No announcement yet.

Birth Control and Weight Management

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was on the pill for about 15yrs, now I have the Mirena IUD. I no longer get a period, for which I rejoice!! I was still getting cramps & mood swings, about the same as on the pill, but those have lessened since I started on the PB. I haven't had kids, so insertion was not fun, but since then it's been totally worth it. (My doc says the company only markets the IUD to women with children, but that has to do with the owners' personal beliefs and not anything medical.)

This is one of the choices modern women have which Grokettes did not. An early woman who feared pregnancy or did not like children had to hope for barrenness, or stay away from men. On the other hand, early women were probably healthier to begin with, and probably not bombarded with other people's poorly raised children, so maybe those concerns were more rare.
    Personally there is little in life I would enjoy less than raising a child, so I'm willing to put up with some side effects - fortunately, the only side effects of Mirena are the kind I like!

Comment

MamaGrok, it's ok, i still get shy just responding luckily i have an iud so it's not a pressing issue, just curiosity.

Comment

I haven't seen the vaginal ring mentioned here -- it does release hormones, but they are not into your blood stream like an oral pill, they only work on your ovaries. You can skip periods by taking one out and putting the next one right in, but if you want to take a break you just leave it out. Easy to get in and out, and I never had side effects. The only down side is that they are more expensive than the pill, and neither is covered by my insurance.

Just got the ultimate birth control . . . my husband had a vasectomy :-)

Comment

I've been on birth control since 1987 almost continually. Anyone remember Norplant? I have lovely scars on my inner arms from that one.

Last week, I decided enough already, and I didn't fill my prescription. I just want to get rid of any unnecessary substances that could be bad for me long term. My periods have been lighter and my cramps almost non-existant since I'm been on PB, so I hope that continues without the BC.
          Food should be fun--Thomas Keller

Comment

Originally posted by CJ4400 View Post
            Thanks K What is the difference between Krill Oil and Fish Oil? I'm very good about taking my fish oil. And I agree with you...that PMS can be dealt with attentive focus. I wonder if it's the same with PMDD? That is just out of curiosity

Generally speaking, yes. PMDD is just a more severe hormonal and neurotransmitter imbalance. It's not difficult to fix.

If you don't mind me asking...do you use the pill as a method of birth control? It seems like the most popular form of BC is the pill with the IUD coming in second. Probably from convenience and comfort. Just curious! I figure I will need to figure this out anyway.
            Dh has had a vasectomy. However, if I did have to choose, I would use a copper IUD and would take some extra zinc to balance the excessive copper.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Comment

Thanks K What is the difference between Krill Oil and Fish Oil?
              They're very different. i take fish oil the first half of my cycle and may or may not take it the second half of my cycle. I take krill oil the second half of my cycle. If I take it nonstop, I start to have breakthrough midcycle bleeding..then after a couple of cycles more and more pre-period spotting....

What was most interesting for me was that I wasn't taking NKO for PMS, I didn't even know it had that effect.....I was taking it for the astaxanthin then suddenly had no pms. Two months in a row my period was a complete suprise and this after months of very very difficult cycles. It was at that point that I went looking for explanations and found them Here is a decent article comparing krill and fish oils for PMS. It is industry funded data, but the point is always to look at study design and assess from there. It is well done and stands on it's own from a scientific perspective.
              http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m.../ai_103194439/

Here is the one I use now. There is absolutely no reason to spend top $$ on NKO....it's already expensive as is. Personally, i prefer to use as little as possible, frequently experimenting to find the lowest dose that is effective. Sometimes I take one a day from ovulation till day two of my period, sometimes one every other day.....I just go by symptoms
              http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Neptu...els/22675?at=0

Comment

Originally posted by cillakat View Post
                They're very different. i take fish oil the first half of my cycle and may or may not take it the second half of my cycle. I take krill oil the second half of my cycle. If I take it nonstop, I start to have breakthrough midcycle bleeding..then after a couple of cycles more and more pre-period spotting....

What was most interesting for me was that I wasn't taking NKO for PMS, I didn't even know it had that effect.....I was taking it for the astaxanthin then suddenly had no pms. Two months in a row my period was a complete suprise and this after months of very very difficult cycles. It was at that point that I went looking for explanations and found them Here is a decent article comparing krill and fish oils for PMS. It is industry funded data, but the point is always to look at study design and assess from there. It is well done and stands on it's own from a scientific perspective.
                http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m.../ai_103194439/

Here is the one I use now. There is absolutely no reason to spend top $$ on NKO....it's already expensive as is. Personally, i prefer to use as little as possible, frequently experimenting to find the lowest dose that is effective. Sometimes I take one a day from ovulation till day two of my period, sometimes one every other day.....I just go by symptoms
                http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Neptu...els/22675?at=0
                Thanks.. I'm going to give the Krill Oil a chance.

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong please, but I thought IUD's are mostly for women who have had a child at least once to allow for a more comfortable fitting? Thanks for the info! Will check out PP for more info.
                  I know that my Dr. was concerned about me getting an IUD, even though he's perfectly willing to implant them in women without children. Apparently I have a tiny uterus and he thought it would be painful and the risk of ejection would be quite high for me. I was looking into Essure (which is permanent) but hubby finally agreed to a vasectomy. I've been on BC for 25 years - I can't wait to finally be rid of it!

Comment

Thanks guys. With the plethora of information it's been helpful to learn the differences between the pill and IUD's (among others). I'm still having trouble deciding upon a method and will probably opt for the pill to start with. Copper IUD sounds like a much better option IMO but experiencing moderate to severe cyclic pms stuff I'm wondering if the pill will actually help to balance/manage my hormones. (if that makes any sense)...

Comment

I'm wondering if the pill will actually help to balance/manage my hormones. (if that makes any sense)...
                      Absolutely not. It will mask what's going on for sure and that may make you feel better or worse.

It's best to just deal with the hormones first using Neptune Krill Oil (if it's low progesterone).....or various other methods depending on the issues. Also be sure you're getting sufficient D, that you have optimal 25(OH)D levels, that you're getting sufficient zinc, sufficient A to D in ratio (1 part A per 6 parts D is probably about right)....

etc etc

K

Comment

Absolutely not. It will mask what's going on for sure and that may make you feel better or worse.
                        I totally, totally agree. As mentioned in an earlier post, it's the easy way out for doctors to deal with women - throw synthetic hormones at the problem and ignore the underlying issues that are still there, and still worsening your overall health gradually over time.
                        5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
                        Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
                        Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
                        Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
                        ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

You guys are right. This is such a pickle!! I know there is something funky going on hormonally as I get severe pms symptoms in terms of mood, bloating, cravings, anxiety/stress, etc. Sometimes it gets so bad it affects my daily life. I find that timing certain supplements (much like you K!) help a little. I'm just now beginning the NKO to see how that helps.

One question I have is that I've been taking 5000IU of Vitamin D as I was deficient. How to I properly balance Vitamin A and D? I also take a multi so does this mean I should buy an additional Vitamin A supplement to help balance the Vit D?

Still up in the air whether or not I should try the pill on my next cycle. The doc already ordered the prescription for me and I don't think I am ready for the copper IUD at this point in my life. But THANK YOU for your insight and support. You guys are wonderful.

Comment

I'm just now beginning the NKO to see how that helps.
                            How much mg are you taking?

One question I have is that I've been taking 5000IU of Vitamin D as I was deficient. How to I properly balance Vitamin A and D? I also take a multi so does this mean I should buy an additional Vitamin A supplement to help balance the Vit D?
                            How much A and beta carotene are contained in your multi?

Still up in the air whether or not I should try the pill on my next cycle. The doc already ordered the prescription for me
                            I'd encourage you to wait a few cycles....it could get worse or better, but if you add in the pill, you won't know what's causing the change.

I'd add in
                            Neptune Krill (2 per day for now...)
                            Jigsaw Active B Complex
                            Magnesium...400-600 mg per day (a tolerable form....I can only orally take jigsaw time released magnesium but am very interested in the info I've see here about topical magnesium chloride/magnesium oil - ie nigari dissolved in distilled water)

And would keep calcium intake around 300-500 mg per day **from all sources**....food and supplements combined.

Comment

How much mg are you taking?

How much A and beta carotene are contained in your multi?

I'd encourage you to wait a few cycles....it could get worse or better, but if you add in the pill, you won't know what's causing the change.

I'd add in
                              Neptune Krill (2 per day for now...)
                              Jigsaw Active B Complex
                              Magnesium...400-600 mg per day (a tolerable form....I can only orally take jigsaw time released magnesium but am very interested in the info I've see here about topical magnesium chloride/magnesium oil - ie nigari dissolved in distilled water)

And would keep calcium intake around 300-500 mg per day **from all sources**....food and supplements combined.
                              I am taking 10,000IU of Vit A and Beta Carotene (50%).
                              And I am also taking Magnesium (about 300mg) during the two weeks before my cycle. I take the dissolved kind in distilled water.
                              Calcium...now that is something I don't take extra of. Will observe my food and supplement intake to see if I am deficient here.

Comment

I am taking 10,000IU of Vit A and Beta Carotene (50%).
                                Too much! You probably only need about 1/6th as much A as you take D. Most people need 1000 IU D3 per 25 lbs body weight in the absence of significant midday, full body sun exposure.

And I am also taking Magnesium (about 300mg) during the two weeks before my cycle.
                                this is best taken continually. you really need it all the time. taking 150 mg 2x per day is better than 300 mg one time per day...

Calcium...now that is something I don't take extra of. Will observe my food and supplement intake to see if I am deficient here.
                                If you eat dairy, you're not deficient there.

K

Comment

Working...
                                X