The 'Financial" Primal Blueprint

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is so funny... OMG I love it!

I learned about Dave Ramsey and Primal within about a 5 week timeframe of eachother. There are 2 women who were very influencial in my life at that particular time and one exposed me to MDA and PB and the other DR... then we swapped... I exposed the DR chick to PB and the other friend to DR... and now the three of us have 3 things in common. These are my fellow terpers and I LOVE them... I miss them tons.

DR hasn't helped me get out of debt yet... but he has given me the tools I need to get there. I have an entire blog dedicated to the way I choose to live which is involving the three most important books I have read: Primal Blueprint, Total Money Makeover and The Secret... with these tools I am an entirely new person.

<3 Great thread! I love DR! I also Love PB... Interesting how like-minds continuously amaze me...

Manda
    Live Like No One Else

http://primalterp.blogspot.com/

Comment

Dave Ramsey totally changed my life.

Man, I could write a book about him/this, but I'll leave it at that.

Today I am living like no one else so that later I can live like no one else (in Paris!).

P.S.
      I am paying CASH for school and CASH for my wedding/honeymoon.

Cash is king. Debt is dumb.
      Last edited by TigerLily; 08-20-2010, 03:04 PM.
      "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

I didn't know what to expect when I started this post. I thought the two (PB and DR) kind of go together, but its very encouraging to see a lot of other people making that connection, either intentionally or just through the desire to simply life.

GROK ON!

Comment

I feel like I could never, ever, ever, ever, ever get out of debt. And, you know what my only debt problem is?

Student loans.

Not credit cards, or other loans. Everything outside of Student Loans is paid. I just can't pay these because they are absolutely staggering in size.

Comment

The I AM Presence is the source of my life, I shall not want. Put God first and all things shall be added unto you, etc.

Comment

Man, I saw Griff's response and I miss him.

Comment

Great thread, I never knew there were so many fellow debt-haters out there.

We paid our mortgage years ago, before children, and I have been able to be a stay home mother ever since (22 years now, for which I am always grateful to my dh). Personally never had a credit card, his is used for business purposes and for the likes of holidays, pretty much always paid off each month.

The freedom this has given us in our lifestyle is priceless.

Originally posted by kitana View Post
                Knowing you can pay for things is ever so much more fun that spending for things and hoping you can cover it.
                Couldn't agree more.
                Annie Ups the Ante
                http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread117711.html

Comment

Yep, we've done DR too. Far from being debt free but we've paid off a lot and the snowball keeps getting bigger.
                  We are aiming to be debt free by the time we're 40, which is 6 years away.
                  We have about $100k left, including mortgage, but we've paid about $25k off in credit cards and student loans. Yay us!
                  Needing some accountability, so here's my stats:
                  34yrs old, 5'5"
                  CW: 163lbs (07/2014)
                  GW: 135lbs or less
                  Eating mainly paleo, but including a bit of white rice (don't call the Paleo Police!)

Comment

Most people don't understand that, working = selling their adrenal glands to the highest bidder, work = stress. A lot of peeps choose to sell the use of their adrenals for a low price for low intensity usage but for a very large time period.

I used to be this way before PB too, now I have learnt about stress and the body I have changed tack...

I endeavour to sell my adrenals at a very high price for intense usage but only for a short period. In other words do a very stressful, high paying job/business, but for as minimal time in a year as possible (ie rest more time than working).

That's some financial PB for ya's

Sent from my iPhone
                    A little primal gem - My Success Story
                    Weight lost in 4 months - 29kg (64 lbs)

Comment

We are big Dave Ramsey people, too. Only debt is mortgage- gone shortly. Cash flowing college. Head hits the pillow at night with no worries. Do it people. If you really have issues with big banks - stop giving them all of your money, live within your means and have peace. We worked hard to get to this point - a couple years of lean living, but well worth it. Excess stuff is a trap, and debt is slavery.

Dave Ramsey does equate healthy money habits with weight loss. It's simple, but it isn't always easy.

I must also add that, I see people complain about he cost of eating primal, well, when you have other spending under control, paying some extra for quality food is much more doable - and far more important for quality of life.

I also saw Griff's post, and although I wasn't here when he was I miss him too. He was a positive influence on this forum.

Comment

For an even more primally-aligned financial blogger, visit Mr. Money Mustache. He even has a post regarding the Mark Sisson and Primal Blueprint.

He is fun, pragmatic, and gets results.

Comment

Dave Ramsey totally changed my life. I was able to break a 20 year credit card addiction and get out of massive debt and stay that way. I got out of debt and broke my addiction five years ago, then I dropped off the plan and I am now getting back onto it. It is funny to compare credit cards to bread and pasta but it makes so much sense. Another good blog is mrmoneymustache.com. It has the same principles but is a bit more extreme.

Comment

What I like about Mr. money Mustache is not just his ideas on how to achieve financial independence, but the philosophy on why to try to achieve financial independence and the ancillary benefits of the strategies to health, community, and environment. In essence, if you take care of your bottom line well, you also help bottom lines in communities, ecosystems, and deeper aspects of self.

Comment

Originally posted by kingofbaconandeggs
                              Kudos to everyone being or wanting to be financially responsible. Cash flow and budgeting are cornerstones. Personally I do not like Dave Ramsey's cut because while he talks about money, never once have I heard him describe what constitutes money. No, I have not read his books but I have listened to many of his podcasts.

Can anyone here list the 5 properties that define a good money?
                              Surely from an individual point of view there is only one property that counts:
                              Other people will accept it as money.
                              Anything else is theorising for national policy-making.

Comment

No debt for many years. Paid off one mortgage in seven years. Paid off a small one in two. Probably in my whole life I've carried a year's worth of cc debt. I learned early that every time you spend a dollar on a credit card and don't pay if off that month, you're paying $1.09 or more for that dollar.

Metal is good money because it is tangible. It may go up and down in value per artificial dollars, but when the poo hits the fan, paper is just a good way to start fire, while metal endures. Since it needs to be easily exchanged, it should be small enough to be transactional; a bar of silver does you little good if you just want to exchange something for a loaf of bread.

You should be able to make money from good money. In that way, historically, your paid off home can be considered good money. There will be fluctuations, and your home may be worth different amounts at different times, but over time, it will most likely increase in value. IOW, don't ever take easy loans from people who offer you 125% of its value unless you're planning on defaulting and going underground. In addition, your paid off home can be used as collateral for short term loans, and some of that is tax deductable.

Paper money is okay as far as it being easy to carry and easy to use for both small and large transactions. The biggest problem with it is that it's now based on a fairy tale.

That's not five, but it's a couple.
                                "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

Comment

Working...
                                X