Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MeatMe216 View Post
    Oh eff ya! Im there.
    We should get all cook a Batty's Cheesecake, get in on a video chat, and eat it "together". That would be awesome.

Comment

We should get all cook a Batty's Cheesecake, get in on a video chat, and eat it "together". That would be awesome.
      I'm up for that. Wanna do it the day this challenge ends? Anybody?
      Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
      My Latest Journal

Comment

Thanks Batty. I needed that.

You fkn rock!

Comment

Originally posted by naiadknight View Post
          I'm up for that. Wanna do it the day this challenge ends? Anybody?
          I'm in if someone would care to arrange the details!

Comment

ok wow, there are a hell of a lot of responses here. haha. BUT. challenge ends the....8th, right? i'd be down for doing it that evening
            sigpic

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

Comment

batty- you are awesome!

Comment

Sounds good to me. Any specific types of Primal cheesecake, or whatever floats your boat?
                Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
                My Latest Journal

Comment

Originally posted by Annika View Post
                  LOL, I actually have a picture of myself on the front page of The Daily Californian (the UC Berkeley newspaper) smashing a scale with a sledgehammer. Ah, the good ol' days of anarcho-feminism....
                  Okay, how much do I love this?!

Batty, I'm bummed that I will have no cheesecake--I will be in India by then and will be unlikely to be cooking up any such thing. Can I raise a lassi in your honour?
                  “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

Batty, you are so right and so friggin' awesome to remind us! Some of us are stubbornly stuck in CW. I find myself preaching about the scale, yet weigh myself with this stupid friggin' obsession everyday. What I fail to emphasize is that I am the healthiest I've been in umm---15 years?! No shit! 15 years ago I was hobbling around like an 80 yo woman. I may have been a lot 'skinnier', but I was a wreck both physically and emotionally.

While I haven't yet reached my goal; I'm pretty happy with 'me' today. My 17 yo niece was over a couple of days ago and was so impressed with the fact that I can sprint! I haven't sprinted in 20-25 years! No bullshit! My daughter is 27 and my grandbaby is 9 yo. I can now outrun both of them!

I'm proud as hell of becoming primal and humbled and thrilled by both my progress and the friends I've made. It's ironic that I came across this post today. I had recently broke a 'plateau' in my weight loss, and was crushed to weigh 2 lbs more only this morning. But as the day wore on, I tried on a pair of size 14 jeans (my jeans were size 22-24 before primal a few months ago, and these are baggy!). I was able to tuck my blouse in and not feel embarrassed. I haven't been able to do this in 12 years!

While the scale may not read what I want it to, (or did 20 years ago), I feel better than I did then.
                    Starting Weight/BMI: 184/29.7
                    Current Weight/BMI: 130 /21.0
                    Ultimate Goal: 125/18

Comment

Thank you for this post. I confess I am one who has gotten caught up in the scale. No more! What a good reminder of what true progress is. I am gaining strength. My core has improved by leaps and bounds since giving birth. (4.5 months postpartum now). I feel wonderful, energized and strong. My pants and shirts are looser. And I am loving the food! Thank you again for posting this. I have taken it to heart and will re-evaluate my goals.
                      Favorite Mark Quote: "I train to play."

June 2010: 168.6 -size 16
                      Current: 155 - size 10/12
                      Goal:135 - size 8

My Journal

Comment

Thought I'd posted this last night, but I must have forgotten

Batty, I'm hearing everything you're saying lass, and I wish I could make it apply to me. Your penultimate statement to me, however, is the most relevant about being 110lb, a size 2 and 36%BF - because that person is ME (well apart from the bit about being 7st 12 - I'm trying to murder the bit of me who wants to be that low again! I have been, but I lost a LOT of weight due to stress (I was street homeless at the time - this also the reason why I'm now a chronic insomniac).

I still go by what the scales tell me, but more and more I'm going by how my clothes fit. I'm now feeling brave enough to post the only 2 photos I have of me (well with clothes on, at least! I used to take piccies of meself every week to see if there'd been any changes!)

The first one was taken either '07 or '08, I can't recall when - nor can I recall how much I weighed at the time, but I seem to recall that the blue top I'm wearing in the photo was the largest size M&S did at the time (which I think was a UK 24 (US 20), therefore the trews must have been a UK 26 (US 22) as I was always larger on me bum back then.)

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/m...76/SJB2008.jpg

This second one was taken about 8 months or so ago, the top is Gap XS (which apparently is a size 6, but they've just launched an EU site, and their size chart informs me that it's a 32.5" chest, and I'd just started wearing 30C bras back then, so it was a little on the large side; in most high street shops here in Blighty, 32" would be an 8).

I've actuallly given up trying to work out my BF%, because apparently (as I think I've said before) I have a 28" waist, yet am wearing size 6 leggings (okay, leggings stretch - but by nearly 5"?! I don't THINK so!)

Anyway, here you go: -

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/m...hotos/2010.jpg

Think was around - or just over - 9st then, and for the past 3 days I've been around 8st 6 (it has to be the same for 3 days in a row with me for it to count!)

One final thing: - How do I get my mother to see things from where I am? We continually have rows about this because she's very much stuck in the CW world, which tells her that I am slim and my kid sis is fat, when the complete opposite is true. Yes, my sister is far HEAVIER than I am (I'd reckon by a good 4 stone or so, UK size 14-16 (US 10-12)) but, because she has an active job, and works at a livery yard at the weekends (shovelling horse shit has got to build up those bis, tris and delts!) and she rides every single day (good for making one's gluteus less maximus and firming up the quads and abs) not to mention all the chucking around of hay bales and sacks of feed! If I had to guesstimate her BF, I'd say it was in the region of around 20% or so, if that.

If I ever find the CF card for my camera, I'll post an up-to-date photo.

Right I'll STFU now!
                        La tristesse durera toujours...

Comment

well done for posting your photos s_v. i think that's a big step in the right direction. I'm sure the girls here will give you some thoughts and direction!

:-)
                          Scottish Sarah

Join our UK/ROI Primal group here! http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...php?groupid=67

Give me a poke on facebook http://www.facebook.com/#!/pistepals
                          **Remember to tell me your forum name so I know who you are!**

Comment

Batty,

Thank you for the post and the advice contained within.

I do focus on my weight for now as I have a fair bit to lose...I want to replace that with more reliable measures of how I'm doing...I've taking the usual measurements...but the idea about the fat calipers got me searching and am hopeful I will have some soon! I have several pairs of jeans that have never fitted, which I bought at bargain prices figuring I would definitely lose the weight 'this time' each time I found some new weight loss idea to try. This is my final 'this time'!!

It is good to read sound sensible advice from time to time and I'm so thankful I've found a place brimming with people who are willing to do this! Thank you.

Comment

Thanks Sarah!

The BIG problem I have now is how the hell do I lose the 10-15% BF I believe I need to lose without losing (too much) more on the scale, because obviously, 15% of 118 is around 18lb and there is NO WAY ON EARTH I want to weigh 7st 2! I can't see myself being able to tone up that much - EVER!

I wish I'd discovered PB when I was at my heaviest (which is NOT the first photo - I'd already lost considerably by that point) instead of following CW and taking my GP's advice and doing Cambridge. I now feel VERY strongly that ALL MRDs (Meal Replacement Diets) should be banned, or at least regulated more stringently than they are now. I was in M&S the other day and there were 2 lasses next to me in the dairy aisle checking out the Count On Us chocolate mousses, wondering if they could be used as treats on the Tony Ferguson diet (another MRD imported from Oz) they were already moaning about how hard it was to stick to - so I put 4 cartons of double cream in my basket (which already contained bacon, eggs, mackerel fillets, sardines and berries). One of them looked at me and turned to her friend and she said the words I'd been LONGING to hear from someone ever since I lost 14 stone or so "Skinny bitch - I hate people who can eat what they like!"

I wish I'd had the courage of my convictions to have replied! I'd wanted to say something like "I used to be as big as you, and this is how I lost it" (i.e. the full-fat dairy, the meat the fruit etc) and she wouldn't have believed me, and I'd have said yes, it's true and pointed her (and her friend) here!

But I didn't, damnit!
                              La tristesse durera toujours...

Comment

(((Batty)))) Grok on, Sister!

When I was at my athetic (muscular) best, at 5'6" tall, I weighed 145 lbs. and wore a size 8.

Here's a pic of me near that peak, at age 52:

http://www1.snapfish.com/snapfish/th...NAME=snapfish/

(Sorry I don't know how to insert the image directly!)

Most important, my health was excellent. HDL/Total Chol. ratio was 1:2. Limitless energy, zest, joie de vivre. Would have I traded all that in for a size 6? Not for a second.

Now I'm in a different boat. I'm 55, and the last 3 years have been full of such relentless stressors, it's like trying to swim to shore in the ocean after a shipwreck, but the tsunamis just keep on comin'. I weigh 50 pounds more now, no muscle, all fat, and I feel low energy most days. I am on a mission to heal, and the LAST THING I am concerned about is the scale.

Please, ladies, heed the wise Batty. Our days on this earth are numbered, and we don't even know what our number is. If you were to die tomorrow, would it matter how much you weighed that morning? Or would it matter how well you lived?

Too many Western women, especially young women, spend their precious life energy investing in the scale and in trying to look like a fashion model. Yeah, when I was fit, I enjoyed being able to buy clothes easily, but I enjoyed being able to MOVE easily much more.

Much love, healing and peace to all my sister Grokettes!

PWG

Comment

Working...
                                X