Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blood Pressure

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by Grok View Post
    Took another reading today. My first number was over 200.
    Grok - please - see your doctor for this tomorrow morning. I bet you want it to get better with lifestyle changes, and it may, but you are playing with seriously high numbers. Systolic BP over 200 requires immediate action. You are risking a stroke.

    Please let us hear from you how it went, if you see your doctor.
    Never eat anything bigger than your own head.

    Comment


    • #32
      YESSS! The PB lifestyle has definitely controlled and lowered my high BP. Felt it in 2 days when starting and my doc eliminated one med and reduced the other to 1/4. I was usually 150/100 w/o meds then under 120/80 with meds. 2 days into PB, I felt very dizzy with 105/60. I was taking Amlodipine (10mg) and lisinopril (40g). My Ca score was 42 which means small amount atherosclerosis.

      If you can't go for clean cuts of meat and fruit/veggies, be extremely wary of anything in a package or from primal choices if you eat out. HFCS, MSG, and Na is hidden and in almost any prepared product from restaurants. Obviously, simple processed sugars and grains will sabotaged your efforts.
      During breakfast today, Abby asks, "How would this juicy, fat, sweet blackberry taste on top of my bacon?" I said it would taste BerrySwine...;-P

      Comment


      • #33
        I'll let others speak to the need for immediate action on your BP, medicinally speaking. I don't know anything about that.

        I think that in your shoes, I'd immediately seek simple, plain meats with no added salt, simple veggies with no added salt, even if that meant picking up a rotisserie chicken from the store (wait, do they inject it with saline solution? IDK) & canned veggies, just for the first week, till you learn to cook one thing. If the issue is processed salt (and a lot of BP appears to be more from a history of excess sugar/grains), you've gotta find a right-away way to eat without it.

        So you have a pan - do you have any pots? sm, med, or large? Do you have a Trader Joe's or health food store around? An oven? grill? That'll help determine what simple food would be best to learn first...

        As far as steak, I prefer a grill, but same technique in a pan - heat the pan on Med-Hi till it's good and hot. Add a "pat" of unsalted butter (you can use the tablespoon measurements on the butter wrapper and cut off one tablespoon) and just when it's melted, add the steak. Cook it about 2 min on the first side, then two minutes on the second side. You can sprinkle pepper & REAL salt before or after cooking (folks argue about which is best). Eat with bagged salad, unless you're feeling primal and want to tear up your own lettuce.

        REAL salt means something that's chunky and gray and says something about "unrefined" or "dried only by wind and sun" or something like that on the label. It shouldn't say anything about "supplies iodine" or "doesn't supply iodine" - afaik, only refined salts have those labels.

        A pot roast would be a great, very simple second dish, or roasted chicken. Really, really simple. Taco meat is also very easy, and easy to make your own seasoning, but you have to buy some spices first.
        5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
        Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
        Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
        Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
        ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by MamaGrok View Post
          I think that in your shoes, I'd immediately seek simple, plain meats with no added salt, simple veggies with no added salt, even if that meant picking up a rotisserie chicken from the store (wait, do they inject it with saline solution? IDK) & canned veggies, just for the first week, till you learn to cook one thing.
          This I can answer. No, they don't inject the chicken with saline solution. They brine it. Which means they soak the chicken overnight in a saline solution.
          back to regular programming
          Calm the f**k down.

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by Joe View Post
            Grok - please - see your doctor for this tomorrow morning. I bet you want it to get better with lifestyle changes, and it may, but you are playing with seriously high numbers. Systolic BP over 200 requires immediate action. You are risking a stroke.

            Please let us hear from you how it went, if you see your doctor.
            Thanks for your concern. Today my BP was 156/96 after 1 1/2 days of sodium free eating. I think I can say without any doubt that I am one of those rare individuals who have a sensitivity to salt. I think I will be okay. Just need to be extra mindfull of sodium levels of the food I eat.

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by MamaGrok View Post
              Would you like one simple & really hearty comfort food recipe?
              Hey Mama, still waiting on this recipe! Latest reading today was 165/85. Trying to cut down on all forms of salt for now. I have all kinds of cookware, I just don't know how to use them. The rotisserie chicken is loaded with sodium.

              Comment


              • #37
                Hey Grok,

                You're gonna have to help yourself a little bit on the cooking front here. Go buy a basic, basic cookbook. The Betty Crocker Picture Cookbook comes to mind. Or Mark Bittman's book looks good: http://www.amazon.com/How-Cook-Every.../dp/0471789186

                I hated cooking when I was 20 - couldn't microwave a hotdog- but I've been cooking for 20 some years now and I can hold my own in the kitchen - and I love it. I can bake a beautiful baguette and the absolute best pecan pie you will ever eat (or never eat, now that we're primal - damn I miss baking!) To me, the most satisfying cooking and the most satisfying meals are the simplest to prepare, and that fits in SO well with pb! Get outdoors and grill a steak and make a salad. There's lots of trial and error, but you can turn it into a game and have fun with it. So you overcook a steak; not your ideal scene maybe, but you'd have to really overcook it for it to be bad. Do you have a friend who cooks? Find a single woman who cooks... assuming you're single. Put out an ad in the personals looking for a female tutor (I'm thinking like a married man here). Most cooks love to teach what they know. A roast chicken is incredibly easy. Same with steaks. Get a cookbook, read through and find a recipe for something that looks do-able and ask anybody here if you're unsure of anything. The recipes on this forum are great! I'm just up the road from you... same time zone, call me if you have questions about cooking something. I've sent you my phone #.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by Grok View Post
                  What kind of test will test for this? Do I just ask for a "sodium sensitivity" test?
                  Although its accuracy for actual diagnosing sodium sensitivity is controversial the Sodium test is part of a basic metabolic panel. Here is a basic link to all that it entails. http://www.labtestsonline.org/unders...dium/test.html
                  "The power that made the body HEALS the body" - B.J. Palmer

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Hey, did you see my steak "recipe" up above? I know, it's so simple it hardly qualifies as a "recipe," but the same is true of my roast chicken and 80% of all I make!

                    If you have a 4 qt pot or Dutch oven, I'll be back with a pot roast recipe. Easy and just unbelievably comforting & nourishing.

                    Here ya go - buy a chicken. Mix together 1 tablespoon unrefined sea salt (can skip if you feel you need to), 1 tablespoon pepper, and 1 tablespoon minced garlic (you can buy this already minced in jars in the produce section, usually). I like to add a tablespoon or rosemary or thyme (regular dried herbs from the baking aisle, can crumble them up if you want), too. Add 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil or melted butter. Preheat the oven to 425. Get out a roasting pan & rack.

                    Wash and pat the skin dry with paper towel (I do NOT know why, but everyone says to do this). Pull the giblets & neck out of the gut cavity if they're in there.

                    Rub the chicken all over with the herb mix. Gently separate the skin from the flesh in a few places and get the rub under the skin as far as you can. Put some rub in the cavity. Wash hands well if this is a conventionally raised chicken!!

                    Put the chicken breast side down (the breasts are the really fleshy side) on roasting rack and bake for 15min. Flip it over (you can skip this and just do it breast side up from the beginning) and change oven to 350. Roast for (20min per pound - the 15 you already did), then check with meat thermometer in breast or thigh (be sure you're not touching bone) to see it's 175.

                    Remove, cover loosely with foil for 5 min (it will go up to 180 now, and the juices will redistribute so that they don't all pour out when you cut it and leave you with dry chicken - this is called "tenting"). Cut and serve. I always mangle mine b/c I don't know how to cut it, but it tastes good.

                    Making pan gravy is easy, too, but I'll leave you to find your cookbook for that one. I love Joy of Cooking - especially a pre-1970 edition, but mine is recent. Most of its recipes use real ingredients, not as much of this margarine/spread/shortening crap.

                    Roasting a chicken takes a lot of words to write out, but in reality, it's very simple - wash, dry, season, roast, tent, done.

                    ETA when you're done, throw the carcass and all the bones in a big pot, cover with water, add a splash (about 1/4 cup) of vinegar, bring to boil, lower to simmer, and let simmer for 12-36 hrs. Broth. (can use a crockpot, too)
                    5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
                    Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
                    Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
                    Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
                    ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by Grok View Post
                      I think I can say without any doubt that I am one of those rare individuals who have a sensitivity to salt. I think I will be okay. Just need to be extra mindfull of sodium levels of the food I eat.
                      I was thinking more about this tonight. And I might be wrong about the sodium and me being sensitive to it. I think the problem might be that I am eating grain fed meat.

                      Initially I was able to get my BP down to almost normal levels, and now it is back up again. I made several changes in my eating habits which might have caused the reversal in my blood pressure.

                      I started eating chorizo and bacon from another store with my breakfasts. At first I thought it was the sodium levels in the meats I was eating, but after a slap to the forehead this evening I came to the conclusion that it was the fact I was buying meat from the other store which has grain-fed meat.

                      I think the answer is obvious to me now. I don't know why I didn't realize it before. I'm going to start eating grass fed meat from now on to see if my theory is correct.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        I would advise you to buy a crockpot/slow cooker. It's hard to mess up, and you can cook enough for several meals if you freeze portions. Cooking isn't hard - following a recipe isn't difficult - if you can use a computer you can follow a recipe.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by Grok View Post
                          I was thinking more about this tonight. And I might be wrong about the sodium and me being sensitive to it. I think the problem might be that I am eating grain fed meat.

                          Initially I was able to get my BP down to almost normal levels, and now it is back up again. I made several changes in my eating habits which might have caused the reversal in my blood pressure.

                          I started eating chorizo and bacon from another store with my breakfasts. At first I thought it was the sodium levels in the meats I was eating, but after a slap to the forehead this evening I came to the conclusion that it was the fact I was buying meat from the other store which has grain-fed meat.

                          I think the answer is obvious to me now. I don't know why I didn't realize it before. I'm going to start eating grass fed meat from now on to see if my theory is correct.
                          In the mean time while you are hypothesizing, experimenting, and trying to figure it out, you may want to consider telling your family, friends, and neighbors to keep an eye out on you and that if you suddenly become unable to communicate with them for some strange reason that you are likely having a stroke and need to get to the hospital immediately.
                          “It is a truism that almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creeds into law if it acquires the political power to do so, and will follow it by suppressing opposition, subverting all education to seize early the minds of the young, and by killing, locking up, or driving underground all heretics.”
                          —Robert A. Heinlein

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by Asturian View Post
                            In the mean time while you are hypothesizing, experimenting, and trying to figure it out, you may want to consider telling your family, friends, and neighbors to keep an eye out on you and that if you suddenly become unable to communicate with them for some strange reason that you are likely having a stroke and need to get to the hospital immediately.
                            I don't think I'm that bad off. I'm using a portable monitor now, and the readings I'm getting from it are much lower than the readings I get at the pharmacy's machine. For instance, I just took my first reading this morning and it was 116/72.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by Vick View Post
                              I'm down from 198 / 120 to around 145/ 90.

                              Blood work and blood sugar all are very good. But I can't seem to get down into a nice safe normal range. The Dr. is thinking of Beta Blockers to act on the fight / flight response.

                              As a side note a previous Dr. put me on high blood pressure pills at the age of 24. (30 years ago). After a couple of months I was off them only because I learned to quit worrying about things I can't control.


                              I'm open to any suggestions that I may try before taking the BB's.
                              In addition to diet, I think exercise is key to controlling these items. I know it helps in my case...

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by Grok View Post
                                I don't think I'm that bad off. I'm using a portable monitor now, and the readings I'm getting from it are much lower than the readings I get at the pharmacy's machine. For instance, I just took my first reading this morning and it was 116/72.

                                Well that makes a big difference. I guess that pharmacy is doing their best to sell BP meds eh?

                                Congrats on solving your issue.
                                “It is a truism that almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creeds into law if it acquires the political power to do so, and will follow it by suppressing opposition, subverting all education to seize early the minds of the young, and by killing, locking up, or driving underground all heretics.”
                                —Robert A. Heinlein

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X