How to respond to this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to respond to this?

From another forum I belong to, this is a response a woman got who asked what to do because she feels hungry all the time...

"If you eat pretty well, try filling up more on fibrous things like oatmeal, cruciferous vegetables, bran cereals. It could be that maybe you are just not eating enough bulk!"

Drives me %^&ing crazy!

Ignore it?
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Latest Journal

Comment

Maybe you could send her a private message. Tell her that its the grains in her diet that are making her hungry and give her the link to this website. Short and sweet and she can either listen or ignore.

Comment

Tina's advice is probably going to keep you more sane. Otherwise, be prepared to spend the next few days fending off the hordes of shocked forum members when you suggest grains are bad and meat/veggies are good.
        Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Comment

Seconded -- sending it as a PM lets you avoid feeling obliged to counter endless arguments you'd probably gather in the main thread.

I'd give her a direct link to the PB 101 section as well as the main site. When I got here I didn't even realize where to find all the basic intro information, really... and when you click "About primal blueprint" it just goes to the book's promotional text.
          "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Comment

At the very least you could openly suggest eating more veggies. You can absolutely *stuff* yourself on most veggies and not have made a dent in a day's cal count, generally speaking. Eat 3 entire bags of frozen broccoli, a bag of celery, and a head of lettuce - what's that add up to, 100 cals? No normal human being will be "hungry all the time" if they do that. They might not look forward to the veggies, but they won't be hungry...

Comment

Originally posted by blank_faceplate View Post
              At the very least you could openly suggest eating more veggies. You can absolutely *stuff* yourself on most veggies and not have made a dent in a day's cal count, generally speaking. Eat 3 entire bags of frozen broccoli, a bag of celery, and a head of lettuce - what's that add up to, 100 cals? No normal human being will be "hungry all the time" if they do that. They might not look forward to the veggies, but they won't be hungry...
              ...except that hunger and satiety aren't just driven by the fullness of the stomach.
              Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Comment

Fat.

Comment

Originally posted by kennelmom View Post
                  ...except that hunger and satiety aren't just driven by the fullness of the stomach.
                  This - if I stuff myself on plain veggies, I feel stuffed...and hungry, and I keep searching for things to eat. It takes fat and protein to actually satisfy hunger.
                  Sassy: Revised - my primal log

Comment

OK. *I* wouldn't be hungry after feasting on veggies, and *I* am certainly able to eat roasted salted nuts until the can is gone, but I realize everyone is different. God bless the person still hungry after stuffing all the veg I listed.

Comment

I wouldn't be physically ABLE to eat all the veggies listed there, but even after eating all that I could, I wouldn't be satisfied.
                      Sassy: Revised - my primal log

Comment

I think the issue is physical fullness versus actual satiety.
                        “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

So, serious question, is this possibly a girl thing? What people describe as "hungry all the time" I tend to think of as boredom snacking or emotional eating if they're actually eating a good amount of food daily. Either way, do people actually think that suggesting "eat some veggies" instead of "eat a bran bar and a bowl of bran flakes" is a bad suggestion?

Comment

No, eating veg is definitely a good substitute for those things. But eating veg in the absence of sufficient protein and fat is pretty much setting someone up for a crash.

If the body is not getting what it needs (in terms of fat and protein), then a person may not feel satisfied even when full. Even if that person is eating lots of vegetables and feeling stuffed, if they're not meeting their needs, they're going to experience cravings. Hunger isn't just related to the physical fullness of the stomach. This isn't about emotional eating; it's about the biochemical processes that signal hunger.
                            “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

plain veg are good for munchies. But I used to experience being hungry all the time... when most of my calories came from carbs. I could eat rice until my stomach exploded, and still feel hungry. Same with pasta. Even if my stomach was painfully full, I would feel the need to eat something. Yuck! Eating fat makes all the difference; when I'm full now, I'm FULL.

Comment

Working...
                              X