Saoirse View Post
                        not a fan of the g&b myself, also has that "burnt" taste. hmmm... ritter-sport... I've heard of that but am not sure where to get it. i know that i can order the dagoba, though.

alright, so i ordered the dagoba and i noticed another- alter eco. i'm going to try both of these and report back. the order should be in next Thursday.

a-ha! I recognize the ritter sport as a brand that my hungarian friend feeds me. hers, however, is a very sweet kind. i will have to ask where she buys it to see if i can locate a darker version.
                        Re: Ritter Sport, they sell them in my local Target, the grocery store in the "ethnic" aisle (near German stuff), and at World Market. My absolute FAVORITE Ritter Sport is the Alpine Milk bar in the light blue wrapper. DO NOT EAT if you thing dark chocolate is too sweet because it is VERY milky and sweet (but in a good way at least to me). Good luck to you!

Carrie

Comment

have any of you tried the chocolate from http://www.sunfood.com/food/cacao-ch...html?limit=all OMG To DIE FOR! I don't buy there very often any more b/c of compeating demands for $$$ Right now - so splurges are few and far btwn. during the holidays I make my own dark chocolate nut truffels... using the NFL cacao powder, cacao butter, soaked walnuts, soaked brazil nuts, coconut oil, and a smidge of agave nectar! They're gone when I take them to work w/in 10mins of me setting them out at our AA's desk! I've got to dig up the recipe for thanks giving...

I also love the dagoba dark chocolate bars... if I just want a small treat I buy the WFM brand 85% dark chocolate chips and nibble on a TBS at a time... quite delicious
                          The most depraved type of human being is the man without a purpose. ~ Ayn Rand
                          What's your purpose? Mine is Optimal Health.

Converted to PB November 2010
                          SW 190lb
                          Leptin Reset Redux (1Sep 2011) SW 170lbs
                          25 Sep 2011 160lbs
                          1 Dec 2011 158lbs!
                          GW ~135lbs
                          5'3"
                          Mother of 2, and wife to a kick ass husband...trying to contain chaos and havoc on a daily basis

My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread40609.html

Comment

My favorite is the endangered species brand. The panther bar is 88%, creamy and smooth and pretty darn tasty! And they carry it at the regular stores around here which is useful too!

Comment

Originally posted by unchatenfrance View Post
                              Liss, I am positive I have seen the Lindt 85% in Canada. Surely it would be easier to just plan a trip up north and raid a Shoppers Drug Mart for their Lindt bars?
                              Indeed, I have purchase loads of Lindt 85 from local shops. In past years was my cheap chocolate staple. The Lindt 85% in North America (and even in mainland Europe) is a different recipe than the 85% bar Lindt sells in the UK. At least that was the case several years ago. SeventyPercent (based in the UK) describes the two different bars in reviews from 2007. I wrote and honest-to-goodness physical letter to Lindt in 2008 asking about it and hoping they could help me obtain a bar. They did not reply to my letter.

I am, however, planning to visit the UK and mainland Europe after I graduate--hopefully about three years from now. I'm going to scoop up all the delightful chocolates I've read about but can't acquire. My dreams are simple. Almost all involve chocolate.

I should also acknowledge The Big L's observation (with regard to my changing estimations of the merits of Hachez 88) that it's likely that my taste buds have become desensitized to the intensity of cacao.

You're right Big L. I confess it, own it, am. But it's okay

Comment

Originally posted by liss View Post
                                I am, however, planning to visit the UK and mainland Europe after I graduate--hopefully about three years from now. I'm going to scoop up all the delightful chocolates I've read about but can't acquire. My dreams are simple. Almost all involve chocolate.
                                When you go, I highly suggest you seek out the Monoprix (France) brand white chocolate bar with toasted coconut, if you like white chocolate. It's sweet but it's divine - it's got so much coconut in it that it's not hard like a typical bar; instead it's all chewy and tender and crazy addictive. You have been warned.

Comment

Working...
                                X