• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obama defends right to build mosque near 9/11 site

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-10973459
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

From Lew Rockwell:

Forget the Islamic Cultural Center in Lower Manhattan. What about the huge and ugly US occupation base near Hiroshima?
    Randal
    AKA: Texas Grok

Originally posted by texas.grok
    Facebook is to intelligence what a black hole is to light
    http://hardcoremind.com/

Comment

He's absolutely correct.

Comment

They have every right to build their mosque there. I think it's in extremely poor taste and, IMO, to be so blatantly hurtful to the people of NY doesn't seem to be in keeping with what people of faith should do. But they have a right to build it there.

I hate to say it....Man, I really hate to say it, but I agree with the President on this one. *shudder*
        Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Comment

Yet another reason why I love america. Freedom.

Comment

They have every right to build there, indeed. That's the problem. Why would they?

Think about it. If that mosque gets bombed, attacked, vandalized, etc, by some angry American mob, you can't say you didn't see it coming.

Comment

Because we have freedom of religion, thank God. (and your "blame the victim" prose is frightening me.)

They have every right to build their mosque there. I think it's in extremely poor taste and, IMO, to be so blatantly hurtful to the people of NY doesn't seem to be in keeping with what people of faith should do.
              Yes. Exactly.
              5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
              Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
              Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
              Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
              ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

Originally posted by kennelmom View Post
                They have every right to build their mosque there. I think it's in extremely poor taste and, IMO, to be so blatantly hurtful to the people of NY doesn't seem to be in keeping with what people of faith should do. But they have a right to build it there.

I hate to say it....Man, I really hate to say it, but I agree with the President on this one. *shudder*
                I also agree with the President on this one. Freedom of religion in this country means freedom for all religions. In poor taste it might be, but that's our country and our Constitution for you. If we insist that the government should step in on this, then a precedent is set for it stepping in on other religions, too. Better to not set the precedent and let the government stay out of this.
                Start weight: 250 - 06/2009
                Current weight: 199
                Goal: 145

Comment

Why can't we all just get along?

Comment

Even a blind squirrel will find a nut every once in a while.

Comment

Most Muslims were as appalled by the attacks the rest of America. America is the land of freedom, the land of opportunity, the land of being able to start clean. I see no point why they should not be able to build their mosque there. Will it be vandalized by asshats who don't realize (or don't care about) the difference between most Muslims and the few fundie freaks who did something appalling? Almost certainly. I see it as no different than putting a Christian church, a Jewish synagogue, or a Taoist temple there. If anything, I see it as taking the high road. Many who go there to pray will have lost something or someone that day, or will go there simply as an act of memory for those who died (within the towers and hostage on the plane) that had no relief but their faith. The way I see it, it's not an act of defiance or rubbing it in the face of America; it's a way of saying "we were there, too; we grieve as well." It's theNew York/ American Muslim memorial to that horrific day.
                      Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
                      My Latest Journal

Comment

Non-American perspective, for what it's worth... If you're going to say that your citizens have the freedom to worship whatever deity they decide to believe in, and do it however and wherever they want to, then you really have to stick to that without exception.
                        However... the people who want to build a mosque near that site are either aware of what will happen and planning on that for some reason (this is the cynical view) or they are so out of touch with the world that they may as well be committed, because as people have pointed out, that mosque is not going to survive a month.
                        The Primal Journey of Mr and Mrs Fist
                        Blog
                        sigpic

Comment

Catholisism and Cristianity have perpetrated some horrors in their time, too. There will alway be nutjobs who use holy writings to justify their horrendous actions. You don't kill the heard because of one mad cow. (usualy)
                          I wouldn't be surprised if a group of radical PBers blew the crap out of a flour processing plant! Heyyy, now...
                          sigpicI'm not old, I'm Vintage!

Comment

ISLAM DID NOT ATTACK AMERICA! Some psychotic thugs calling themselves Muslims attacked us. Did you bother to read about the center before shooting your mouth off? It is planned by moderate Muslims to teach people what Islam is really about. I can't think of a better place for it.

Did you flunk h.s. civics? Freedom isn't about you getting to do whatever you want. It is about freedom for everyone, not just you and people who think like you do.

Obama for President 2012
                            Last edited by Hedonist; 08-16-2010, 01:10 PM.
                            Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Comment

Originally posted by Hedonist View Post
                              Obama for President 2012
                              So this is how the world will end as predicted by the Maya...

Comment

Working...
                              X