Avoiding A/C - jobs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avoiding A/C - jobs

A/C is definitely bad for me. It gives me a headache and clogs my sinuses. Its something poisonous and I'm going to avoid it. However, its a little hard to find jobs in the city not in air conditioned buildings. So I looking for suggestions. It doesn't matter what.

Cheers
    A steak a day keeps the doctor away

That is so weird because the AC has been broken at my office for 2 days and it's making me sick! I get dizzy and light-headed in there, even with the industrial fans they have brought in... I'll take your AC off your hands anyday
    Starting weight, June 10, 2010: 213 pounds
    Current weight, October 31, 2010: 177 pounds
    Goal: Happiness, Health, Hotness

Screw "moderation"!!

Comment

Well, if you can land one, there are lots of construction jobs outside. You could become a hot-dog vendor (or some such thing . . . oh! Maybe a primal type vendor!). If you were looking for a career, you could become a professional gardener, or landscaper--or you might find a job with one. If you're looking for a total life change, then maybe a veggi-farmer and organic cattle-rancher.

But other than that, I'm out of ideas. It would be hard to find a basic job in the city, free of AC. Best of luck.

Comment

You could be a letter-box-jack!
        It isn't that life ashore is distasteful to me. But life at sea is better."
        ~~Sir Francis Drake

Comment

Originally posted by rki View Post
          then maybe a veggi-farmer and organic cattle-rancher.
          I've been thinking about that. I moved to the city to avoid farming in the first place.

@ Lodini: Perhaps its a lack of fresh air that is causing your problem, or else the place is just too damned hot. If you can, open the windows.

Comment

I'm in and out of my car all day and it's usually 90+ degrees and 90+ humidity, so i have learned to appreciate my time in the A/C. As much as I love not working in an office, I could do without the days of dripping sweat for hours at a time. But if it is making you sick it is probably mold in the air ducts. That can be nasty stuff and your employer might want to think about having it cleaned.
            My blog: My Primal Adventure

"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubble gum."

Comment

You could move to Germany and get a factory job.
              Started my journey on May 22, 2010:

Beginning weight ~180
              Current weight ~145

Nov. 9, 2009........Nov. 9, 2010.....Jun. 17, 2011
              LDL 155...............LDL 176............LDL 139
              HDL 39................HDL 66..............HDL 95
              TGL 154..............TGL 77..............TGL 49

Comment

Originally posted by kcult View Post
                You could move to Germany and get a factory job.
                Hmm...cold is also on my list of things to avoid. Right now I live in Sydney and I am considering moving to a warmer climate. I think Germany may be a bit of step in the wrong direction.

Comment

If only anyone ever used the A/C moderately. But it seems to always be turned on so low.

Comment

I have to wear a sweat shirt in my office when it is 100 outside because apparently it is impossible to have the office feel moderately comfortable. I could keep grass fed beef at my desk and it probably would not spoil. Talk about a waste of money.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushrat View Post
                      A/C is definitely bad for me. It gives me a headache and clogs my sinuses. Its something poisonous and I'm going to avoid it. However, its a little hard to find jobs in the city not in air conditioned buildings. So I looking for suggestions. It doesn't matter what.

Cheers
                      I think anything outside in most cities would be way worse than A/C. As others have suggested, maybe the A/C system is moldy or something. Fortunately, most companies are cost conscious if not environmentally conscious about running the A/C.
                      Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Comment

Depends on the type of airconditioning.

The building I work in has passive chilled beams. The ceiling is metal grills and above that are the chilled beams. They are like a big car radiator. Cold water is pumped through them and that passively cools the surrounding air which then falls through the ceiling into the work area.

Additionally we have fresh air vents that simply pump fresh air into the building directly from the outside with only dust filtering occurring. Inside the building we have living walls. These are walls made of plants that run half the length of the building right in the middle of each floor. The plants are all alive of course (not fake) and are watered weekly be a contractor. They help promote a healthy atmosphere.

It is really a pleasant environment to work in. My organisation moved in three years ago and apparently the illness rate in the building dropped off by around 50%.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushrat View Post

@ Lodini: Perhaps its a lack of fresh air that is causing your problem, or else the place is just too damned hot. If you can, open the windows.
                          It's a really big building with non-openable windows... and opening windows in September in Miami is never smart anyway LOL... but I am pleased to announce that today, they finally fixed the AC
                          Starting weight, June 10, 2010: 213 pounds
                          Current weight, October 31, 2010: 177 pounds
                          Goal: Happiness, Health, Hotness

Screw "moderation"!!

Comment

Tell your company to change their filters more frequently. I spent almost 2 years in the desert so I'll take whatever A/C I can get.
                            Today is a new day. You will get out of it just what you put into it. If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. And supposing you have tried and failed again and again, you may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call 'Failure' is not the falling down, but the staying down.

Mary Pickford

Comment

Originally posted by thanatos View Post
                              The building I work in has passive chilled beams. The ceiling is metal grills and above that are the chilled beams. They are like a big car radiator. Cold water is pumped through them and that passively cools the surrounding air which then falls through the ceiling into the work area.

Additionally we have fresh air vents that simply pump fresh air into the building directly from the outside with only dust filtering occurring. Inside the building we have living walls. These are walls made of plants that run half the length of the building right in the middle of each floor. The plants are all alive of course (not fake) and are watered weekly be a contractor. They help promote a healthy atmosphere.

It is really a pleasant environment to work in. My organisation moved in three years ago and apparently the illness rate in the building dropped off by around 50%.
                              How interesting! I'm jealous

Comment

Working...
                              X