• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Vitamin D Thread

It's about time we have one of these

Gotta love William Davis, MD of heartscan:
    http://heartscanblog.blogspot.com/20...vitamin-d.html

Please test your D levels. There is a $65 home test (fingerstick) that is accurate, precise and available everywhere (except New York state...)

grassrootshealth.org

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Fascinating article. So I'll up my Vit D supps! However, I know I feel better when I've been in the sun for any decent length of time. What is doing that, if I'm too old to be making vitamin D?!

Comment

You're never too old to make *some* D from sun. The efficiency of the process just declines over time.

Test, test and retest. Detailed testing information is in my sig line. Use labcorp or ZRT - not quest.

Comment

So here is an odd question, has anyone else noticed that supplementing vitamin D actually reduces instances of sunburn?

Here is why I ask. I am a fair skinned "ginger" kid, and will burn pretty quickly when out in the sun. I have been supplementing vitamin D for a few weeks. Recently I was at a theme park with my kids all day and did not use sunscreen, opting for a hat and clothing choices (had a long sleeve shirt and long pants in a backpack). The entire day my arms and legs were exposed. In the past I would have had a mild sunburn within a few hours, but I walked away that day without any sun burn.

Since that day I have paid more attention to how the sun affects my skin while doing things such as yard work and there seems to be a noticeable difference in the rate at which I will get a sun burn. Actually I haven't had any sun burn and haven't really tried to avoid it.

Just wondering if anyone else had similar experiences or if it is even related to vitamin D or just eating healthier.
        So remember, Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!

Blog - Size of the Fight...

Comment

I got 45 minutes of full body sun today. Now I'm a slightly darker shade of paste
          Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Comment

I definitely see a difference in my ability to tolerate the sun now, although I'm not yet supplementing D. I try to get out daily, but often fail. I know the diet is doing something; probably my increased outdoor time is helping?
            5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
            Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
            Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
            Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
            ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

cillacat your possessed with vitamin info, thank you, I've learned a lot from your posts.
              Whether you think you can..... or you think you can't..... your 100 % correct.

Comment

Originally posted by polyclef View Post
                So here is an odd question, has anyone else noticed that supplementing vitamin D actually reduces instances of sunburn?

....snip....

Just wondering if anyone else had similar experiences or if it is even related to vitamin D or just eating healthier.
                There are so many instances of this being reported. I can't wait till someone studies it.

Comment

i emailed you about this, but wondering where you would suggest getting D3 supplements from?

Comment

The people who've been assessed as producing less vitamin D as they age presumably eat according to CW. So - lots of carbs and regard fats as evil.
                    PB people eat much more fat and seem to be reporting greater tolerance of sunshine without burning - certainly I am finding that I can stay in the sun much longer without burning and tan more easily.

Is it possible that higher fat intake protects skin? And could it also mean that the higher fat intake increases the ability to make Vitamin D? So meaning that older people, eating PB, will in fact not be losing the ability to make vitamin D at all; the declining production of vit D manufacture in CW eaters being due not to age, but to the cumulative effect of the CW diet - specifically lack of fat in the diet?

Comment

breadsauce - I'll buy it. Or something along those lines - I'm so so so tired of hearing everything under the sun blamed on age, and so unwilling to believe the last 20 years of our life are meant to be decrepit, that I'm an easy sell on that kind of thing.

(If I hear FIL tell my children one more time "Wait until you get old like me and YouHaveToGetUpToPeeSeveralTimesANight/YouCan'tGetUpOffTheFloorByYourself/It'sOverwhelminglyHardToWalkUpAHillAnymore" ... he's not yet 70. My grandfather, who naturally ate nearly primally, and great-grandmother and dh's grandmother all lived to nearly 90 or 90+, independently till their last year. Granddaddy was riding bikes in his 90s. I believe that a long healthy life with a rapid decline in the last few days/weeks/maybemonths is much more natural than 20 years of decline.)
                      Last edited by MamaGrok; 08-19-2010, 05:17 AM. Reason: spastic typing
                      5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
                      Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
                      Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
                      Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
                      ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

Originally posted by MamaGrok View Post
                        breadsauce - I'll buy it. Or something along those lines - I'm so so so tired of hearing everything under the sun blamed on age, and so unwilling to believe the last 20 years of our life are meant to be decrepit, that I'm an easy sell on that kind of thing.

(If I hear hear FIL tell my children one more time "Wait until you get old like me and YouHaveToGetUpToPeeSeveralTimesANight/YouCan'tGetUpOffTheFloorByYourself/It'sOverwhelminglyHardToWalkUpAHillAnymore" ... he's not yet 70. My grandfather, who naturally ate nearly primally, and great-grandmother and dh's grandmother all lived to nearly 90 or 90+, independently till their last year. Granddaddy was riding bikes in his 90. I believe that a long healthy life with a rapid decline in the last few days/weeks/maybemonths is much more natural than 20 years of decline.)
                        Totally agree! I know an old chap in the village where my parents live (North of England) well into his 90s and he gardens, decorates, walks miles - fit and well. He is planning next years vegetable garden already! I like that idea - the concept of years in a nursing home doesn't sound right AT ALL to me.

Comment

Originally posted by breadsauce View Post
                          Fascinating article. So I'll up my Vit D supps! However, I know I feel better when I've been in the sun for any decent length of time. What is doing that
                          Sunlight triggers many physiological changes in the eyes, pineal glands, brain which may or may not be related to D production (some certainly are but definitely not all).

There are definitely benefits to be had from sunlight exposure that we cannot get from D supplements alone. Research in this area is *brand new*. Afaik, only one study has so far been published to show this clearly....they used a mouse MS model --> UV exposure v. vitamin d. The study abstract at pubmed.

If anyone has access to the full article, I'd be ever so grateful for the PDF.

Comment

Originally posted by polyclef View Post
                            Sungrazer has!

John Cannell's daugher has!

he is the founder and director of the non-profit Vitamin D Council and while he's not a researcher (he's a psychiatrist) he has a more thorough view of the entire vitamin D picture than any one else anywhere. His daughter is a redhead.
                            http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/newsl...2006-aug.shtml

Originally posted by John Cannell, MD from vitamindcouncil.org
                            My teenage daughter, who used to burn easily, discovered this. Against my advice, she took 5,000 units of vitamin D every day and regularly went into a sun tan booth as well. Now all her friends are begging her to tell them why she never burned and got so incredibly tan, tanner than she ever got before. Furthermore, burning in vitamin D deficient people actually may have an evolutionary benefit. Burning heats the skin and the final step in the production of vitamin D is driven by high skin temperatures. It also makes evolutionary and physiological sense that high vitamin D blood levels would facilitate rapid tanning and thus protect against vitamin D toxicity. Just remember, burning is dangerous and should always be avoided.
                            Keep in mind that this should not be attempted without testing D levels every three months. D toxicity cases are showing up as more and more are taking high doses of D without really knowing what they're doing.

Comment

http://www.cholesterol-and-health.com/Vitamin-D.html

"One of cholesterol's many functions in the body is to act as a precursor to vitamin D.

Vitamin D can also be obtained from foods. Interestingly, foods that provide this vitamin -- all of which are animal foods -- tend to be high in cholesterol.

Since cholesterol is a precursor to vitamin D, inhibiting the synthesis of cholesterol will also inhibit the synthesis of vitamin D."

Those who are on statins; therefore, could also have problems getting enough Vitamin D.

Comment

Working...
                              X