Allergies Kicking my @ss

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allergies Kicking my @ss

It's ragweed season, and I'm officially miserable. The tiredness from my anti-histamines (Zyrtec, Benadryl) is only slightly more tolerable than the sneezing, coughs, itchy eyes, itchy skin and wheezing from the weed pollen. I've been doing allergy shots for almost two years, but I think this is my worst season ever. Are there any primal techniques I can use to cope with allergies? Any supplements that you would recommend?

I can feel you! Wish I could help. I am hoping someone else around here might have an answer. It has been a bad year for sure!

Comment

adrenal fatigue usually ties in with allergies. mine were nasty last summer. this year i am 100% better. i cut out sweet foods (some berries every now and again are okay). i added cod liver oil (a+d), coconut oil and some raw butter. these are the ONLY things that i've done. most important is cutting out sweets. try to keep stress low;-) fats, fats, fats! oh, and absolutely no grains or legumes.
      Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers

Comment

As god awful horrible as it is, the neti pot seems to help. As much as I hate using that thing, allergies are just enough worse that I still use it. Allegra and flonase has been an ok combo in the past as far as meds go. I'm in the same boat recently - no shots, but the allergies I thought I had dodged this year showed up this week.

Comment

Definitely not primal (but neither is Benadryl!) -- local honey. I take 1 tbsp every day of the year and my seasonal allergies have disappeared. I have gotten other people taking it also, and they have also gotten rid of their allergies. I figure I will gladly take the carbs in honey if I can give up the meds.

Comment

I started taking substantial doses of Omega 3 this spring and it's the first year in ages I have taken almost no Claritin. It's really amazing to me -- I take a capsule with breakfast and can feel any congestion/nose runniness go away within about half an hour.

Comment

neti-pot (or some version of it)
              quercetin (500-1000 mg several times per day)
              500 mg vitamin c - divided doses 6x per day (just pop one every few hours....carry them with you)

and really antihistamines are about the most benign medications out there. I wouldn't hestate to use them.

ETA: consider testing D levels as well....25(OH)D. See my linked doc below to find out more.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

I've been eating a little raw local honey each day, and I haven't had to take allergy meds at all the last couple years. Maybe not the most primal, but I definitely prefer it to drugs.

If my dust allergy kicks up, which is only when I'm cleaning, the neti pot really helps.

Comment

Originally posted by blank_faceplate View Post
                  As god awful horrible as it is, the neti pot seems to help. As much as I hate using that thing.....
                  I love using a neti pot. For the first time in 50+ years I can breathe through my nose.
                  My seasonal allergies have gotten progressively better over time. I don't know if it's diet or age, perhaps a combination of both.
                  My advise would then be to age healthfully--go ahead and give it a try! (-:
                  Retirement has afforded me the ultimate affluence, that of free time (Sahlins/Wells)

Comment

i love my neti pot. it cut WAY down on my use of antihistimines

Comment

Whats your diet? Gotta keep that inflammation low

Comment

Neti pot or the more expensive and more effective Grossan Hydropulse nasal irrigator help. But it is important to use the right saline solution mix to avoid sinus discomfort and to avoid making congestion worse. I've seen studies that found that too much or too little salt in the irrigation water will make long term congestion worse, though they may provide short term relief. It is best to use something pretty close to normal saline solution. I use 1 qt of purified water, one level teaspoon of sea salt, one half teaspoon of soda, and (optional) one half teaspoon of zylitol, an antibiotic sugar.

Following sinus irrigation, I have found the weird remedy of "oil pulling" to provide extremely effective relief from the nasal and sinus symptoms of seasonal allergies, including relief from bad congestion.

http://www.earthclinic.com/Remedies/oil_pulling.html

For me a mix of one-half coconut oil and one-half fresh olive oil seems to work best. Though you draw the oil vigorously through your teeth in your mouth for about ten minutes, and then spit it all out, a thin film/emulsion works its way up to the nasal and sinus area via the mucous membranes and seems to help deactivate pollen. A German physician has written on this subject. Also the process helps clear bad congestion well and provides lasting relief. If oil pulling gets a lot of gunk moving out of the sinuses and nasal passages, the apparent congestion may temporarily get worse as the stuff passes before it gets much better.

If you can get past the apparent craziness of the remedy, it can be very effective in clearing really congested sinuses and keeping them clear. It is very important to take care not to aspirate the oil solution, i.e. avoid any chance of getting it down the wrong tube and into the lungs before you spit it out.
                        Last edited by Paleo Man; 08-14-2010, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Sorry about the delay in replying. My allergies have been so bad that I've been doing nothing but working and then sitting in front of the TV wishing I was dead (not really dead, but you know what I mean).

What has brought me the most relief is Zytec in the morning, two salads a day, lots and lots of vitamin C containing fruit (especially peaches), and Benadryl before bed. My diet is over 80% primal. My only non-primal indulgence is a drink in the evenings, which I haven't really been doing because I feel so lousy.

Last summer, I was eating local honey every day, but I was having honey on toast. Obviously, that is far from primal. I think I'm going to start eating honey every day again, but this time without the toast. My symptoms were so much better last summer than this summer.

I would do a Neti Pot, but my primary symptoms are skin and chest-related (almost asthma, but not quite). Too bad they don't have a Neti Pot for our lungs.

Thank you all for your advice.

Comment

I have some experience with this -- like 50 years of it. The last two, I've barely had a single sneeze.

The breakthrough: I read Elaine Gottschall's "Breaking the Vicious Cycle" in February 09, and started her system of eating, which is intended mainly to help people with Crohn's Disease, ulcerative colitis, IBS, and autistic children. Since hay fever is related to "leaky gut", I figured it was one thing I hadn't tried. It worked a treat. I coasted right through hay fever season like it wasn't there. This year, I haven't been quite as careful to follow her "Specified Carbohydrate Diet" recommendations to the letter, but the hay fever is still a lot better.

She says that when bad flora predominate in the gut, the enzymes to break down complex carbohydrates (starches) and disaccharides (sucrose and lactose, mainly) can't reach them. Hence the undigested carbs remain in the gut, feeding the Evildoers. The answer is to stop eating them, but one can eat good fats, protein, and simple sugars, such as those found in fruit or honey. I developed a big honey habit, which may also have helped with the hay fever, but kept me from losing a single ounce (when I have about 80 pounds I seriously need to shed.) Eating a lot of probiotics, like apple cider vinegar, kombucha, kim chee, real live sauerkraut, and well-made yoghurt can also help heal the gut, as can taking glutamine, an amino acid which nourishes the gut and helps the "villi" heal. It's holes in the ends of the villi which let big foreign proteins into the bloodstream, where they cause immune system furor, hence the over-reaction to pollen when it gets to the mucus membranes.

I have since learned that fructose has far more to do with Metabolic Syndrome than just straight starches, and that honey is 70% fructose. My honey days, alas, are over. Fructose, especially when combined with purines (beer is very high, and so is liver), raises uric acid, and it's the uric acid which leads to insulin resistance, high blood pressure, belly fat, and the rest of it.

Armed at last with this knowledge, I am finally hoping to shed some belly fat without draconian measures.

Now, what can you do RIGHT NOW, since the SC Diet takes awhile to kick in?

I found in the bad old days that my hay fever would halve if I just cut out dairy. No doubt if I had also gone ahead and stopped eating gluten, some more of it would have disappeared. Sugar is the very, very worst thing to have, if one wishes to avoid hay fever, but ordinary uncultured milk is surely a close second.

I think that the "oil pulling" is a good technique. I'm just starting to try it. I've been having a lot of cheese, which I know I will probably have to cut way down to size, if I am to cut my waistline down to size also. I think that oil pulling may get the remnants of cheese-caused mucus out of my system.

Try to avoid being outside in the early morning, when one seems more vulnerable to pollen. If you do go out, then go to the bathroom and flush your face with a lot of water as soon as you come in, to get some of the pollen off. Have some protein and no sweets or fruit with breakfast. I found it was right after waking up that I was the most vulnerable.

You can try taking pantethine, a very potent form of pantothenic acid, along with that Vitamin C.

Comment

+1 on the honey. too sweet. the scd is a very good suggestion, get your gut healed (along with adrenal support). dairy is a no-no too. good luck buddy!
                              Red meat is not bad for you. Now blue-green meat, that's bad for you! ~Tommy Smothers

Comment

Working...
                              X