Grease burn

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grease burn

Long story short, the roast picked a fight with the bacon grease last night and I lost. I have burn spray on it right now, covered with a breathable gauze bandage taped down on 3 sides (because of where it was on my arm, the 4th side was useless if I wanted to bend my arm.)
    Any internal/ external hints for getting this to heal?
    Last edited by naiadknight; 08-13-2010, 06:18 AM. Reason: Didn't put on the antibiotic goop this morning. Forgot to.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Latest Journal

coconut oil is my go to for any burns, skin issues
    sigpic

Comment

My favorite burn remedies are butter, raw honey (especially if it's an open blister), aloe, and Burt's Bees Res-Q. I alternate them as I think of it. I've found ResQ to work better than Neosporin in any situation where I've used it.
      5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
      Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
      Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
      Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
      ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

Butter? Your information might be different from mine - I learned in first aid that this was the worst thing to put near a burn. But maybe that was just for fresh burns, as it would trap the heat.

I'd suggest pure aloe vera gel, and pure essential oil of lavender. Be sure of the quality of each, especially the essential oil.

Comment

Would they have mentioned it in first aid if it hadn't already been a common remedy? When old wives' tales come up against CW, I usually find that the OWTs win out, once we spend some time learning more about it.

That said, I don't put it on right away; first thing I do is apply a cool cloth or some such. The butter comes later, long after the initial incident. Just a healing oil, I would guess. I wouldn't put it on an open wound, like from skin that was actually burnt by fire or an open blister, either. No reason, just cuz. I'd probably only use honey for that.

We keep an aloe plant in the house for sunburns and all other kinds. Cheap and easy b/c it's a desert plant.

Comment

On further reflection, I'm wondering if this might be similar to the admonition never to put oils on in the sun. Extra virgin olive & coconut oils actually provide an SPF of about 2-4, meaning double to quadruple the amount of time you could naturally stay out without burning. But mid-20th century, people started using "baby oil" (=mineral oil = petrochemical) instead. Yes, THAT will burn you!! So I grew up hearing "NEVER use oils" but I do all the time now with great success.

Searching for "butter and burns" I found people suggesting using "butter or margarine" and people saying never to use "butter or margarine." Could it be that the "use butter" remedy turned into primarily margarine use, which led to serious worsening of the problem, leading to a condemnation of realbutter for burns? Mebbe.

ETA some more random info on it, both ways:
            http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/.../t-250047.html
            http://www.medicinechest.info/stories/278
            Seems to be a tradition from all over the world
            Last edited by MamaGrok; 08-13-2010, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Mebbe, indeed. This would've been in the 80s, and lots of households must have had nothing but margarine and still called it 'butter'. But aloe or honey still seems a safer bet.
              Last edited by Hilary; 08-13-2010, 10:29 AM.

Comment

Butter on a fresh burn will trap the heat. I've heard that cool running water will dissapate the heat most quickly and minimize damage. I guess butter or any other oil would help moisturize after the burn is cool, but I would probably just use petroleum jelly. I hope you heal quickly naiadknight!

Comment

Naiad,

I only use coconut oil. Do you have blisters? If so, it will keep them from drying out and cracking open; plus it has a mild bacteriostatic effect.
                  Probably not a bad idea to keep it loosely covered for awhile, as you are already doing.

Lo Siento mucho!

Comment

Ditto what yodiewan says. I've had many, many burns, as I used to cook/fry a lot.
                    Starting Weight/BMI: 184/29.7
                    Current Weight/BMI: 130 /21.0
                    Ultimate Goal: 125/18

Comment

Most of them are healing quite nicely, however there's a place where the blister broke damn near immediately. I'm a bit leery of putting oil or petroleum jelly on something open like that. I've been alternating between leaving it open after burn spraying and loosely covering it after smearing it with honey. Anything else I should try on this open blister?
                      Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
                      My Latest Journal

Comment

As a fry cook for almost ten years, I recieved a LOT of grease burns. Here's my take: One good use for white flour. That's right, I always keep a pan of white flour nearby when cooking in grease. If you stick your burn in it (or throw it on a burn, if necessary) as soon as the grease hits, It'll absorb the grease immediately, minimizing the burn. Do NOT RUB at the burn with flour. once the grease is absorbed, RINSE the flour off with cool water.
                        after that, I find Aloe speeds the healing better than anything else I know.
                        sigpicI'm not old, I'm Vintage!

Comment

For the open wound, I'd probably alternate honey & maybe aloe, maybe ResQ. I had a bad burn in March and it's almost completely disappeared, except for the one dang place where the blister opened - that's still mildly visible if you know to look.

Comment

Lavender essential oil, a few drops diluted in pure aloe very gel (which without thickeners is actually very watery). Put it in a small spray bottle and mist your burn a few times a day. Lavender takes the sting out of burns and bug bites, and aloe vera has a cooling effect. Lavender oil also helps promote new skin cell regeneration and lessens scarring.
                            The doctor of the future will give no medicine, but will interest his patients in the care of the human frame, in diet, and in the cause and prevention of disease. - Thomas Edison

Vancouver Island Primal and Paleo Living <<< join our Facebook Group

Comment

I'll second fresh aloe vera gel.
                              “It is a truism that almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creeds into law if it acquires the political power to do so, and will follow it by suppressing opposition, subverting all education to seize early the minds of the young, and by killing, locking up, or driving underground all heretics.”
                              —Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Working...
                              X