Poison Ivy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poison Ivy

...as smart as our anscestors were at identifying plants, it is a WONDER that we survived with something as hellish as poison ivy around. I got it last Tuesday, it showed up Friday, and it has made NASTY progression since. I'm at a loss. It is nearing my face and I have a big thing coming up on Monday where my face will be definately in the limelight. It is all over my arm and it has made it to my chin, my neck, and now my opposite hand. I'm not scratching-- I'm washing with Ivy Soap, then dabbing with alcohol, then spraying with Ivy-Dry and dabbing with calamine. I'm taking rhus toxicodendron and I'm about to start in on the Benedryl. I'm usually VERY homeopathic, I don't ever take medication or use chemical creams, but I'm getting DESPERATE...

What are your experiences? Can you imagine foraging through uncharted territory into a patch of this stuff???

I was all set to break down and get a shot for this stuff but I don't have insurance. Ugh.
    Little Saiyan

If it's that bad, you may need a brief course of oral steroids (prednisone). My hubby got it that bad one year when assisting one of the kids to hunt for frogs. The kid was fine, but he needed the steroids for a few days, due to nasty, weeping rash. You may need to bite the bullet and take a trip to a clinic for this one.
    My musings

The old stuff

Comment

Yikes! Fortunately, I have never reacted to it. I'm no dare-devil and won't grab it or anything, but the few times I have come in contact with it......nothing.
      Started my journey on May 22, 2010:

Beginning weight ~180
      Current weight ~145

Nov. 9, 2009........Nov. 9, 2010.....Jun. 17, 2011
      LDL 155...............LDL 176............LDL 139
      HDL 39................HDL 66..............HDL 95
      TGL 154..............TGL 77..............TGL 49

Comment

Two things to try
        1. Tecnu, you scrub it like soap and it neutralizes it, goglle to find a pharmacy that carries it
        2. Coat it wit antiperspirant. Helpful before it gets full- blown. I like Ban roll on.

Comment

I avoid antiperspirant containing aluminum, and I think the aluminum is what does it!

Tecnu looks promising. Greensprout-- how much do those cost? I'm trying to find my way to steroids that I can afford. That'd be way easier than a shot for sure...

kcult-- the 'daredevil' part was what got me into this mess. I was hiking at a park and there was a river down below a cliffy structure, and I suddenly thought 'hey, that'd be fun to go down.' So I did. And it was fun. Then.. on the climb back up, a root I had grabbed broke and my arm scraped a nearby plant. Guess what plant it was? :P
          Little Saiyan

Comment

My understanding is that it takes a couple weeks to get out of your system. Normally.

Once in Boy Scouts, back in the fifties, when we were at a Camporee, the Scoutmasters ignorantly burned a bunch of poison ivy in the campfire at night. The poison was transmitted by smoke and most of the kids had poison ivy all over their faces, inside noses, eyes swollen shut by next day. A lot of school was missed that week. I didn't miss school, but had it bad on my face, the worst case I ever had of it. Seems like as a kid I always had poison ivy in summer, often between my toes. I believe the poison is still potent in winter, when the leaves are gone, through the vines themselves.

My wife got it this summer on her face; she swelled up so badly that she was nearly unrecognizable.

Comment

Originally posted by ikaika View Post
              Greensprout-- how much do those cost? I'm trying to find my way to steroids that I can afford. That'd be way easier than a shot for sure... :P
              Sorry, can't give you an accurate number, the Canadian medical system is different, plus me and hubby are military so get our stuff covered. I'd guess for a 5 day course of tapering dosage, maybe $30-40? Someone from the US might have more to add here.

Regardless, if you can swing it, the steroids will work at decreasing the swelling and itching. Worth it, if you are able.
              My musings

The old stuff

Comment

I've not tried this, but the jewelweed plant is supposed to be a natural remedy. (Studies show it is often more effective than modern medicines.) You can probably find jewelweed tincture in health stores, or growing outside still depending on where you live. Good luck!

Comment

I've always like Robb Wolf's illustration about poison ivy and the inflammation involved, and how that compares to what is happening inside your body when you eat grains.
                  For lots of tasty recipes, check out my blog -http://lifeasadreger.wordpress.com/

Comment

Have a female friend who squatted on one to take a leak. No good.

Comment

Originally posted by Adrianag View Post
                      Two things to try
                      1. Tecnu, you scrub it like soap and it neutralizes it, goglle to find a pharmacy that carries it
                      Tecnu!! My boyfriend is HIGHLY allergic to Poison Ivy (me, not so much). Tecnu is the only thing that works. For him, calamine and alcohol will only make it worse. They dry out the skin instead of acting on the Urushiol that's causing the problem.

Good Luck!!!
                      "So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
                      And we never even know we have the key."
                      ~The Eagles, "Already Gone"

Comment

I have no experience with poison ivy, ever, but if steroids help-

Why not hydrocortisone cream?
                        Chief cook & bottle washer for one kid, a dog, 6 hens, 2 surprise! roosters, two horses, and a random 'herd' of quail.

~The ultimate ignorance is the rejection of something one knows nothing about and refuses to investigate~

Comment

The hydrocortisone cream didn't do anything

This morning when I woke up, it had spread further on my chin and neck, my hands, and my arms, and then finally began to appear on my stomach, forehead, temples, and eyebrow.

I broke down and went to a doctor and got a big SHOT and a prescription for oral steroids to be taken during the next few weeks. :C
                          I'm applying manuka honey (my standby skin-healer) and gauze to the infected sites.
                          Little Saiyan

Comment

Originally posted by ikaika View Post
                            The hydrocortisone cream didn't do anything

This morning when I woke up, it had spread further on my chin and neck, my hands, and my arms, and then finally began to appear on my stomach, forehead, temples, and eyebrow.

I broke down and went to a doctor and got a big SHOT and a prescription for oral steroids to be taken during the next few weeks. :C
                            I'm applying manuka honey (my standby skin-healer) and gauze to the infected sites.
                            Hydrocortisone doesn't usually touch mild poison ivy, much less a case like this. You did the right thing. Only steroids will work when it gets this extreme. Tecnu will still help to speed up the healing. You might find you need to apply it 2 or 3 times.

Comment

You can't do much better than the steroid injection. If you want some relief from the itching to allow you to sleep at night, my advise is to take a hot shower before bed. Turn the water up as hot as you can stand it. This will cause the histamines in your body to be released. If you stay in long enough you will temporarily deplete much of the body's supply until it can manufacture more. Now the itching sensation will become VERY intense while in the shower (You'll go cross-eyed for sure), but stay under the hot water as long as you can until the sensation subsides. It'll take take hours for your body to develop more, so you will be able to sleep at least.

Now, to prevent another exposure remember the rule I learned as a Scout. "Leaves of three, let it be."

Comment

Working...
                              X