Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a secret!!

A PRIMAL SECRET!

Just had a moment at work I thought would be fun to share.

We recently got some free bloodwork done at work - full analysis of everything. I was extremely happy with my results - perfect scores all around, especially happy after experimenting with a 95% carnivorous diet. I was talking about this with a co-worker, who has always been skeptical of my choices.

Her response to my perfect scores?

'Well, of course you do, every young person (I'm 24) gets that. You wait until you are my age (shes late 30s), and your cholesterol skyrockets, and your silly barefoot experiment fails and your arches fall... etc"

The whole time I couldn't help but grin at her. People just don't get it! They assume that growing old just comes with these preset conditions, and since everyone else gets it, that's just the way it is. So frustrating!

Yet so relieving to know that I will not fall prey to such silly assumptions.

Score one for the Primal Life!
    - If it was cute and cuddly at some point, eat it. Ignore everything else. -

- Food is first, and foremost, nothing more than fuel. -

- The body is animal. The mind, however, is not. -

Well I am late 30s and my cholesterol hasn't skyrocketed - due to my primal ways for the last year and half???

Comment

Exactly, people really resist giving you credit for your good choices, because they don't want to admit they're good choices.

I am sure when I finally lose weight after I have my baby and get really going with a primal life, people will say "Oh well you're breastfeeding, that makes you lose weight!" or "Well you're running after a toddler!"... except that last time I didn't lose any weight. Funny thing, that.

Similarly, all the people in the forum who are preventing health issues as opposed to fixing preexisting issues... none of them will get recognition for their challenging achievement either.

It's not really about credit though... to me the real issue is that we end up unable to use ourselves as proof to help people make similar choices.

At least we get to enjoy our own health.
      "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Comment

Originally posted by Jenny View Post
        Exactly, people really resist giving you credit for your good choices, because they don't want to admit they're good choices.
        More to the point, they don't want to admit that they are making BAD choices.
        Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Comment

One of my many goals is to be an example for my family. Evereyone (5 sisters and my mom) knows how I've been eating. So, my plan is to show up at Christmas and wow them. I gave the book to my Mom at my birthday last month. If she's read it, maybe she can understand what she'll see.
          My goal is to be 35 pounds lighter than I was at Christmas last year, and stronger. So, leaner, stronger and fitter.
          I hope it knocks their socks off.

Comment

Domo arigato, Mr, Roboto
            Domo, Domo
            http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

Originally posted by Griff View Post
              More to the point, they don't want to admit that they are making BAD choices.
              Exactly!
              "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Comment

Glad im not the only one dealing with 30somethings calling themselves "old". wtf...
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MeatMe216 View Post
                  Glad im not the only one dealing with 30somethings calling themselves "old". wtf...
                  Wow. I am going to turn this into a pretty fantastic comeback next time I get into it with her.

Comment

exactly..flipping cheek. 80 is old!
                    Scottish Sarah

Join our UK/ROI Primal group here! http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...php?groupid=67

Give me a poke on facebook http://www.facebook.com/#!/pistepals
                    **Remember to tell me your forum name so I know who you are!**

Comment

I blame our weird cult of youth. We're all encouraged to cling to our 20s (or even teens), so those of us who are older than that are told we're just too ancient to be cool. Personally, at (10 days shy of) 33 years old, I still feel very young. However, the hairdresser found some greys a couple of weeks ago and tried to sell me on colouring them away--no thanks, I earned those and plan to keep them. I'm happy with the life stage I'm at!

We've lost our value of our elders--the people who used to be the most respected members of society and the repositories of our accumulated cultural knowledge are now relegated to a sort of seniors' ghetto. One of the bits of information about the Okinawans and other long lived cultures that gets left out of the analysis is the way they treat their elders as valued and central figures in the community. We get so focused on diet and forget that there are other aspects to aging and health. One's social network and position is a major factor in longevity, and I think we do our seniors major harm by relegating them to peripheral status.
                      “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

Owly - completely agree, though I think it is just as much an effect of our current social norms as it is each individual's perspective. Most older people seem to just accept the fact that they are getting old, and give in to the nook that has been built for them - it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Comment

it bugs me all to *hit when i hear older people just...accept the conventions that their bodies are going to crap out of them at a certain age instead of seeing if something can be done to prevent it. all i can say is that i'm glad i found MDA before i hit 40.
                          sigpic

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

Comment

Doghead, for sure. When you tell people their whole lives that old people are frail, sick, and useless, then many of them will accept that niche. I hope that alternative models for what it means to age begin to catch on more as the boomers are becoming seniors. I know my dad isn't giving up his motorcycles and jazz clubs anytime soon! I think we need to find a middle ground where we recognize aging (instead of scrambling to pretend it doesn't happen) while changing our idea of what it means to be old.
                            “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

On our Weird Culture of Youth - the switch from revering experience and wisdom to the deification of youth

Craig Ferguson on Why Everything Sucks

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

Working...
                              X