No announcement yet.

The Vitamin D Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ummm... about the outbreak... Yep. Felt one coming on this morning and can already tell now... I am tired and bogged down and this prolly isnt helping... Shd I just get the C and D for now, take care of this sucker? How long will I have to wait to get it here? I really dont wanna go back on the meds but I might if I have to today... (this is my 3rd in a month and a half, basically when I get off meds-it happens) I hate this crap! I really want the D to work... I wish I had some right now!

<3

So what shd i do now? lol
    Live Like No One Else

http://primalterp.blogspot.com/

Comment

If you have the meds on hand, go on them! It's certainly not the worst thing in the world and will make a huge difference to your mental state which will in turn make a significant difference to your physical ability to fight the infection.

If you order from iherb.com before 11 pacific central time, they ship that day. There are various shipping options. Sometimes I choose next day simply b/c they discount shipping so much....but mostly I go for whatever shipping option is free

You really can get ANY oil based vitamin D anywhere and it'll be fine. If you pick up some gelcaps tomorrow you can take it orally AND pop a capsule and apply it topically.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

Originally posted by cillakat View Post
        If you have the meds on hand, go on them! It's certainly not the worst thing in the world and will make a huge difference to your mental state which will in turn make a significant difference to your physical ability to fight the infection.

If you order from iherb.com before 11 pacific central time, they ship that day. There are various shipping options. Sometimes I choose next day simply b/c they discount shipping so much....but mostly I go for whatever shipping option is free

You really can get ANY oil based vitamin D anywhere and it'll be fine. If you pick up some gelcaps tomorrow you can take it orally AND pop a capsule and apply it topically.
        K i think for the time being I am just gonna get some d gel caps and some vit c and load down on it to try to bust this sucker out before it comes on harder... then I can get the others from your website probably next pay-period just so I have them ... I just would REALLY prefer not to go back on the meds for the 3rd time in a month... I hate meds.
        Live Like No One Else

http://primalterp.blogspot.com/

Comment

I just got the grassroots D-Action finger poker kit in the mail ... been waiting all day to get up the nerve to use it! Tell me it doesn't hurt that much, even if you have absolutely NO experience using one, lol!

I'm thinking I'm going to test, then spend the next three months working hard on the daily sun (I'm in Atlanta, too, and it's still pretty intense at midday for a good while yet to come - we often spend an hour at midday outside during Sept and Oct, unsunscreened, w/o hats, sleeves, etc.), then re-test at my doc's office for a "yearly" check-up (haven't been there in 3 years), then go on the D through out the winter, do my next 6-month D-Action test when scheduled, and just look and see what's happening. I'd really like to see if I can get any kind of effect from the sun before starting the D3.

I wish I had learned about the grassroots program at the beginning of this summer!
          5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
          Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
          Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
          Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
          ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

Originally posted by MamaGrok View Post
            I just got the grassroots D-Action finger poker kit in the mail ... been waiting all day to get up the nerve to use it! Tell me it doesn't hurt that much, even if you have absolutely NO experience using one, lol!
            I've done it three times now. It's no big deal. The first one terrified me and I put it off for like two weeks. Now I know it's really no big deal.

I'm thinking I'm going to test, then spend the next three months working hard on the daily sun (I'm in Atlanta, too, and it's still pretty intense at midday for a good while yet to come
            Unfortunately it's not the case. From midsept on, while there is often sufficient heat, there isn't sufficient UVB due to the angle of the sun entering the atmosphere.

- we often spend an hour at midday outside during Sept and Oct, unsunscreened, w/o hats, sleeves, etc.), then re-test at my doc's office for a "yearly" check-up (haven't been there in 3 years), then go on the D through out the winter, do my next 6-month D-Action test when scheduled, and just look and see what's happening. I'd really like to see if I can get any kind of effect from the sun before starting the D3.

No matter how much (or actually how little) D you get from sun, during the winter you'll need to supplement. Falling D levels (which happens in fall and winter) appear to be just as dangerous as low levels. The D you aren't getting from sun must be made up from supplements if optimal health is the goal.

K
            Last edited by cillakat; 08-25-2010, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Thanks for your responses!

I do plan to supplement this winter, if I didn't make that clear, although I always wonder: why do we need it? Shouldn't our bodies *expect* less sun in the winter?

Comment

The human genome evolved in the tropics, constant sun and as a result, consistent levels of 25(OH)D year round.

While we did develop some adaptations to deal with our northerly and southerly migraitions (light skin and a reliance on fatty fish and marine animals), it is far from ideal.

Vitamin D fluctuations simply don't support optimal health - especially over the course of long life.

Comment

So the idea is that we developed an enormous change in skin tone to enable us to absorb more D at non-tropical latitudes, but it's still just not quite enough?

I'm having a hard time with that.

I know the studies show that D levels in the 60ish range show a dramatic decrease in cancer rates, etc. Have there been any that show a significant improvement when comparing those who maintain a high level year-round vs. those whose levels are only "ideal" in the summer? Of course, D is a fat-soluble vitamin for a reason - how long does it take for levels to decrease a statistically significant amount?

I know very little about this topic! Just my general principle: "We were made for the sun." And the observation that the peoples studied by Weston Price had virtually no cancer, nor any of the other D-preventable diseases, and they did not supplement - but they did get 4-10 times the amount of vitamins A & D than the typical American diet of the 1930s, which was almost certainly higher in those than we are today with our "low fat" nonsense. They did this via food - fatty fish, grassfed butter/dairy, fermented cod liver oil, & pastured organ meats.

I lean toward following their model, which is why I've never actually considering supplementing before. OTOH, I simply just don't outside enough. But they did - year-round - and didn't suffer from the D-preventable diseases, despite not supplementing. What's your take on that? (This is not a reason for me not to supplement - again, I just have no realistic expectation of spending all day in the sun like they did. I'm just wondering to what extent our vitamin D intake in the winter, *if we did get enough sun*, is really inadequate, purely because of sun angle.)

Comment

I've been wondering about this for a while, so I'll go ahead and post here (it's to do with Vitamin D and neurotransmitters.)

Like Wilson, I spend the majority of my time indoors and London has a bad tendency of having really unreliable weather, even during the summer. Constant fluctuations between heavy rain and sun tends to happen on some days, and it happened this summer as well. I'm pretty certain that I'm Vitamin D deficient, so I'll get a 5000iu supplement ASAP to help.

I tend to have SAD symptoms all-year-round, but using a light box has little to no effect in alleviating my symptoms. I sleep too much, wake up unrefreshed, and have a hard time enjoying myself when I'm constantly fatigued and down in the dumps with depression. I'm completely Primal, so I actually eat well enough not to have carbohydrate cravings in an effort to boost serotonin, and I exercise enough to help (which does, but not enough to make me feel as good as I want to. I constantly feel like I'm dragging).

The light box I use is the Apollo GoLite P1, which has been effective for the majority of people. However, from what I've researched, Vitamin D is a fundamental building block in making neurotransmitters from amino acids:

The fat soluble vitamin D is confusingly named, as it is actually a powerful hormone. It has a major role in the conversion of the amino acids to neurotransmitters , tryptophan to serotonin, and tyrosine to dopamine and norepinephrine. It performs this role within the brain, and in the adrenal glands. Much of this is performed through vitamin D's close relationship with calcium, as calcium literally controls the communication between neurons (brain cells). This relationship with calcium is also why vitamin D is important for bone health. The neurotransmitters serotonin, dopamine, and norepinephrine have a huge impact on mood, so if vitamin D is deficient and they are not produced in sufficient amounts, the result is depression. Since sun exposure and vitamin D production are much lower in the winter, most vitamin D deficiency related depression is in the form of SAD.
                    If this is true, then my problem isn't primarily to do with a lack of natural light (which still plays an important part in regulating the circadian rhythm), but rather a chronic deficiency of Vitamin D. No Vitamin D, no building blocks, no neurotransmitters.

There is anecdotal evidence of one person who cured his SAD through Vitamin D supplementation, and in a similar situation to mine, light therapy proved mostly ineffective in reducing his symptoms than most people find (sunlight still had benefits). Being deficient in Vitamin D, perhaps I gain no benefit from the light therapy because I'm actually also deficient in the neurotransmitters needed to regulate my circadian rhythm (especially serotonin and melatonin).

Can anyone help me shed some light (pun definitely intended) on this?

Thanks!
                    Last edited by KG; 08-26-2010, 06:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by polyclef View Post
                      So here is an odd question, has anyone else noticed that supplementing vitamin D actually reduces instances of sunburn?
                      Yes! I have not burned since starting supping D. And I'm pale and have burned my whole life. I love it!!
                      My Before/After Pics
                      Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Comment

Originally posted by KG View Post
                        I've been wondering about this for a while, so I'll go ahead and post here (it's to do with Vitamin D and neurotransmitters.)

Like Wilson, I spend the majority of my time indoors and London has a bad tendency of having really unreliable weather, even during the summer. Constant fluctuations between heavy rain and sun tends to happen on some days, and it happened this summer as well. I'm pretty certain that I'm Vitamin D deficient, so I'll get a 5000iu supplement ASAP to help.

I tend to have SAD symptoms all-year-round, but using a light box has little to no effect in alleviating my symptoms. I sleep too much, wake up unrefreshed, and have a hard time enjoying myself when I'm constantly fatigued and down in the dumps with depression. I'm completely Primal, so I actually eat well enough not to have carbohydrate cravings in an effort to boost serotonin, and I exercise enough to help (which does, but not enough to make me feel as good as I want to. I constantly feel like I'm dragging).

The light box I use is the Apollo GoLite P1, which has been effective for the majority of people. However, from what I've researched, Vitamin D is a fundamental building block in making neurotransmitters from amino acids:

If this is true, then my problem isn't primarily to do with a lack of natural light (which still plays an important part in regulating the circadian rhythm), but rather a chronic deficiency of Vitamin D. No Vitamin D, no building blocks, no neurotransmitters.

There is anecdotal evidence of one person who cured his SAD through Vitamin D supplementation, and in a similar situation to mine, light therapy proved mostly ineffective in reducing his symptoms than most people find (sunlight still had benefits). Being deficient in Vitamin D, perhaps I gain no benefit from the light therapy because I'm actually also deficient in the neurotransmitters needed to regulate my circadian rhythm (especially serotonin and melatonin).

Can anyone help me shed some light (pun definitely intended) on this?

Thanks!

Both tryptophan and tyrosine must get pass the blood-brain barrier to make neurotransmitters. To do that, the body need an insulin spkie. Insulin is often thought of a a blood glucose regulator but actually insulin more of a nutrient storage hormone. Insulin acts like a gate keeper that allows nutrients into the various cells. The amino acids of tryptophan and tyrosine require this insulin gatekeeper to pass through the tightly gated blood-brain barrier.

Perhaps you are not generating enough insulin or maybe you are insulin resistant?
                        “It is a truism that almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creeds into law if it acquires the political power to do so, and will follow it by suppressing opposition, subverting all education to seize early the minds of the young, and by killing, locking up, or driving underground all heretics.”
                        —Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

I read mercola's book on sun exposure recently and off the top of my head I think he recommends a 25(OH)D level of around 55 nmol/l.

You think this level is too low or still within the optimal range?
                          "My mom made two dishes: Take it or Leave it." -- Stephen Wright, comedian

Comment

Well, I poked my finger today, but was reminded why it always took 3x as long for me to give blood as everyone else! It took forever just to get a drop big enough to fill one circle, and I had to use the second lancet to get enough blood for the second circle. Maybe some day I'll learn why I have such crazy low blood pressure (typically 90/60). Thyroid, maybe? I also have a very low basal temperature and fatigue and some other common signs, but not many of the ones people usually talk about.

Anyway, my D duty for the next 6 months is done! Not too big a deal.

Comment

Originally posted by KG View Post

There is anecdotal evidence of one person who cured his SAD through Vitamin D supplementation, and in a similar situation to mine, light therapy proved mostly ineffective in reducing his symptoms than most people find (sunlight still had benefits).
                              There is one study that shows D3 to be more effective than light box therapy for treating SAD. It's a small one and can probably be found at vitamindcouncil.org under Research -> Depression.

Comment

from the Vitamin D Council

In memory of one of the greatest contributors to human understanding of vitamin D...

Vitamin D researcher and expert, Dr. Frank C. Garland, peacefully left our Earthly plane on Tuesday, August 17 at UCSD Thornton Hospital after a nearly year-long illness.

Vitamin D Council extends our deepest condolences to the family and friends of Dr. Garland.

Dr. Garland, along with brother Dr. Cedric Garland, were the first to make the connection between vitamin D deficiency and cancer, igniting the interest of the scientific community. Today, there is evidence of as many as 20 different cancers that are responsive to vitamin D and more may be found.

[my note: http://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl...ylo=&as_vis=0]

For his work in the area of vitamin D and cancer prevention, Dr. Garland received the Arnold-Rikli Prize for Advancement in the Field of Photobiology.

In 2006, the International Journal of Epidemiology re-published, in its original form, the 1980 article by the Garlands concerning vitamin D and cancer prevention entitled Do sunlight and vitamin D reduce the likelihood of colon cancer?, followed by a set of commentaries on the importance of this seminal paper.

Dr. Garland's legacy is that of an invaluable gift bestowed upon humanity, a gift that will positively impact the health of many future generations.

Comment

Working...
                                X