Girly troubles (not for boys!)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Girly troubles (not for boys!)

Continuing on from another thread on the topic of period problems... my period has gotten so much worse since going primal/paleo! Has anyone else experienced the same? I had adopted vegetarianism about 2 years before my first menstruation and for years I never experienced such intense depression or bad pain as I do now, although it was very very scant before reintroducing meat into my diet to the point of not even needing to use towels or tampons (I know that's really bad) and it would last maybe 24 hours 2 days max! Now it's heavier, I feel like I'm getting scraped out with a spatula and the depression is unbelivable, I literally had no will to live for a few days there. I used to get in an exceptionally good mood on my period wierdly enough in my vegetarian days. I'm also getting a bit narky which never used to happen. I'm not sure if it's that now I'm getting plenty of iron now and so I'm having a very healthy and so difficult period or whether my horomones are after getting out of whack from the meat or some other changes to my diet. I'm confused! yesterday I took two neurofen plus and I was still in considerable pain normally I fell fantastic after two of those bad boys. I was thinking evening primrose oil might be worth taking and Cillkat kindly suggested Krill oil so I'm going to order some on iherb, but if anyone has any insight into what's going on it'd be great.
    My primal adventures:
    http://foodfloraandfelines.blogspot.com/
    Cooking, nutrition, gardening, foraging, preserving, photography

Originally posted by Khrystyna View Post
    I was thinking evening primrose oil might be worth taking and Cillkat kindly suggested Krill oil so I'm going to order some on iherb, but if anyone has any insight into what's going on it'd be great.
    Most discussions here indicate a lessening of symptoms going primal. I would imagine though that with your previous diet you were getting a TON of magnesium compared to what you're getting now and that it's the net mg change that's causing the trouble for you.

Those seeing symptoms resolve or lessen are probably experiencing that simply b/c of the increase in saturated fat (and other nutrients) supporting improved progesterone production.

K

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

I would say that your hormones are probably adjusting. A not-so-good diet (especially if you were eating a good amount of soy) can throw them out of whack, a good diet will bring them more in balance...but there will undoubtedly be an adjustment period.

Yes, and what kat said.

Comment

Cillkat--any idea why krill oil was so beneficial for you?

Comment

I clicked.
          .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
          ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Comment

Sorry, I'm the opposite. For me, carbs and junk = short cycles with long, heavy painful periods. Primal and avoiding grains = longer cycles,shorter periods, less flow, less cramps.

I didn't see that vegetarianism per se made the difference for me. I did have more grains as a veggie, but it wasn't so excessive as most seem to assume. With me I think it's mostly the junk in general and fast food type of grains that does it.

Comment

Yes, my PMS worsened since going Primal.

Comment

I'm only two months in, but my first month was light and a cake walk. Second month almost no cramps. So for me it is much better deal.
                Food should be fun--Thomas Keller

Comment

Mine was HORRIBLE for the first 3 months. Then afterwards its been MUCH MUCH better. I say wait a bit and see if your hormones even out, and take some Magnesium supplement occasionally to make sure your gettin enough
                  Natural Selection: http://ichoosenaturalselection.wordpress.com

Comment

I had a lot of flooding and some really long periods for a few mos. when I first went Primal (as in nearly 20 days long one month!). I had been very regular and had a consistent length before that. My periods are now back to normal, length-wise and flow-wise. I think my hormones were recalibrating (or possibly increasing). My formerly awful cramps disappeared.
                    http://www.prettyinprimal.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by avocado View Post
                      Sorry, I'm the opposite. For me, carbs and junk = short cycles with long, heavy painful periods. Primal and avoiding grains = longer cycles,shorter periods, less flow, less cramps.

I didn't see that vegetarianism per se made the difference for me. I did have more grains as a veggie, but it wasn't so excessive as most seem to assume. With me I think it's mostly the junk in general and fast food type of grains that does it.

Me too, all of what she said.
                      "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Comment

Check your D-3, K-2, beta-carotene, B's, and cal/mag balance. Also your Omega-3/6 balance. All of those had to be challenged by your change of diet. Your liver definitely goes through an adjustment when you change your fats and cut out sweets and starches. It would not be surprising if that adjustment has an effect on hormones. I'm PM so don't have anything to report on periods, but I did break out in about my second and third weeks primal. I figured that was my liver cleaning out some kind of residuals from my old WOE. It straightened out and my skin is better than ever, now.

Comment

Periods go wacky when your hormones and body composition are in flux. I'm having fun with my thyroid right now so mine range from easy and light to "kill me now!"

Comment

Krytra, is it possible you now not eating enought carbs in the morning to produce enough seretonin to make you feel good and happy? I'm a little confused by a lot of what goes on here. Everyone talks about eating lots of meat and fat, but if you look at Marks Food Pyramid (which I received with my Primal Cookbook which is absoulety fantasic!!!) Fruit and veggies are at the bottom, the base of the pyramid. Next is meat and then its oils. If you look at Marks sample meal plan, he eats more veggies than meat. As for the periods, I do agree that perhaps its an adjustment, especially if you were eating a lot of soy.. not to mention, dairy and its high female hormones that come from a lactating animal. There hormones are not destroyed by cooking and we drink it and it much affect us?

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone! I don't think it's carbs as I've been very generous with them so far (I'm not trying to lose weight) and I eat lots of fruit everyday and usually some root veg too. I might start keepong a food diary and entering into fitday or the likes to see if I'm running low on anything.
                              My primal adventures:
                              http://foodfloraandfelines.blogspot.com/
                              Cooking, nutrition, gardening, foraging, preserving, photography

Comment

Working...
                              X