eyesight, vision whatever.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eyesight, vision whatever.

Im not sure where I should be posting this but basically what is your opinion on eyesight?

It seems a large portion of the population are wearing glasses and many others who need to.
    Why do you think this is?

I asked him why so many asian people wear glasses, he tells me in Japan (in his case) getting your eyes checked is a regular thing, much like going to the dentist or something and so weak eyesight is picked up easily.

In my case I wore glasses since I was 5 and when I hit my teens I was told I didn't need them anymore and that my eyes were developing to be stronger naturally. I have slight astigmatism and an out of shape cornea on my eyes, or one of my eyes, I cant remember.
    Now at the age of 16 I need glasses again, if I want to read small writing a few feet infront of me I have to squint otherwise it's blurry and god help me if im trying to read something 20 feet away.

Im wanting to try eye exercises to improve my vision, has anyone had any success in this?

cheers
    Lockie

No matter what, do not force your eyes to 'see' something. It is the stress of forcing eyes to do something that they can't do that causes the muscles about the eyeball to get out of balance and change the shape of the eye. That is what causes a loss of focus. Using glasses or any other lens also perpetuates and exacerbates the problem. No one needs progressively weaker glasses. It is always the other way.

Look up the Bates method of vision improvement. Read the good and the bad---there will be a lot of bad. I feel confident to say that the bad was due to people wanting to protect incomes, not "fix" eyes. Read all the references and decide.
    Tayatha om bekandze

Bekandze maha bekandze

Randza samu gate soha

Comment

Oh boy, here we go...

As a soon-to-be-graduating optometry student I'll have a lot to say on this when I have more time.

Comment

dromos, that reply was totally worthless. Tell us now

Comment

Eye exercises will not improve your vision, assuming you're trying to correct the blur resulting from near or farsightedness and astigmatism. The only way to correct these is with glasses, contact lenses or refractive surgery like LASIK. Eye coordination problems(divergence and convergence insufficiency, accommodative insufficiency and infacility) can easily be treated with orthoptics or vision therapy assuming the proper corrective lenses are in place to provide a clear image on the retina.

Comment

Originally posted by dromos View Post
            Eye exercises will not improve your vision, assuming you're trying to correct the blur resulting from near or farsightedness and astigmatism. The only way to correct these is with glasses, contact lenses or refractive surgery like LASIK. Eye coordination problems(divergence and convergence insufficiency, accommodative insufficiency and infacility) can easily be treated with orthoptics or vision therapy assuming the proper corrective lenses are in place to provide a clear image on the retina.
            But back to the OP's original question....WHY does such a huge proportion of the population need glasses? What would a short-sighted Grok have done?
            Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
            Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Comment

Originally posted by periquin View Post
              ...I feel confident to say that the bad was due to people wanting to protect incomes, not "fix" eyes.
              As a soon-to-be-graduating optometry student I'll have a lot to say on this when I have more time.

Hmmm

Comment

grok didn't have to read tiny print....or read at all for that matter
                http://kitoikitchen.blogspot.com/

Comment

Some theorize that it's a multifactoral issue involving vitamin d deficiency during the fetal period that results in suboptimal skull/eye socket shape...that in combination with continued D deficiency, lack of opportunities for our eyes to be used in a biologically appropriate manner over time...

It's not something I've really looked into but I do think there is definitely something going on wrt fetal development, nutrition and use.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

Oh boy, here we go...

I was intrigued to see your previous post about coconut butter. You were lucky no cardiovascular equivalent of you responded with "As a soon-to-be-graduating cardiovascular surgeon, I'll have a lot to say on this...."

Much of what you are (presumably?) embracing in Primal goes counter to conventional wisdom. Conventional wisdom is taught in school. I'm not saying all schooling is wrong, but it seems odd to come here waving a conventional-wisdom-education to a crowd of skeptics, as if that will make everyone take that as gospel. Not saying you're wrong, just curious about your approach here.
                    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
                    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Comment

Eye exercises will not improve your vision
                      You know, physicians and dietitians are taught that saturated fat is bad. A buddy of mine does eye exercises and his vision is improving.

Originally posted by LockieKermit View Post
                      I asked him why so many asian people wear glasses, he tells me in Japan (in his case) getting your eyes checked is a regular thing, much like going to the dentist or something and so weak eyesight is picked up easily.
                      The more doctors look for problems, the more they find. The more problems they find, the more cures they can sell. As periquin said, it's mostly about income.
                      You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

Speaking for myself, about 4 weeks in to PB my vision started to improve. 8 weeks in now and I no longer need my +1.5 reading glasses for the paper and haven't used the glasses for driving that I used to need. It's not reverted back to the way it was 8 or so years ago but my vision is much improved and thatt's a truly wonderful benefit of PB. I'm not sure which dietary element has done this for me but it's great not to have to make sure I have the reading glasses to hand.

Comment

I apologize if my response was abrasive. I did not intend for it to be, though I certainly see how it could be interpreted as such since I am new to the forum. I was just trying to give some credibility to my statement; asking for medical advice on the internet is a risky proposition since anyone can respond, and people often do with anecdotal evidence to support their claims. My point that near/farsightedness and astigmatism can only be corrected with lenses or refractive surgery is based on the laws of physics and the optics of the human eye, which cannot be manipulated with eye exercises. However, what causes the eye to grow too large (myopia/nearsightedness) or not enough (hyperopia/farsightedness) is still largely a mystery, though there are countless theories and thoughts on the matter; nutritional deficiencies and countless environmental factors have been postulated, though little have provided much insight.

Comment

Grumpy Caveman: Are these exercises the same as on this page here?
                            http://www.eye-exercises-for-good-vi...exercises.html

Comment

OK, here's my anecdotal evidence in response to this.

I first needed glasses for myopia at age 4 or 5; went through the expected process of prescriptions getting steadily stronger, eyes getting steadily weaker until I was in my mid-20s and got a bit fed up with it all. I took my glasses off (first time I'd felt fresh air on my eyelids in a decade or so - very weird) and started doing Bates-type exercises. When I went to the optician, I asked for a pair of half-strength glasses. The optician politely obliged, but explained that I certainly wouldn't pass the vision test for driving in these.

A month or so later, I could pass that test (read a registration plate at the required distance) with no glasses at all. Tests with the eye chart at home also revealed a pretty substantial improvement.

Sadly, after that it all goes downhill. I started a business, started spending my days in front of the computer and stopped doing the exercises, and the myopia's progressed. I think the downhill rush has stopped since going Primal (might have something to do with a disinclination to spend all day, every day staring at the screen), but it's still pretty bad. But I'm confident that if I start palming, sunning, zooming and tracing again, I can improve matters.

One primal benefit - better night vision. Still not great (poor night vision and myopia go hand in hand, I think), and dark adaptation in one eye is a bit rubbish since it was hit with a tennis ball a few years ago (serious breach of rule 9), but not as ridiculously bad.

Comment

Working...
                              X