the best chocolate I've ever eaten...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the best chocolate I've ever eaten...

I had bought an 88% chocolate bar on a whim a few weeks ago, but had so far only had up to 72%. I was nervous, fearing I wasn't quite ready yet, but dove in last night.
    Oh
    My
    Goodness.

It was a Dolfin 88% bar and I've never had chocolate so smooth, so flavorful and so ... unbelievably good in my life.
    I'm spoiled. I'm ruined for life. I can never go back to Reese's peanut butter cups, and I don't care anymore.
    I'm in love.

Hells yea.

I worked my way up to eating 100% for a while, now 85% tastes like hersehey's, its great!
    sigpic

Comment

I like 85% G&B. 90% Lindt was bogging
      Scottish Sarah

Join our UK/ROI Primal group here! http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...php?groupid=67

Give me a poke on facebook http://www.facebook.com/#!/pistepals
      **Remember to tell me your forum name so I know who you are!**

Comment

We love the 85% green and black's also, and the co-op do a lovely 85% fairtrade bar that is nice. We sometimes have lindt 90% but the texture is a bit grainy I think. Taste is good though!
        The Primal Journey of Mr and Mrs Fist

sigpic

Comment

Pralus le 100% ftw.
          You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Comment

Where did you find the Dolfin bar? I don't think I've seen it around here, but then again, I wasn't looking for it. Now I will
            Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
            Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Comment

I just discovered that Trader Joe's has some chocolate discs, they have both a sweetened one and an unsweetened where the ingredients are 100% cocoa mass, conveniently 6 discs is one ounce. I find it a little intimidating to munch on it straight, but melted w/ a bit of coconut cream or peanut butter and no sweetener, yum!

Comment

I found it in a little specialty shop I'd gone to to buy local honey. I saw the bar and thought "why not?"
                So very glad I did...

Comment

Poco Dolce.
                  http://www.pocodolce.com
                  My primal journal!
                  http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Meat-Manifesto

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs Fist View Post
                    We love the 85% green and black's also, and the co-op do a lovely 85% fairtrade bar that is nice. We sometimes have lindt 90% but the texture is a bit grainy I think. Taste is good though!
                    yes i've tried the co-op one too...yum..
                    Scottish Sarah

Join our UK/ROI Primal group here! http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...php?groupid=67

Give me a poke on facebook http://www.facebook.com/#!/pistepals
                    **Remember to tell me your forum name so I know who you are!**

Comment

Still haven't found Dolfin around here, but I do have a new favorite: 80% Equal Exchange. It's fairtrade, which is nice, and it's delicious. They add vanilla to it and I think that maybe what's appealing to me.

Most remarkable thing about this primal living...I can have a chocolate bar in the house, and eat it slowly over many days. Pre-primal, I'd have eaten the whole thing in a few seconds and then felt guilty and sick. Being free of that craziness is the single best thing about primal for me.
                      Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
                      Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Comment

I'm stuck at the 100% (insert name). Forget the name, but I really enjoy it. Won't go down to 85% until I lose another 20ish pounds.

Comment

Originally posted by queen_sheba View Post
                          I like 85% G&B. 90% Lindt was bogging
                          haha, do you say that over there, too? We say it, but it sounds more like "Boggin'".

Comment

I'm obsessed with the 90% Lindt. I eat between 1 and 2 servings of it (1-2 oz) per day, usually 2 squares after every meal. I know there's only 3g of sugar per serving, but to me it tastes like a very sweet treat. I suppose you could call it an addiction, or a habit. I hope this level of consumption isn't bad for me! At the very least it helps me reach my daily caloric goals, which is typically tough for me to do.

Comment

I am a desperately obsessed chocoholic. I am actually going to Hawaii in November specifically and only to consume the fresh pulpy flesh around the cacao seed. Couldn't care less about the beaches, volcanoes, palm trees, whatever. I'm going to stand beside a cacao tree and worship. Sigh...

My favorite 100 is La Maison de Chocolat's Coro followed closely by L'Artisan du Chocolat's Carenero. Teuscher makes a 99 (the 1% remaining is fructose) that is delicious, but obtaining the bar is beyond difficult. Cluizel's Noir Infini is excellent. Pralus and Bonnat can be marvelous when you find a bar from a good batch, but you can also run into specimens from not-so-great batches. In the 90's, I absolutely love Theo's *old* 91% based on Venezuelan beans, but its 91% made with Costa Rican beans is pretty much inedible for me. (Darnit!) Slitti makes a 90% that I enjoyed years ago, the Super Novanta Amazzonia (sic). I'm not sure it's still available as I haven't placed a huge order for chocolate in some time.

If you're seeking to maximize your cocoa butter and minimize the carbier cacao solids, Hachez's 88% is sublime. It's also very low carb for exactly that reason. It has fewer carbs than many of the bars in the 90's. It is divinely smooth, but lacks the cacao punch that many crave.

If anyone cares, my chocolate livejournal contains a rather expansive entry on 99 and 100% bars. (I titled it "When darkness calls, this is what I find".) It's here:

http://lissbliss.livejournal.com/

Uh yeah. Kinda seriously owned by cacao.

Comment

Working...
                              X