has anyone eaten elk??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• has anyone eaten elk??

I can't believe it myself, but I thought since I live here in Norway and am getting all primal and all I would try it... I have a guilty conscience kind of now... HOWEVER... I did get elk meat which is raised organically for eating... and it was quite yummy!!!!! I had some which was kind of like dried jerky or something, and a little piece of "elk medallions"- the best part of the elk meat (I do not know any meat lingo haha!) and it was really good! Must be primal meat I believe
    anyone kow how to prepare it?

Elk is delicious---
    Tayatha om bekandze

Bekandze maha bekandze

Randza samu gate soha

Comment

Hi - another Norwegian here and yep, I've had elk. It is gooood. What do you mean "raised organically"? Elk in Norway is living free in the nature and have a wonderful life and one awful day.

Elk can be prepared like most meat, but as it tends to be leaner than CW raised domesticated animals they need a little special care to not come out too dry.
      Sometimes you need to be told the truth in order to be able to see it.

My journal

I see grain people...

Exist in shadow, drifting away.

Comment

Yup. Quite common here in Idaho, where elk hunting makes a significant contribution to our economy. Why would you feel guilty about it?
        Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Comment

Originally posted by Sungrazer View Post
          Elk in Norway is living free in the nature and have a wonderful life and one awful day.
          One awful minute, more like. Assuming they even notice. It certainly beats growing up miserable in a feedlot somewhere, I'd bet!
          "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Comment

Elk = yummy, especially the back strap.
            Even had some elk sausage which was terrific too.
            RKC, AFAA PT
            ------------------------------------------------
            “We must all suffer from one of two pains: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret. The difference is discipline weighs ounces while regret weighs tons.” -Jim Rohn

Comment

Yes! I was veg for 15 years but sometime during that 15 years, one of my best friends sister's boyfriends (lol), shot an elk in AK or Canada and brought some back to MI.

I knew it was something very special at that time and did eat it.

I can still 'taste' it. Delicious.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

I got it through a hunter's market and he said "økologisk"! I haven't eaten meats for 14yrs since I was 19yrs old so I don't know all that nuch about it... I am just eatin all sorts of it now it seems haha! And I will continue to do so....
                Last edited by charlotta; 09-11-2010, 08:51 AM.

Comment

Where in Norway, can I ask?
                  Maybe you know where to get some primal staples I am in Tønsberg- well Borre!

Comment

Had some hunted elk sausage. It was delicious but since it was quite spicy, it could have been any good meat.
                    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Comment

Yeah I really like elk. I can't seem to find a cheap source but once a week I'll have some from the "health food" store. Great source of b vitamins.
                      Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

I eat elk regularly, a couple of times per week at least. We actually have an elk on the way from a local rancher, should be here by the end of the month. We are sharing it with a couple of friends, so I expect we will end up with about half the animal in the end. I've asked that we get the bones and such too.

It's very healthy meat. If you look at the nutritional profiles, I think it's one of the best choices out there. I also like that it's a native species to my region, so it's ecologically appropriate, much more so than cattle. We're eating mostly bison and elk for red meat in our house now.
                        “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Comment

My freezer is full of Elk and deer every yr 5 hunters in our family ... can be cooked anyway you cook beef,it is very lean.

BBQ+ olive oil and spices med. rare is the best,

if you get a tougher cut you can grind it add a couple of eggs spices make the best burger or meatloaf

backstrap(medalions) on low fry in butter when med. rare add some cream and couple Tbls sour cream let it bubble on low for
                          about 5 min's to thicken

fried with bacon is great

taco meat for salad is awesome
                          stew meat

slice it really thin for stir fry add veggies

just remember to add fat and dont over cook it will be great how ever u use it... good luck

Comment

We serve "elk" medallions in the restaurant. Being in the US, it's actually some farm-raised product from New Zealand. Charlotta: Bob makes a sauce with port wine & shallots to serve with. It's one of our most popular dishes. Don't over cook those medallions - they will dry out. The earlier suggestion of grilling with butter is a very good idea. (the chefs I work with do that) You can grill the piece with butter, salt & pepper. Turn it to make the pretty grill marks & then slice it into medallions. Sauteed mushrooms always go nicely too

Comment

Originally posted by charlotta View Post
                              Where in Norway, can I ask?
                              I'm in Oslo, or 50 km outside of Oslo to be exact.

Originally posted by charlotta View Post
                              Maybe you know where to get some primal staples I am in Tønsberg- well Borre!
                              I would have tried a local butcher of some sort, otherwise Coop, Rema, Rimi, ICA and Meny have a lot of decent stuff.
                              Sometimes you need to be told the truth in order to be able to see it.

My journal

I see grain people...

Exist in shadow, drifting away.

Comment

Working...
                              X