"White coat syndrome"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "White coat syndrome"

Since embracing primality (?) in May all aspects of my overall health have improved except my Blood Pressure.

Diastolic reading is always in the 70/80 range --- no problemo but the systolic reading varies between 130/160.These are always monitored at my Docs surgery,hence the title,is this the jacking up of the systolic marker by so called WCS ?This ,quite frankly,drives me bats.Whenever i go to have it taken i get flustered starting the night before,possibly spiking up the systolic reading.

I am considering purchasing a monitor to take readings at home but would love to be able to relax at GP's surgery.

Any thoughts people?
    sigpic

Definitely buy a monitor--they're not that expensive. If it is white coat syndrome, you may go along way to fixing it if you are reassured that your readings are OK at home. Just make sure to use the right size cuff and take it according to the rules...things like where your arm is relative to your heart makes a difference. I have a meter at home because I've flirted with borderline blood pressures, and it's been a very useful tool for helping me figure out what spikes it and what doesn't.

Your doctor may also be less likely to push meds if you can assure him that all readings at home are normal.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Comment

You should be able to purchase a home monitor that records previous readings too, so you can bring it with you to show the doctor that it is in a better range at home than in their office.
      Meghan

My MDA journal

Primal Ponderings- my blog- finally added some food pron :P

And best of all my Body Fat Makeover!!

Comment

Originally posted by NutMeg View Post
        You should be able to purchase a home monitor that records previous readings too, so you can bring it with you to show the doctor that it is in a better range at home than in their office.
        Agreed. I have WCS: measuring my BP at home and reporting this to the doc went a long way to assuring both of us.
        Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

Comment

Oh i always read a high BP reading when i first arrive at the doc's office. by the time im done with my appointment she will re-read me and ill be sitting normal. i should add that she knows i have some anxiety problems too and just expects it now.
          "The first wealth is health."
          - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Thanks guys,appreciate the comments/advice.I shall get myself a monitor pronto.I actually had BP checked during my annual diabetic revue 2 weeks back and the nurse taking it spoke throughout and even interrupted the check to take a call.
            sigpic

Comment

my last dr visit my BP was 150/98 and home is low/normal range, so yeah i am deep into the white coat syndrome. when visits are unavoidable, please do calming exercises and control your breathing, it helps
              beautiful
              yeah you are

Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
              lol

Comment

My doctor likes me to sit and chat with him for five minutes or more, so I'll be relaxed before he takes it. This way he avoids having the reading spike due to nerves, moving around, etc. He said it's important to be still for at least five minutes before having it read.

Comment

Originally posted by megalodon View Post
                  Thanks guys,appreciate the comments/advice.I shall get myself a monitor pronto.I actually had BP checked during my annual diabetic revue 2 weeks back and the nurse taking it spoke throughout and even interrupted the check to take a call.
                  Yeah, that's definitely not accurate.

Comment

My BP measured at work has been between 116/68 and 130/80. Today, just as I was preparing for periodontal surgery, it was 145/97. When I asked my doc if that was accurate because that was the highest I had ever seen, he asked me where I was. I said, in a chair about to have my gums lacerated with a laser. He said, "Exactly."
                    Started my journey on May 22, 2010:

Beginning weight ~180
                    Current weight ~145

Nov. 9, 2009........Nov. 9, 2010.....Jun. 17, 2011
                    LDL 155...............LDL 176............LDL 139
                    HDL 39................HDL 66..............HDL 95
                    TGL 154..............TGL 77..............TGL 49

Comment

Originally posted by kcult View Post
                      My BP measured at work has been between 116/68 and 130/80. Today, just as I was preparing for periodontal surgery, it was 145/97. When I asked my doc if that was accurate because that was the highest I had ever seen, he asked me where I was. I said, in a chair about to have my gums lacerated with a laser. He said, "Exactly."
                      Had the same experience today. Went in for a routine teeth cleaning and checkup and my BP was 144/85. 30min later, it was 115/75.
                      Get a BP monitor and bring it with you to your next doctors visit to see if it's calibrated. My cheap arm band version was way low but my nicer wrist version was spot on.
                      During breakfast today, Abby asks, "How would this juicy, fat, sweet blackberry taste on top of my bacon?" I said it would taste BerrySwine...;-P

Comment

Sounds like WCS. If you doctor starts wanting to push medications ask if you can have an ambulatory BP test done. For 24 hours you wear a box on your waist hooked to a BP cuff which takes your BP in intervals during the day (set by the doctor). They can trend your BP over a 24 hours period and possibly rule out hypertension. My 86 year old mom had this done when they were talking about giving her BP meds and the study showed that her BP was fine and medications not needed.

Here is a bit of information about them:

http://familydoctor.org/online/famdo...tment/770.html
                        Randal
                        AKA: Texas Grok

Originally posted by texas.grok
                        Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
                        http://hardcoremind.com/

Comment

Thanks for so much info guys.Seems like WCS is a strong possibility.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MoBob View Post
                            Had the same experience today. Went in for a routine teeth cleaning and checkup and my BP was 144/85. 30min later, it was 115/75.
                            Get a BP monitor and bring it with you to your next doctors visit to see if it's calibrated. My cheap arm band version was way low but my nicer wrist version was spot on.
                            But make sure they're not talking on the phone and starting and stopping and repeating! So not cool.

Comment

Working...
                            X