Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More ridiculous crap

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-11161525

Look at the woman in the picture. I think that says it all.
    A steak a day keeps the doctor away

Comment

Originally posted by Bushrat View Post
      Wow.
      I'll stick with my meat, Thank you, very much

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8pfPJbt4j0

Comment

"they were very fit and active" Need I say more??

But I will, the kids today spend too much time indoors and not enough time playing, so how on earth are they going to burn off the "healthy mixed grains"? etc.
          Cheers
          Carlye

WWGD - What Would Grok Do?

Comment

Originally posted by GrokGoddess View Post
            "they were very fit and active" Need I say more??

But I will, the kids today spend too much time indoors and not enough time playing, so how on earth are they going to burn off the "healthy mixed grains"? etc.
            Problem too is that we have (at least in the USA) constructed a world not kid-friendly, kids can't play anywhere but the stupid playgrounds.
            I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

Comment

Originally posted by iniQuity View Post
              Problem too is that we have (at least in the USA) constructed a world not kid-friendly, kids can't play anywhere but the stupid playgrounds.
              I think that's partly because so many are not taught any decent behavior anymore. Parents want to sit and seriously ignore what their kids are doing, and the park is the only place they can do that! Play is one thing, but so many kids are just little terrors to be around. It's sad because it's not their fault.
              Last edited by avocado; 09-22-2010, 07:22 AM.

Comment

And it is a lot harder to raise kids when there aren't two parents around as well. My last gf's daughter is very hard to be around, but then she has no real father figure and it shows.
                http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

"Interestingly it was the peasant class, whose diet would class today as healthy," she said."The poorer you were, the higher chances you ate more vegetables and had more mixed grains in your diet."

As a medievalist, I feel obliged to point out that the peasant classes were well-known for being disease-ridden and dying. Young.

Comment

Originally posted by Daemonized View Post
                    And it is a lot harder to raise kids when there aren't two parents around as well. My last gf's daughter is very hard to be around, but then she has no real father figure and it shows.

Some parents mollycoddle their brats too much, too. I was in the local supermarket a few months ago, and I saw a woman pushing round an empty buggy (pushchair/pram/whatever-you-call it). There was a little girl of about 5 or 6 running amok in the store (kept putting kiddie crap in her mum's trolley) but no sign of a toddler. This brat was wearing the uniform of the local prep, so she was obviously school-age). Mum goes to cash up, no toddler in sight. I'm just behind her in the queue. She pays, and leaves; I don't have much to pay for, so I leave the store just behind her, in time to hear her say "Now into the buggy, Lily, sweetheart, we have to cross this very busy road..." followed by "Do you want your suck-suck, darling...?" So now we have a 5 or 6 year old, in a buggy, with a dummy (pacifier)!

A thought then struck me (and those in the UK'll know what I mean when I say 'Titty Time!' - you've all seen Little Britain!)

I stood there, jaw on ground, for about 5 minutes after they'd crossed!

FACEPALM!! Big Time!
                    La tristesse durera toujours...

Comment

Originally posted by Bushrat View Post
                      +1 Yeah, like she's some kind of expert on diet and nutrition. Looks like she's tried them all - at the same time.

Comment

I have struggled to get a handle on what medieval people ate. So much of what I have read falls into the error of "they probably . . . ." (We often fall into that error in this forum - "Grok probably . . . .") We have this image of medieval nobility stuffing their faces with big hunks of meat and throwing the bones to their dogs while their peasants starved. My understanding is that nearly all medieval people literally believed that when they got to the pearly gates, St Peter would have a complete record of every time they were gluttonous and every time they gave to the poor.

Perhaps gfprof can give us some factual information about medieval eating.

The information in the BBC story about meat is wrong IMHO, but it does sound like the medieval lifestyle was healthier than ours for those who could afford a reasonable amount of protein, which for the poor might tend to be cheese. Naturally, they ate every part of animals. My understanding is that they ate lots of butter.
                        Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Comment

Hilarious
                          MDA PRIMAL LIBERTARIAN GROUP

Comment

I got this off the wiki page:

"Another common sight at the medieval dinner table was the frumenty, a thick wheat porridge often boiled in a meat broth and seasoned with spices."

Ewwww!

Comment

Perhaps gfprof can give us some factual information about medieval eating.
                              Interestingly, Hedonist, fasting and austerity were often considered as bad as gluttony, sort of like showing off for God. The 'ideal' was moderation, though most people didn't follow it. In any case, I could go on forever about what they actually ate. Most of our ideas about it (big hunks of meat and so forth) are completely wrong, which explains their poor health. The nobility ate 'white' bread (flour milled over and over again) and tons of sugar. Peasants ate bread made out of coarser grains and beans and had very little else for sustenance. Fresh vegetables were rare, excepting root vegetables and other winter stock. Everyone was fond of cakes, pies, meat pies, tarts, and pastries. As for meat, it's true that the wealthier you were, the more you had, but the nobility did go in for very fancy recipes and spectacle. Something like a turducken would have been very popular! But the meat would likely have a pastry crust or a sweet sauce. Also, because of religious restrictions, there were certain hours of the day you weren't supposed to eat (their big feasts were at lunchtime) and huge chunks of the year you could only eat fish. The best book I've ever read on the subject is by Bridget Henisch, _Fast and Feast in Medieval Society_.

In short, medieval people were neither primal *nor* healthy, at least in terms of Western Europe. But yes, they did eat a lot of butter!

Oh, and I should also qualify by saying I'm talking about the 'high' and late Middle Ages (the days of castles and kings) and not the early Middle Ages, pre-1000. I don't have the requisite info about the earlier period. And now, I should go back to work

Comment

Working...
                              X