Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long before symptoms of your "poison" intake appear?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long before symptoms of your "poison" intake appear?

I imagine it's different for every person due to metabolic differences, but I'm curious what the layout is here. For me, if I eat a big ol bowl of greek yogurt, I'm farting all day starting within hours of eating it :P Other foods though, like wheat, I don't seem to get a reaction from at all.

It depends on what I eat and how much of it I eat. Most things generally avoided (grains, legumes) don't do anything to me and dairy is no problem either. Sugar doesn't do much other than give me lots of energy for half an hour or so.
    HOWEVER, soda (and I'm assuming most artificial sweeteners i.e. aspartame, etc) will make me feel like crap within half an hour. I had gone without it for about a year and then bought one a few weeks ago because I was dead tired and had a 3-hour drive ahead of me so I wanted caffeine... bad choice, lol.
    Subduction leads to orogeny

My blog that I don't update as often as I should: http://primalclimber.blogspot.com/

Comment

With wheat and other grains - no more than half an hour, and it could be a single bite of wedding cake. That's all it takes for me to react, and the reaction stays for two or three days before going away. I only had to do that experiment once or twice before I learned that I simply cannot touch anything made of grains without intense pain.
      Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Comment

Wheat, beer, whiskey - Almost instantly. Also, walking through the bread aisle or smelling someone making toast.

Other things - no problem
        Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Comment

gluten gives me mild nausea almost instantly, then stomach cramps after about 6 hours, then a long trip to the bathroom after about 12. everything clears up after about 36 hours

Comment

Interesting topic. would like to hear reactions from more people.

Sugar gives me new acne after 12 hours and it lasts for 2 days...Then finally it fades away.

Comment

When my wife gives way to her addiction to tortilla chips, constipation is soon to follow, like that night. sometimes the next, too.
              Recently I dicovered an unfinnished bag of popcorn in our pantry anf ate it. Arthritis flare the next day, and the day after.
              sigpicI'm not old, I'm Vintage!

Comment

Sounds like I'm pretty lucky. After 6 months of close to 95% PB, I'm finding that I can enjoy the other 5% with no problems except maybe a heavy stomach for awhile. I've yet to make it through a whole piece of birthday cake, though. I just can't eat super sweet anymore.

Comment

I have noticed a correlation between wheat and knee pain. I had a cheat week while on an family vacation in early August and ate quite non-Primally, including wheat. My bad knee was killing me that week, even though I didn't work out at all (I had been wondering whether squats & KB swings were aggravating it). When I got home and back on a Primal diet, the knee pain went away.

I have eaten wheat twice since then, and both times my knee bothered me the next day. Could be coincidence, but it seems like a pretty clear correlation to me!
                  My blog: Pretty Good Paleo
                  On Twitter: @NEKLocalvore

Comment

Refined sugar starts to bother me within 15-20 minutes, unless it is buffered with epic amounts of fat. Wheat is hit or miss for me. Usually I can eat it no problem, but occasionally I will develop mild nausea within a few minutes.

These are just the things I've noticed so far. Otherwise, I'm still working on sorting out what my "poisons" are exactly.
                    The Primal Holla! Eating fat. Getting lean. Being awesome.

You were sick, but now you're well, and there's work to do. - Kilgore Trout

Comment

I was traveling this weekend and I did eat wheat twice on Saturday, and Red Robin fries on Friday night, Both times I had a stuffy head within 30 minutes that lasted about an hour. My face is also broken out since the weekend, not pimples but tiny red spots like a rash.

Looking forward to getting back to normal.

ALSO if I have any restaurant food, even when I order as primal as possible I wake up the next day feeling hung over and all my joints ache
                      Redflame
                      Started PB Aug 9, 2010 then let 'stuff' get in the way
                      Back to start and make a fantastic 2012
                      Goal of Significant Weight Loss
                      15 pounds down! with more to go!

Comment

I really don't eat any grains, but sugary things will turn me into a zombie and I end up falling asleep within an hour after eating it, even in the middle of the day. Dairy also makes me really congested and mucousy, but I love it too much to give it up.

Comment

I went to Five Guys, which used to be my favorite, a few weeks ago, and had a cheeseburger, Coke and fries. By the time I was finished I felt fuzzy headed and out of it. This lasted an hour or so. Don't know if it was the sugar or the bread or both.

Comment

Eating dairy always gives me chest congestion the following day, although similarly to trobi, I can't bring myself to cut it out completely.

Grains or too much alcohol will completely close up my nasal passages so that I have to breathe through my mouth for a few hours. Fun!

Years ago, when I still ate Chinese takeout food, eating that or drinking wine (which contains sulfides) would make all of my finger joints so stiff and swollen that I could barely flex my fingers for hours afterward.

Having more than a little sugar or grains, particularly early in the day, will make me feel very sleepy, even if I'm well-rested and ate an otherwise primal meal.

Comment

Originally posted by Annika View Post
                              I have noticed a correlation between wheat and knee pain. I had a cheat week while on an family vacation in early August and ate quite non-Primally, including wheat. My bad knee was killing me that week, even though I didn't work out at all (I had been wondering whether squats & KB swings were aggravating it). When I got home and back on a Primal diet, the knee pain went away.

I have eaten wheat twice since then, and both times my knee bothered me the next day. Could be coincidence, but it seems like a pretty clear correlation to me!
                              Even CW links arthritis with inflamation, now, and recognizes that wheat is inflamatory. Unfortunately, this info is only disemenated in publications / websites you won't find in your grocer's Magazine rack (I first read this in Arthritis, a free magazine, yep, you read that right, Arthritis, available for free at your local orthopedists office) (who also won't tell you about it)
                              sigpicI'm not old, I'm Vintage!

Comment

Working...
                              X