Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Healing from the inside out? (Sick of being sick!)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regarding functional problems - if you feel like food is getting stuck in your throat and you are having difficulty swallowing, as I said, you may have an esophageal motility problem. These can be caused by connective tissue and autoimmune problems affecting the nerves to the smooth muscle as well as just happen for no apparent reason. This can be tested for with a barium swallow test where they xray you while swallowing a contrast dye to see what happens to it. They can also put a pressure sensing device down your throat and have you swallow to see if the pressure pattern of esophageal contractions is full and normal. Young people do get these problems, and they often have GERD as a symptom due to poor sphincter tone/control.

You may want to consult a gastroenterologist about your symptoms, not just an endocrinologist. The GI doc can evaluate for these functional issues. Good luck, keep us informed as to how you do!

Comment

A lot of good ideas and suggestions, but I have another one:

I tried one magnesium supplement after another (by mouth) and they all gave me an unhappy gut, INCLUDING MAG GLYCINATE, which is supposed to be so totally gut-friendly. It wasn't for me. Two capsules of it, a little nap, then diarrhea enough to clean me out.

Now I get magnesium through my skin, as Magnesium Chloride in a brine, which is sold as "magnesium oil."

For the unhappy bowels, I'd suggest a wide array of probiotic foods, rather than capsules of this or that. When trying to get over a queasy stomach after my recent run-in with Guillain Barre Syndrome, I got very good results from having a little apple cider vinegar (with honey, but I've stopped the honey now) in warm water first thing in the morning; kim chee (good quality, local) with meals, just a little, Greek yoghurt once in awhile, and a little glass of kombucha in the evening. I sometimes eat live (local) sauerkraut as well.

Condolences about the soy formula. Feeding soy to innocent babies should be a complete non-starter, IMO.

Comment

salt water is the best acne treatment ? plz explain how and how much salt to water,how often?
        ... have a teen in the pool all the time , not alot of acne but a little on shoulders
        Last edited by Eatmydust; 08-31-2010, 07:19 PM.

Comment

Yes on the ZINC esp for the skin issues, mag oil, and other nutrients! I would certainly be supping using really good, bioavailable forms of all vits/minerals, esp those mentioned above (cillakat). Also C, E, and prob. the Bs and of course D (which cillakat already mentioned ). I really like Thorne brand supps b/c they are typically in a very bioavailable form. I use Basic Nutrients III b/c there is no copper or iron (I react badly to supplemental iron and get lots through diet, and w/ zinc deficiency, I personally *don't* need extra copper atm...)

Flareups from kelp? I wonder if this is related to bromide/bromine being mobilized by the iodine? Just a thought--have no idea if this is the case or not. Makes me think your detox pathways are not well enough supported though, and supping antioxidants and the above things (along w/ selenium) could be really helpful. I think its really great that you are looking into the thyroid stuff!!!

I might try a different probiotic as well, or at least add probiotic foods (lactofermented veggies are easy to make and awesome! Kimchi, sauerkraut, etc.) I just think they are a huge part of healing, and maybe w/ your dietary changes they may make more of a difference than they seemed to before???

Good luck!! You are in a great place for healing!!!
          My Before/After Pics
          Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Comment

Thanks again for your help, everyone! I can tell this is a great, supportive community.

@twinmama: I'm pretty sure my thyroid isn't swollen, not visibly at least. Are you officially diagnosed with Hashimoto's, and if so, how did you get your diagnosis if your labs were normal? It's reassuring to know that I'm probably not crazy for feeling like this even though my bloodwork is A-OK, but it seems like it will be hard to find a doc willing to give me medication due to my results. As for the reflux, it occurs no matter what I eat, but carbs like rice definitely flare it up. Not worth it! And sorry to hear you were soy-fed, as well; our parents were only doing what they thought was best for us, I'm sure. I know I probably would have died if they hadn't given me the soy because I spit up everything else they tried.

@ cillakat: Thanks for the suggestions! I'm planning on adding in 5,000 IU of D daily soon because I'm in the northeast US and very likely deficient. I already take 400mg of mag. glycinate daily, but I probably don't get enough potassium. Zinc oxide, picolinate, and gluconate all give me large jawline acne, but I'm going to try an amino acid chelate. Also, yes, Retin-A is awesome. Only been on it for two months, but already it's done more for my skin than any other medication. Hoping it'll keep me wrinkle-free, too!

@ Barb: Thanks for the info! I'm definitely booking some GI tests in the near future; was supposed to get them done back in February but didn't have the $$.

@piano-doctor-lady: Hmm, I think I'm OK with Mag Glycinate since my symptoms presented long before I took it, but thanks for the head's-up! The natural probiotics seem like a good idea, though! I used to drink coconut milk kefir, eat kim chi and sauerkraut, but stopped because I didn't feel much different...don't think it would hurt to try them again.

@FairyRae: My naturopath said something about my detox pathways possibly not being up to snuff because it seems like many supplements give me acne, so I think you might be on to something there. I already take C and am looking into Selenium, D and E; hopefully those will help!

--
            As of right now based on everyone's suggestions, I'm planning on supplementing:
            1000mg Vit. C with bioflavinoids (already take)
            400mg Mag Glycinate (already take)
            10,000 IU Vit. D every other day
            200 mcg Selenium (or brazil nut)
            400 IU Vit. E with mixed tocopherols
            30mg zinc glycinate chelate

I will also see the endocrinologist about my thyroid and the GI doc about my gut issues, and will eat more fermented foods.
            * Pixy's Quest for Regaining Health *
            Trying to gain weight, clear scarring acne, and fix thyroid and digestive issues with primal lifestyle- here goes something!

Comment

good luck! the ghee may still be a problem for some so keep that in mind. also, kelp did make my skin worse at first but then it cleared. maybe a healing reaction, not sure. let us know how you're doing;-)
              Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers

Comment

Any updates?

Comment

I'm curious, too. There were quite a few problems and I would like to think that the OP found relief from the issues.
                  Started my journey on May 22, 2010:

Beginning weight ~180
                  Current weight ~145

Nov. 9, 2009........Nov. 9, 2010.....Jun. 17, 2011
                  LDL 155...............LDL 176............LDL 139
                  HDL 39................HDL 66..............HDL 95
                  TGL 154..............TGL 77..............TGL 49

Comment

Hey guys, thanks for checking in!

My symptoms are pretty much unchanged, unfortunately. I think my lips are even more dry now (SO DRY), my acne is still bad, my hair and eyelashes/brows are still falling out, and my GI issues persist. I DO have a bit more energy, though, which is a definite plus. I no longer need to nap every day, and keep a fairly regular sleep schedule.

The endocrinologist I saw was useless: "Your numbers are in range, there's nothing we can do for you." They wanted to test morning serum cortisol and my TSH again, but I never got that done because I didn't want to waste money on a follow-up with a horrible doctor. So I searched online and found a doc near me who practices functional medicine, was within the top tier of my insurance network, and got an appointment with him within a few weeks. My appointment with him lasted an hour, and he seemed baffled by my condition but has a few ideas. He thinks that my GI issues and possibly adrenal problems are messing with my thyroid, and that the thyroid itself isn't the issue here. He gave me a salivary Adrenal Stress Index test, which measures cortisol four times during the day, along with a CDSA kit that extensively tests for parasites, dysbiosis, yeast, malabsorption, etc. He also ordered the following blood work: ANA, ESR, RNP, anti-gliadin antibodies, and some tests for lupus and lyme, maybe one or two more I'm forgetting. Additionally, he plugged my high cholesterol numbers into a computer program that calculates risk for heart disease based on a few factors, and turns out I have a 1% risk of heart disease because my HDL is awesome (96, up from a pre-primal 52). I told him that I should obviously keep eating bacon and he agreed.

I'm getting the bloodwork done this week, doing the salivary test on Tues. then mailing it out, and trying to wrangle enough cash to afford the CDSA (insurance has a $400 deductible for out-of-state labwork) soon. I'm also planning on calling the GI doc I visited a while ago and getting her to re-order the upper GI series so I can do that and rule out problems such as hernia. After all of this, I'll be following up with the new doctor I'm seeing, and hopefully he'll find something in the new labwork to treat.

For the record, my diet as of now: omega 3 eggs, grass-fed ground beef, lamb, free-range chicken thighs, canned wild salmon and sardines, unsalted Icelandic butter, shredded coconut, coconut oil, almond butter, prunes, raspberries, blueberries, occasional apples, carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, kale, collards, chard, black pepper, turmeric, ginger, garlic, and that's pretty much it. I "cheat" with red wine, 85%+ dark chocolate, or honey every now and then.
                    Trying to gain weight, clear scarring acne, and fix thyroid and digestive issues with primal lifestyle- here goes something!

Comment

Looks like you found a good doctor!
                      Meghan

My MDA journal

Primal Ponderings- my blog- finally added some food pron :P

And best of all my Body Fat Makeover!!

Comment

Originally posted by NutMeg View Post
                        Looks like you found a good doctor!
                        Yes! So far, he is fantastic. I really think he'll help me get my health back on track.

Comment

And I'm really envious of your diet. That's what I want to say I'm eating, but it's nowhere near that good.
                          Started my journey on May 22, 2010:

Beginning weight ~180
                          Current weight ~145

Nov. 9, 2009........Nov. 9, 2010.....Jun. 17, 2011
                          LDL 155...............LDL 176............LDL 139
                          HDL 39................HDL 66..............HDL 95
                          TGL 154..............TGL 77..............TGL 49

Comment

Originally posted by kcult View Post
                            And I'm really envious of your diet. That's what I want to say I'm eating, but it's nowhere near that good.
                            I'm pretty happy with it, both price-wise and nourishment-wise. Took a lot of tweaking to get it to this point!

Comment

Update:

I had an upper GI series with small bowel follow-through that my doc said was completely normal, with no sign of reflux damage or any functional abnormalities. So apparently I'm just imagining the stuff bubbling back up my throat, the heavy discomfort in my chest, and the abdominal cramping. Oh, and the loud gurgles in my chest that others can hear from far across the room. My abdomen was cramping badly when they made me lie down after I drank the barium...

Additionally, I had a salivary adrenal test run which showed elevated cortisol around 4pm and around midnight. Noon cortisol was on high end of normal, too. (graph of levels attached). This means I probably don't have adrenal fatigue, but am well on my way toward it if my cortisol doesn't chill out.

The lab also tested for gliadin antibodies and mine were elevated, indicating some level of gluten intolerance, but my total SIgA was low. I dunno if I buy that intolerance result, though, as I don't know how accurate saliva tests are for food intolerances. Nevertheless, it worries me because I work at a bakery and I'm concerned that inhaling/touching glutenous substances may be preventing me from getting over these health issues. I haven't eaten anything with gluten in it in months, so if that test means anything, the anti-bodies are being triggered by the gluten exposure I get at the bakery. Ugggh.

I'm getting some bloodwork done tomorrow (ANA, ESR, RNP, anti-gliadin antibodies, and some tests for lupus and lyme like I mentioned earlier). After that, I don't know where to go next; ferritin, D3 and a repeated full thyroid panel are my thoughts as of now.

My doctor basically said there's not much he can do based on the test results, though he said I should make a follow-up appointment with him and an appointment with a nutritionist to talk about a gluten-free diet (lol).

I'm starting to feel like a hypochondriac for telling my family and friends that I'm feeling 50% here, I'm in pain, my skin doesn't heal and I've lost 1/4-1/3 of my hair and eyelashes, when all of these tests are normal. No one seems to believe me when I say I'm sick.

If anyone could offer any input or advice about any of this, I would greatly appreciate it. I love how the members of this forum are tuned in to so many different health issues and methods of restoring health, and am hoping I can get to the bottom of this with some help. Thanks for reading my babbles!
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by QuirkyPixy; 11-18-2010, 06:41 PM.

Comment

I really feel for you. Have you tried an elimination diet? Even for stuff you think youre tolerating, including spices, herbs etc. I know myself I break out from dairy and nuts, also have some problems with fruits and nightshades.

And also have you tried to pause the vitamins/supplements, and then reintroducing one at a time to see if youre sensitive to any of them? I started to break out like crazy some time after I started to add more supplements, didnt figure that out right away but I then paused all for a week and reintroduced one at a time and I was able to pinpoint a couple that broke me out.

Other then that, best thing Ive done for my facial acne is probably to not use any products at all on my face. I only use water, not even every day, more every second day, and I barely splash water on my face and then pat dry super gently.

And also, give this lifestyle a long chance, it takes time to reverse years and years of bad/conventional habits
                                Last edited by jimpag; 11-19-2010, 07:04 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X