Primal penny pinching!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ZoŽ View Post
    PERFECT!!!! Haha. Seriously, that's exactly everything we need. Let's do it!
    Swap the fridge for a freezer

Comment

Attention! The ultimate frugalista, Money Saving Mom, has a give-away contest for some free grass-fed beef from the sister site to Tropical Traditions.

www.moneysavingmom.com

BTW, I won a big box of beauty and skin care products from Tropical Traditions earlier, and the stuff is great.
      "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

I've got to stop buying chicken from BJs. I picked some thighs and breasts up yesterday for around $2.20/lb.
        Then I remembered that at my public market I can get a 10lb sack of chicken breasts for $10. Dang.
        carl's cave

Comment

Tropical Traditions is giving away a FREE coconut oil cookbook (normally priced at $25). Shipping is free. I just signed up.

This was advertised through Money Saving Mom:
          http://moneysavingmom.com/2010/11/fr....html#comments
          "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

Wierdness on how this thread got bumped up, but yay for it being bumped up!

My house goes down to 15C (59F) through the day and through the night. I use a programmable thermostat, which turns the furnace on at 6:30am, and it goes off again by 8am. It comes on again around 4:30pm, just before I get home from work, and goes off again at 10pm - bed time! I sleep better with the cold room, and the house getting warm is one more cue that its time to get up. Warm is 20C (68F)

I buy meat in as large an amount as possible, often by the side (beef, lamb and pork). I buy whole chickens when they are on sale, and cut them up myself. I do the same with fresh turkeys.

I work for fair trade - I'll muck stalls for riding lessons, do dog shows and performances for dog food etc. I buy fresh eggs from my friends son for half the price in stores. I buy produce from road side stands when its in season. Pick your own berries are awesome.

Tons of great ideas on this thread for sure! Even if it did get bumped in an odd way.
            Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

Comment

We're book and movie fiends in my household, and we use our local libary. As long as we don't forget to return something, it's free! And we have a big enough library system that it generally doesn't take too long to get even new releases.

We use coupons whenever possible and I try to cook with what's on-sale in the meat dept. I have a patio garden in the summer, and I raid my mom's big-a$$ garden. She grows way more than she needs and is always telling us to "help ourselves."

This spring, I think I'm going to buy a quarter of a local, grass-fed cow.

Comment

I have a freezer full of meat & frozen veg that I bought on sale
                we have netflix instead of cable
                we are trying to eat out less
                strict budgeting so we can eat well & save
                started doing laundry in the apt laundry room instead of fluff & fold
                baking soda & white vinegar are our cleaning suppplies
                we plan on purchasing 1/4 of several animals to save on quality meat
                we dont use the heat/ac & just put a sweater on or sit in front of the fan
                DH drives me the 5miles to work (I get off at 10pm & its nto safe to bike) so we save 250/mo on parking

Comment

I seek out the interesting ethnic markets in immigrant neighborhoods where people are not going to put up with inflated prices. The best way to make chicken stock is with chicken feet. Dirt cheap at my local Vietnamese place. They also sell beef stock bones for 89cents for a huge bag.

There is a small grocery store catering to the middle eastern and African immigrant community which sells goat meat. Makes a yummy cheap stew.

I just got a dehydrator and I'm really liking it. It's really cheap to make better quality jerky than you could ever get in a store. Plus things like dried fruits without any added sugar being sneaked in.

Comment

I am always aspiring to be more frugal as we are both full time students with two groklings! I love all of the great ideas!

We re-purpose our leftovers. Leftovers turn into new and exciting meals. It's like a challenge between hubby and I, we are both foodies, so it's fun!
                    Bone broth!
                    U pick farms! I froze a ton of fresh berries and sliced fruits this summer. We've been enjoying them all winter.
                    I have never bought clothes for my boys. I have always been able to get (really nice) cast offs, and in return "paid it forward" by keeping the clothes in circulation with other moms in need.
                    Thrift stores for my clothes, and we do clothing swaps where all of the ladies in our group bring our cast offs and pick through for what fits, what we like. Really fun way to spend a "girls night" without having to go out and spend money too!!!
                    Fishing! We love to fish, with the added bonus of a yummy dinner thrown in! (It's even better if we get to cook them over a camp fire!)
                    We are so lucky to live in the mountains, where outdoor recreation is simple. Walk out the door, and play. Hike, swim, fish, ski, snowboard... can't wait till the groklings are a little bigger.

I'm also learning the art of the dump run. In my part of the world, dumps have a shack, where people can put items they think others could use but they don't want any more. I've grabbed the beautiful bunkbeds my groklings now sleep in (I only had to buy mattresses!) an office chair, book shelves, a really nice lamp, magazines, a coffee table... It's so much fun!
                    The more I see the less I know for sure.
                    -John Lennon

Comment

Live beneath your means, pay yourself first and everything else takes care of itself. No debt, an old car (in mechanically perfect condition), no landline, no cable (internet from the landlord), utilities only run about $30 to $50/month depending on whether I'm heating. PB upped the grocery bill for sure but not eating out at all makes up for it.

I have never really spent money on furniture. My clothes aren't fit for rags when I'm done w/ them (although PB is sending some decent stuff to the Goodwill). Until depression 2.0 my friends always gave me grief, funny how I don't get that anymore. Money in the bank is a powerful sleep aid.
                      Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

Comment

just found these coupon on WF's site. http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/coup...back=/coupons/

thought i'd share, who would have thought whole foods has coupons!

Comment

The biggest lesson I learned this week was to shop the flyers! I love Whole Foods, don't get me wrong. I've shopped their exclusively since going Primal and off and on before that depending on what I was looking for, but sometimes you just can't argue with price. I have a Kroger, Publix, and Harris Teeter all within 5 miles of my house and I just happened to step into Harris Teeter on my way home for some tin foil and I couldn't believe the specials! I talked with the guy behind the meat counter for awhile and he suggested I start looking through the flyers for what is on sale. I bought a Boston Butt at Whole Foods the day before for pretty close to $5/lb, and HT had them on for $1.49/lb! I can't totally be sure of what is in it, but I like saving that money! The huge stand up freezer is a little less empty now.

Comment

I try to remind myself all the time that a dollar is a dollar is a dollar. I was making some eggs this evening, and was thinking wow, these are the "expensive" eggs, until I realized that an entire meal, heck the entire dozen, was significantly less than running through Tim Horton's for a bagel and coffee. Its so easy to look at a roast in the store and think "$20!! Thats way too expensive" even though it will last a few meals, and yet think nothing of dropping that much on fewer fast food meals.
                            Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

Comment

Originally posted by Rivvin View Post
                              Oh my god, thanks for posting about You Need a Budget, primalpatty.

I am seriously considering leaving Mint.com and switching to this. This thing is fantastic.
                              Does this run on a mac? And if not - is there a similar programme which does?

Comment

NO need to answer my last post - I've just checked the site and it "runs on everything - Windows, Mac, Linux". So - free trial then probably purchase. Thanks for the name!

Comment

Working...
                                X