Depressed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Depressed

I've been Type 1 diabetic for 23 years. My blood sugars are very good. I have the occasional high or low, it isn't possible to have normal blood sugars all of the time when you're Type 1. But anyway I was at the optician today getting my eyes checked out, and she said that she thinks the background retinopathy has returned. I had bad retinopathy a few years ago which finally went away with laser treatment. I have to go to the eye hospital tomorrow to have them examined further.

I am so depressed about this. I never imagined it would come back again because I'm so good with my diet and my sugars are very good. She did stress that it isn't something that needs immediate attention, but that the blood vessels are there. Seems like nothing I do stops the complications from this awful disease. I already have extensive scarring on my right eye from the laser therapy, so I have no idea how it could cope with any more.

Well, that really sucks! Hang in there and I hope that it goes well for you. It sounds like you're doing all the right things.
    http://www.facebook.com/daemonized

Comment

{{{Hug}}}
      5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
      Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
      Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
      Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
      ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

You are in my prayers. Maybe tomorrow will be encouraging and someone at the hospital will be able to shed some light on what to do next. Meanwhile, try not to get overly stressed with the thoughts......you know what that can lead too already!
        Be sure to let us know whats up.

Comment

Thanks for the support, guys. I'll let you know what happens tomorrow. *hugs*

Comment

Does anyone know if retinopathy would be made worse by Vitamin D deficiency?

Comment

Poor chica. *hug* I hope it all works out.
              Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
              My Latest Journal

Comment

It seems to be vitamin A that's important for vision. Eyes and the tissue behind them are high in A, which is presumably why many tribal peoples eat animal or fish eyes.

Too much A and not enough D can be a problem (which is why Professor Cordain has a downer on cod liver oil). But conversely, it seems too much D and not enough A is also problematic. Presumably, excessive D (in the absence of adequate A) might not be good for one's eyes. The right amount of the two together is a good thing and may be specifically helpful for diabetes, but it's all very new.

Is this of any interest?

A recent study published in the Journal of Ocular Pharmacology and Therapeutics reveals Pycnogenol® (pic-noj-en-all), an antioxidant plant extract from the bark of the French maritime pine tree, can improve microcirculation, retinal edema and visual acuity in the early stages of diabetic retinopathy.
                http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releas...-ssp113009.php
                Last edited by Lewis; 08-10-2010, 11:16 AM.

Comment

oh god, i'm sorry we'll be pulling for you and i'll keep you in my thoughts. it *will* work out, it always does.
                  sigpic

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis View Post
                    It seems to be vitamin A that's important for vision. Eyes and the tissue behind them are high in A, which is presumably why many tribal peoples eat animal or fish eyes.

Too much A and not enough D can be a problem (which is why Professor Cordain has a downer on cod liver oil). But conversely, it seems too much D and not enough A is also problematic. Presumably, excessive D (in the absence of adequate A) might not be good for one's eyes. The right amount of the two together is a good thing and may be specifically helpful for diabetes, but it's all very new.
                    Thanks Lewis, I have actually been taking Vitamin D3 supplements recently because I'm sure I'm deficient in it. I've been taking about 8,000 IU a day. Do you know how much Vitamin A I should be taking along with this?

Thanks so much for the support guys.

Comment

There are no cures but I (may) have had some improvement using benfotiamine for both retinopathy and neuropathy, at least some of the problems seem to have lessened.

I have been a type 2 diabetic for 30 odd years and have had several laser treatments for retinopathy.

http://www.nature.com/nm/journal/v9/n3/abs/nm834.html

Good Luck

Comment

((((((SAQ)))))) Sending good thoughts your way. Hope someone here is able to offer something that helps.

Comment

WAP has quite a bit of info on advisable A to D ratios in cod-liver oil. Here: http://www.westonaprice.org/cod-live...il-basics.html

Comment

Originally posted by StoneAgeQueen View Post
                            Thanks Lewis, I have actually been taking Vitamin D3 supplements recently because I'm sure I'm deficient in it. I've been taking about 8,000 IU a day. Do you know how much Vitamin A I should be taking along with this?
                            I'm sorry, but I don't know. It seems to be a horrendously complicated situation and there are different opinions and new studies coming out, and then there are questions about the methodology on some of the studies.

And it probably wouldn't be the same for everyone, because some people can convert beta-carotene from vegetables to A, and some (including small children) can't.

I guess hunter-gatherers got a pretty high dose of D from sunlight and fair bit of A from foods such as liver (always one of the most prized parts of a carcase, if not the most prized), shellfish, and insects. What that would work out as and where to get these nutrients from nowadays seems unclear.

Most people in the "Paleo" camp seem to prefer to take fish oil for omega 3s and then supplement with D3 and, AFAICT, just sort of leave A alone.

The WAPF recommends cod liver oil as a source of both nutrients, suggesting it should be a naturally fermented version, stating "fermented cod liver oil contains many co-factors that may enhance the body's uptake and usage of vitamins A and D". A couple of firms in the UK import one - Blue Ice - that is. But it's controversial. It's an ongoing debate.

Comment

There is a lengthy paragraph at the end of this chapter of Nutrition and PHysical Degeneration by Weston Price that details how a native Canadian saved a man from losing his sight by feeding him fish eyes, and the tissues behind it, rich in vitamin A. (of course, he didn't know the name "vitamin A," he just knew what it did.)

Whether it has any bearing on retinopathy, I don't know, but that story, and well heck, the whole book, is worth a read.
                              5'4" 39yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
                              Current Weight: 175lb__________________________________Goal: 135lb
                              Deadlift: 240lb________________________________________Back Squat: 165lb
                              Bench: 130lb__________________________________________Pre ss: 85lb
                              ***Winning a 20-year war against binge eating disorder***

Comment

Working...
                              X